What do I need to safety wire on a 05 zx6r to pass tech at the july HPT event

Started by race6r, July 05, 2009, 11:47:09 AM

race6r

Can any one tell me what I need to saftey wire to pass tech at the july HPT event?
I have safety wired the:

Oil Fill
Oil Drain plug
Oil filter
added engine ice

is there any thing else that needs to be done or wire tied to pass tech?
thanks for the help

Burt Munro

Things I look at besides what you mentioned are:

Functioning front and rear brakes,
throttle snaps back to off when you let go of the throttle (doesn't hesitate in closing),
front suspension functions as it should without any strange ticks or clicks,
belly pan is solid and will keep oil off of the track if you have an engine failure,
no evidence of oil leakage,
wheel weights are taped over and metal valve caps in place,
tires in good shape,
chain properly tensioned - not too tight, not sloppy
no loose body panels,
no sharp edges on brake and clutch levers,
transponder/transmitter properly attached and in place,
overall condition of bike - would I feel comfortable taking it on the track.

As much as I hate to admit it, the following seems to hold true in almost all cases:
If the bike looks like you've put some time and thought into it you'll do fine.
If the bike looks rough and dirty and held together with zip ties you'll attract a closer inspection with a more critical eye.
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

race6r

Burt,
Thanks for the help on this issue, So I will be able to get thru tech this weekend.
Also where do they mount the transponder? and does it include a bracket?
thanks

Woofentino Pugrossi

Most mount the transponder bracket on top of the tail. Seen them mounted on the rear fenders, sides of the swingarm, in the taillight opening on Buells.

On my old racebike, even though the bracket was bolted to the top of the tail, I zip tied the transponder in the bracket with 2 different ties to make sure it stayed. Didnt even come off when I highsided the bike in 04.

Dont know if the brackets are $5 yet.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Ducmarc

check at tech before you buy one i think if you mount it under the tail you have to use the cigarette case I've always mounted on top with the clip.

Burt Munro

Quote from: race6r on July 05, 2009, 04:49:44 PM
Burt,
Thanks for the help on this issue, So I will be able to get thru tech this weekend.
Also where do they mount the transponder? and does it include a bracket?
thanks

Rulebook says it has to be no further foward than the rear axel. 

Best spot is on the top of the tail section unless you have a tail section made of carbon fiber (Blocks the signal from the ground).  Other locations, as Rob mentioned have been used, primarily because of weak signals due to carbon fiber body work.

You buy the plastic mounting bracket at registration -$5.  Registration may also have a pouch that is about the size of a pack of cigarettes - $10. (Not sure if they'll have these at HPT).

When they issue the transmitter to you you'll notice two things -

1. There are 2 blinking lights at one end - these should be positioned facing the rear of your bike.

2. There is a slight, indented channel down the length of the bottom of the transmitter - this should be positioned so it is facing the ground (aims the attenna toward the ground).  Because of this channel and the way it locks into the the bracket it is really designed to only be installed on the top of the tail section - it can be positioned elseware, it's just not easy.  If you use the pouch then this isn't an issue. 

Advantage of the pouch is that it makes it harder to lose the transmitter if you go down and makes it easier to mount under the tail.

If you use the plastic bracket make sure you run a ziptie or two around the transmitter securing it to the bracket.  The bracket holds the transmitter in a 'snap fit' and many people have found out the hard way that it doesn't take much of a get-off to knock it loose.  And if it comes loose and the corner workers can't find it you end up out on the track after dark looking for the blinking lights and hoping it's not just a lightning bug!   The pouch is more secure.

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: Burt Munro on July 06, 2009, 05:41:46 PM
If you use the plastic bracket make sure you run a ziptie or two around the transmitter securing it to the bracket.  The bracket holds the transmitter in a 'snap fit' and many people have found out the hard way that it doesn't take much of a get-off to knock it loose.  And if it comes loose and the corner workers can't find it you end up out on the track after dark looking for the blinking lights and hoping it's not just a lightning bug!   The pouch is more secure.

