News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

How can we promote CCS racing??

Started by jigs, June 25, 2009, 05:13:45 PM

roadracer162

Quote from: Over-ReActor on July 28, 2009, 10:01:25 PM
Mark

I think the organizers have found the fine line in pricing. I've heard people complain that their mother, brother or wife wouldn't pay to come see them (they must really suck).  So why would a stranger at any cost?  Club racing isn't a spectator sport. It's like softball or amatuer golf, you pay to play.

I am curious to how your racing day is cheaper than a trackday. My trackdays are $150-$180. I ride 7 times a day. What does it cost you for a couple races and your family to attend?

Before racing as a spectator I would come up to Moroso just to spectate with the rest of my friends, who incidentally didn't race. I think I am the only one out of that group that finally took up the challenge and take it to the track.

I typically would race just one race and sometimes two in the Florida region. Saturday all day is practice $75, and each race is $55. So practice with one race is $130 and practice with two races $185. I have been lucky to have won a couple regional championships and so with the help of Henry Degouw each champ gets a VIP gate pass for each championship. In 2007 I only won the Ultralight Superbike championship so that has emtitled me to one VIP gate pass. It is on occasion that my wife Nancy will attend mostly due to work (she is a 911 dispatcher and it is difficult to get time off). Saturday practice usually includes about 7 sessions but mostly 6 session at least. Sunday morning is a morning warm-up session and then all races are on Sunday.

So a typical race weekend at PBIR can be $185 or a track day will be $220. Homestead is a little cheaper with the race weekend being the same and the trackday being $200. At PBIR they do have their own trackday which they charge $175 and I think a gate fee for 5 sessions.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

fz6rider

My initial reaction, is "Talk it Up!"   I don't know that the $25 gate fee is keeping people away. Yes, I can see it's a challenge for families. Maybe $10 would attract people... that's little enough that most every one can afford it. Perhaps offer every one under 16 for free.  However: people need to know about it. The non-racing public. I saw my first races (and only ones to date) at HPT in Topeka. I drove 4 hours one way to get there.  There is a new track near Denver I want to check out. It's closer.   I loved the races I saw. All you racers were friendly, as was the staff. I thought I got a heck of a value for my $25.  I would suggest you use your trailers. They are moving billboards. Put "Motorcycle racing " in huge letters on the side, with a silhouette of dragging knees. Maybe add the weekend's race location on there. People will attend for the fun experience. They do need to know about it, and be invited.  If I knew all the answers, I'd be rich.   Is the cost prohibitive? I do'n t think so. Look at the prices the pro sports charge.  And NASCAR.   I don't consider that a good value. Apparently I am in the minority!

roadracer162

Some points to consider:

1) This is club racing where the club is for the members.
2) The organizers make the money on racer participation and not so much on the spectator. The emphasis is the racer.
3) Spectators are there because they are motorcycle enthusiast much like the racer except they haven't raced.
4) A motorcycle billboard on a trailer advertises what is in the trailer and provides the thief with inside information. The thief after lawn equipment breaks into a lawn trailer while the thief after motorcycles break into motorcycle race trailers. If I put graphics on my trailer advertising bio-hazard waste I really don't think that anyone would break in.
5) How many of us, motorcycle enthusiasts, actually attend SCCA racing? Not many I am sure unless there is a personal reason such as a buddy who is participating.

Can we get the word out? Yes, I think so.
Who do we attract? Other motorcycle enthusiasts, track day participants that may want to race.

I am hoping to emphasize a fan base; hospitality canopy(in my case), baseball caps with my competition number hopefully to get the crowd cheering for me, information post cards with rider information, bike information, race schedule, etc...

..and then maybe a free magazine to spread the word around the State.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

DEVINC

Quote from: skidMARK on August 06, 2009, 09:35:10 PM

If I put graphics on my trailer advertising bio-hazard waste I really don't think that anyone would break in.

