News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Slow loss of coolant!?

Started by Fast4fun, July 12, 2009, 03:44:12 PM

Fast4fun

I'm noticing a slow loss of coolant, as measured in the reservoir, over the past few track days. Each day I fill it and come home to find it near empty. What could be causing this loss? There doesn't seem to be any in the engine oil which I change frequently.

I use Engine Ice.

CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

Woofentino Pugrossi

May be coming out the overflow (which should be routed to the airbox). Another thought is you may be low and its sucking in the coolent in the tank. Could be a bad head gasket between the water jacket and piston (but that usually causes overboil). This just started happening right?
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Super Dave

Quote from: Fast4fun on July 12, 2009, 03:44:12 PM
I'm noticing a slow loss of coolant, as measured in the reservoir, over the past few track days. Each day I fill it and come home to find it near empty. What could be causing this loss? There doesn't seem to be any in the engine oil which I change frequently.

I use Engine Ice.
This is a loss of coolant in a race bike that is sitting or a regularly operating machine?:
Super Dave

Fast4fun

It's a track only bike and I've had it out about 6 times this year including one race weekend. I notice it days after being at the track or before I head out to the next track day. I always forget to check as I'm leaving the track. But this is the fourth time I've had to add coolant as the resorvior nears empty. I don't remember having this problem in the past. I'm wondering if it's an early sign of trouble, like wolf has pointed out, or something benign.
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

Ducmarc

try running the overflow hose to a bottle and see if it fills it. check all you hoses for tightness. Does it ever run warm even after a session? may be a bad radator cap or a thermostat if it runs warm. my last eposide was a head gasket naturally

Super Dave

Quote from: Fast4fun on July 12, 2009, 09:17:18 PMI always forget to check as I'm leaving the track. But this is the fourth time I've had to add coolant as the resorvior nears empty.
That would be important data you need.

I'm with Ducmarc on his checks. 

If you're loosing some coolant through the head gasket, as things cool down, it can suck up the coolant reservoir to make up for the vacuum of air space in the cooling system. 

Or you have a small hole or crack in the overflow. 
Super Dave

Fast4fun

Thanks for the input. I'll make a point to follow up on your advice the next time out.
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

Noidly1

Put red food dye in the rad. It should show up somewhere.
If not, head gasket.
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

RoyHefner

Is there any evidence of leakage below the coolant reservoir, dried coolant residue on the stator cover for example?  Earlier this season, I had a similar problem to yours.  I had broken the stock plastic elbow where the coolant overflow hose connects to the reservoir.  I replaced it with one that I bought at an auto parts stores, but that elbow was slightly smaller and didn't seal properly in the grommet, allowing a small amount of coolant to leak out when the bike was leaned over to that side.
Roy Hefner
CCS / ASRA  #163
J.O.S. Motorsports, MCC, Pirelli, Vortex, Silkolene

F2RGK

Tim,

You need maintenace as always Mr.  This isn't your wifes car ya know!!  LMao!!  Tear it down and look for leaks Mr.  Track days?  What is this world coming too?  Hehehehe.

Thanks Ron
If you're not Smilin' while you're ridin', then QUIT!

Fast4fun

Ron,
   That's now the least of my problems. My bike won't shift into fourth while going down the straightaway. Almost got A$$ packed during a race as I strugled to get it to shift. While everyone else was setting personal best lap times, I was on the sideline slowly sinking into a depression - aka drunken stupor. I had clutch issues to boot. The weekend was a complete waste.  It may be time to sell the one-off brand and get a proper race bike. Hope you're enjoying the heat. Ha ha ha!

Wana buy a slightly used race bike?

T
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

Ducmarc

don't think your the only one that break things if no one else broke us mechanics would be out of work . probably snap rings on your main shaft or countershaft depending how it's designed or could be a bent fork do you have an electric shifter

Fast4fun

Duc, could be any of the above. Talking with people at the shop, probably worn dogs but you could be right as well. Point is, no one knows until the cases are split. We'll see.
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

Ducmarc

since we are as bad as the click and clack brothers let us know what you find  since we all kinda agree that it's in the transmission   marc

F2RGK

Hey Tim,

Check your shift shaft to see if still has that Michelin tire stuck in it form that crash!!!  Heheheheeeee....LMAO!  If it's sticking in, tranny time!  I know you only have that Metric crescent wrench in your tool box, so maybe I can help ya.  Drop the motor and send it down.  I'll get it back cut for you too!  How's that for long distance motorcycle service?  I had to clarify that Service; too many people in the gutter here!!!  It is HOT here btw!  Just raced this weekend at Palm Beach (Awesome Track btw).  Boy do I have to learn Slang Spanish!

F2RGK

Quote from: F2RGK on August 23, 2009, 09:43:39 PM
Hey Tim,

Check your shift shaft to see if still has that Michelin tire stuck in it from that crash!!!  Heheheheeeee....LMAO!  If it's (gear) sticking in, tranny time!  I know you only have that Metric crescent wrench in your tool box, so maybe I can help ya.  Drop the motor and send it down.  I'll get it back cut for you too!  How's that for long distance motorcycle service?  I had to clarify that Service; too many people in the gutter here!!!  It is HOT here btw!  Just raced this weekend at Palm Beach (Awesome Track btw).  Boy do I have to learn Slang Spanish!