And add in you are responsible for the return of the transponder also. Its not cheap if you lose it. Think its about $300. If you crash, the workers may give a quick sweep of the area, but thats about it. They arent going to spend 20 min looking for one. You'll have to look at lunch or at the end of the day. When I pick up a crashed bike with the truck I do look or ask if its there.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

LJ Ken

Burt, not trying to step on your toes since you are one of the tech guru's here, but this is from the research I've done on Westhold's website (the transponder manufacturer) and from talking to their people a couple of times in preparation for running Timing & scoring this year

Quote1. There are 2 blinking lights at one end - these should be positioned facing the rear of your bike.
Orientation of the lights on the transponder (i.e. lights facing forward or backward) is not important in signal strength.  I would recommend that you mount it so that it is easy for yourself and any track worker to see the lights.  There are times when the internal battery will run down before the weekend is over, or the tower is getting a week signal from the transponder unit.  Being able to see the lights easily will help you or a track worker determine if your transponder needs to be exchanged.

Quote2. There is a slight, indented channel down the length of the bottom of the transmitter - this should be positioned so it is facing the ground (aims the antenna toward the ground).
This is what people have been told for a very long time, and I'm not going to tell anyone differently, but according to information that was sent to me by Westhold, the LABEL should face the ground.  I recently did a test with this at Gateway with a racer at speed during practice sessions who happened to have a bag mounted on his fender allowing easy flipping of the unit between sessions.  There was a SLIGHT increase in signal strength when the transponder was orientated label to the ground, but this was on the first day of the weekend, so battery strength was good. I don't think it makes a huge difference if the label or channel is pointed towards the ground.  I personally have the bracket on my FZR 400 attached to the stock subframe in a fashion that orientates the transponder label down, and apparently was getting good signals.

They do also caution against "recessing" the unit between two metallic objects (i.e. between or above dual exhaust canisters) as this narrows the signal that gets transmitted towards the ground.  I personally know someone that has his unit mounted in his tail, above his stock exhaust cans that consistently gets weak hits and signal strength on the timing system.

I have the "Rechargeable Transponder Manual" as a .pdf that Westhold sent me saved on my computer if anyone wants it.

SO - in summary, the transponder cant be mounted forward of the rear axle.  Mount it flat, preferably label down (according to the manufacturer), but channel down works fine also.  No carbon fiber between the transponder and the track, and keep the amount of metal between the transponder and the track to a minimum. Don't box the unit in-between metal either, as this creates a weak, narrow signal.

Burt Munro

Thanks Ken :thumb:

I remember you mentioning that you had info on proper positioning of the unit from Westhold.

The only thing I'd like to add is that from the experience of having to check bikes coming off track due to weak/no hits at the loop, the first thing we always check is the blinking lights.  Having the lights oriented toward the rear makes that easier.  There are also advantages to having the unit mounted in a conspicuous location if Timing isn't getting hits from your bike -it's easier for the corner workers to verify that you have a transmitter on the bike. 

The last thing you want to have to do is to mount the unit in such a way that you have to disassemble your tail section on Hot Pit or Pit In so the Grid Marshall can confirm that you were on track with the unit installed.

Remember, if you go out for a race and forget to install the transmitter on your bike you won't get scored.   If you go out for a race and Timing doesn't get any hits from your bike because of a failing/bad transmitter you won't be penalized by scoring.

And FYI....... I use the term 'transmitter' and 'transponder' interchangeably.  Guess I should go to the Westhold site to find out the proper term.   :ahhh:

**********  update  ******************

I will from this day foward refer to the electronic timing units as 'Transponders'
(or maybe Transpondmitters!)

LJ Ken

Quote from: Burt Munro on July 08, 2009, 04:02:49 PM
I will from this day foward refer to the electronic timing units as 'Transponders'
(or maybe Transpondmitters!)

Transmitponducers maybe??   How about Transduceyflugels?

I'll be sure to bring a printout of that .pdf file for you this weekend...

Burt Munro

Ken,

I'm leaving for HPT about 7am Thur - hope to be there by about noon.

Email me if you heard anything interesting from Greg.

recplex@aol.com