:lmao: do you have any extras because i really need to put some all over my house and garage. maybe i wont get any more things stolen

baatfam

New member - First post - Hope no one minds if I join in...

This is a timely and interesting topic as my wife and I were planning on coming up to Blackhawk on the 22nd or 23rd.
I want to check out how things work up there.
Looks like we'll be there on 23rd now, ($15) and not the 22nd, ($25)...LOL
One thing to note...until I read this thread, I had no idea what we would have to pay to get in as a spectator.
I checked both the BHF site and the CCS site...if it is there, it is not easy to find.

I'm a regular bike racer, down the road from you, at Byron Dragway...(no jokes now...its a lot of fun even without the turning part)
Road racing is something I've been considering trying for some time, (heck...I've already got a trailer and gear)
Of course, I'm old and I do need to get my wife on board, hence the trip to Blackhawk....

Of interest to this thread, may be the fact that Byron packs in the spectators at $10 each...heck for $25 you can make runs on the track.
Car loads of families and kids and grilles and coolers and canopies...
Oh, and they handle two day events with different colored wrist bands.

OK...this is really an intro...hoping for good weather that weekend and a chance to meet some of you.

Bob T.

truckstop

Quote from: fz6rider on August 06, 2009, 08:17:33 PMI would suggest you use your trailers. They are moving billboards. Put "Motorcycle racing " in huge letters on the side

Which would turn it into a moving billboard to steal all our stuff.

Apriliapilot

Has anyone considered partnering with various organizations , causes and functions, I've partnered with different groups and functions with our team it helped get the word out and get people out to see what it was all about.

truckstop

Quote from: Woofentino Pugrossi on July 27, 2009, 11:27:18 PM
It used to be $10/day. But due to the retards who stayed overnight on a one day wristband, they went to the wristbands bought on saturday also include sundays gate fee. Thats the reason for the $25 on sat (well used to be $20 until they raised it to $25) and $15 on sunday.

But I thought at one point they also tried charging the full amount Saturday, and then if you leave, you get your wristband clipped and $10 or something back, which would prevent people from trying to sneak the whole weekend.

Or you do 3 colors of wristbands - 2 day, Sat only, Sun only.

There were about 6-8 guys parked in the "party trolley" that was in T4 at Blackhawk the last weekend there who had never been to an event before, and didn't appear to know anyone racing. They thought it was cool and were asking a lot of questions.

I think the draw for them was the band playing Saturday night, but they came back on Sunday too.

If it's promoted more, I think more strangers would come.

Burt Munro

There's an article in todays STL Post-Dispatch about the ADRL, a new Drag Racing organization whose business model is focused on getting as many butts as possible into the seats.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/business/columnists.nsf/davidnicklaus/story/D98FEBD1786170378625760B0002FF98?OpenDocument

The basic concept of revenue is to give tickets away and make money off of parking and concession sales.  With that approach they've latched onto major sponsors, Hardee's and the National Guard and are expecting to bring 60,000 people into Gateway this weekend.
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

KTG

Quote from: truckstop on August 07, 2009, 02:53:32 PM
There were about 6-8 guys parked in the "party trolley" that was in T4 at Blackhawk the last weekend there who had never been to an event before, and didn't appear to know anyone racing. They thought it was cool and were asking a lot of questions.

Half were passed out on the trolley Sunday :D
Gron4 Photography
Motorsports Photography
www.gron4.com

xb12racerX

I don't see how anyone can't believe that the $25 per person fee is a detriment. Do the math. Family of 4 is.....blah, blah.   I know I have friends that stay away because of that reason. People don't have the extra $$, especially in today's economy.
I think the tracks make a bigger deal about the 3 colored wrist band deal than it really is. But they stand the most to lose. Me? I'll just not race. I've only done one race weekend this year. Sucks for me as like all here, I love to race. But I also live in the real world.
mind your own damn business

Ducmarc

anybody know how the turn out was for the drag race?