light weight wheels?

Started by f3racer, June 29, 2009, 09:23:07 AM

f3racer

Looking at the rule book i see that middle weight supersport only allows OEM wheels. Middle weight superbike allows much more modifications to the bike. I do not have much in the way of serious mods to my bike. just a pcIII, pipe and bmc race filter. would i be competitive in superbike or should i just sell my wheels? also would i be able to use the wheels for practice or do the same rules apply. if i can use the wheels for practice then i will have my practice tires on there and then put the OEM wheels back on for the race.
Will
Former CCS MW Novice #81, WERA Novice #81
AHRMA Heavyweight SBK #81, DD's Racing Endurance Team #773
2020 Tuono Factory, 2000 RC51, 1980 CB750/823

roadracer162

In the amateur ranks it isn't so much about the bike but more importantly more about the rider and the skils that rider possess. In the Expert ranks it tilts a little towards the bike but it is still all rider. If you can afford to keep bot I say do it. The stock wheels are better for rains anyway-not so abrupt means smoother transitions.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

f3racer

Roger that....id like to think im decently fast. turned what i would like to think as nice times at daytona last october. so i am wondering if i should go supersport or superbike.

you know what though, i cant seem to find out what people run at daytona.   anyone know what october times at daytona are?
Will

roadracer162

If memory serves me right I think you posted a lap time of 2:05. You realize that Kyle Keesee did that on a stock SV650. Not saying anything against your riding but speed is many times all relative to the comparison.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

f3racer

true. true. ok then i guess that settles that.
Will

apriliaman

many people switch wheels for supersport= stock wheels,dot tires      superbike and gp= any wheels you want and slicks if you want.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

danch

Generally switching is more about the tires than the wheels they're on.

Keep your bike superstock legal, get another set of stock wheels on ebay, and race both ss and sb.
MW Am #720

Carnag3

my R6 is SS legal but I place better in GP and SB.  I have no idea why lol.  If I had extra $$$ I would buy a set of lighter wheels.  Sell the wheels buy a rain set and a OEM set.  Replace your battery with the 11 oz one.
Carnage
CCS EX #901
www.carnag3.com

SV88

Different wheel weights and potential geometry changes (due to tire/wheel radius changes) may mess up your geometry and suspension.  Try to keep things as consistent as possible.  You do not want to have to ride differently depending on the wheels.  I personally prefer to keep the bike relatively stock (more reliable) and cheaper until I find a lot more speed...
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

Burt Munro

Quote from: SV88 on August 04, 2009, 10:51:12 AM
  I personally prefer to keep the bike relatively stock (more reliable) and cheaper until I find a lot more speed...
Which could take us well into the next century..................   :biggrin:
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!