News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

How can we promote CCS racing??

Started by jigs, June 25, 2009, 05:13:45 PM

ProudWife

As a spectator and part of the racing team, I do find the gate fee to be a little too high, especially when a family of 5 and some of their friends come altogether.  I believe it should be a fee per vehicle, say $25.00 per "spectator vehicle," per day, not $25.00 per person in the vehicle for both days.  The racers should be charged perhaps a $10.00 vehicle fee for parking, instead of a gate fee as well.  It's really not fair to pay such a high price on a gate fee then have to be hit for an intro fee for each race. Then perhaps riders would enter more races. Then that way, families would be more inclined to spend money on other things such as food at the tracks or other things like t-shirts, key rings, parts for the riders, etc.  Also while at the gate, such as in round track racing, raffle tickets can be offered at $1.00 to $2.00 a piece in order to raise extra money. What a good way for the track businesses to get involved there as well, as even track businesses could sell raffle tickets for parts and other prizes, keep the money for the cost of the item, then volunteer the remainder to the track if they'd like for advertising. It would be good advertising for everyone involved, and if you have a good accountant, many write off's as well.

When you look at what a family has to spend to get into the gates, on a hot day, most families will out weigh.. well do we go to the track today or do we go to a water theme park?  It's almost just as expensive.  When families come, bringing teenage children and even younger, they quickly spread the word as well.  It would be neat to see each track some how ensure the middle aged or older children could some how get involved, like say some one has a set up to where kids can get on a bike and get a feel for it.  Children are great when it comes to spreading words of excitement.  And like they do in theme parks, there could be an area where there is a tunnel of misting water, so the children can have fun and cool off.  I would say misting of water could be set up on the bleachers where everyone sits, but I can imagine that too many women in their "skivies" would be most distracting to the riders as they go by...lol.  I for one would find that an exciting way to work on my tan while I watch the races.

And I strongly believe with Mark Tenn in sharing your stories on how the events of the weekend went for each rider.   I have read many stories from Mark Tenn, and as a spectator, it gives me such an exciting insight of how the rider feels while they are on the track.  All I can say is, to everyone here.... ask Mark to post a sample of what he writes, and you will find it to be most interesting and impressive. I constantly tell him that and he doesn't believe me...lol.   I would "so love" to see other riders do the same. To me, it completes the view of the rider in whole and brings the spectators for a moment into their lives to see what it would be like as a rider as they spend their day at the track, getting ready for the races is just as interesting as the races themselves.  There are plenty of people at the tracks that can contribute to their own form of advertising one way or another.  My husband owns a business, and we promote the CCS Florida track dates and try to get people interested.  I also think that if each business owner is serious about adding followers to their cause, if you have a business web site, then add a link that takes them to your racing world and schedule.  I see many bumper stickers advertising the racing series, say for an example, CCS Stickers, they are nice, but I don't see a web site on the sticker, so if you're in a parking lot, that doesn't tell much to the person reading the sticker.  Make it more of advertising sticker that every rider will be glad to add to their vehicle or trailer. 

On another side of advertising, what if riders donated money to have a couple of stories published in the Entertainment Section of their most popular News Paper?  For instance, in Miami, we know it's the Miami Herald.  Writer's of the News Paper would love it and while the article/s are being published, then the opportunity for the next race event can be listed.  Unfortunately, more people will purchase the News Paper before they go to the book store to purchase Motorcycle Magazines.  There are so many opportunities to get it going, and when it does though, then definitely there will have to be changes to put more races onto Saturday's. 

And one more exciting thing that is missing, is someone being able to video/film each of the races.  Pictures are nice, but I for one would be willing to pay some bucks to purchase a DVD of the race day.  Just some things to think about...........
Robin Miller, Proud Member of the #359 Racing Team. My motto:  Live Life To Have Fun!

chaplain220

Surviving in this economy is an accomplishment unto itself, but it would be great to watch CCS grow as the word gets out through racers.  I believe that roadracers as a whole, in the eyes of our neighbors, friends and family, are a type of super-hero, (at least to the ones who dont think we are smokin crack), that many young people can look up to because they see that we are living out our passion and dreams of adventure.  There are so many young adults and kids in our culture that could learn from our success, failures and brotherhood on the track.  The point being, contact your local paper or news, and find the reporter who would like to come and see how average Joe citizen becomes larger than life during pitched battles on track.  Guaranteed the reporters will not go away empty-handed with pics and interviews for a great feature or bit piece.  Another great tool is the trackday.  Make some time between your sessions and on the lunch break to cruise the paddock and meet the track-day guys.  Yeah, you'll get the same questions every weekend, but it really means something to them when you wrench on their bikes for a few minutes or share some of your experiences, skills, or in my case...mishaps.  You'll be surprised how many bros you'll influence to make the jump to racing, and that translates into more racers, more family and more friends coming to watch.   Some of life's finest hours in my life have begun with rolling my racebike on its trailer and heading off to the track.  More bros need to know about what we do, and why.

xb12racerX

I like the idea of a $25 fee per car. Say no more than 4 people, then a per person fee after that. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the $25 per person fee keeps a lot of people out.
mind your own damn business

roadracer162

Quote from: Burt Munro on June 27, 2009, 03:00:02 AM
Maybe I go to too many football and hockey games...............

I think we could do more for the casual spectator who drops in and doesn't really know anyone there.  I can't tell you how many times when I've been working Grid that I get into casual conversations with spectators who are thrilled when I share info from the Grid Sheets with them.

Just little things like where the riders are from, what kind of bike they're riding.  People seem to eat this up - being able to make a connection with someone. 

' #31 is from my home town! '
' #675 is riding a Triumph - I've got an old Bonneville! '
' I know a guy from St. Louis named Probst - I wonder if he's any relation? '

I'm not talking about a full blown program - that wouldn't make sense financially.
Just a one or two page sheet they could take with them as they wander thru the pits that has just the basics......

#        Rider Name         Type of Bike        Hometown

I think spectators would love to make more of a connection with the riders if they had a little more info.

With the way things are now it just isn't that easy.

Burt - I like that idea of sharing stats. I had the idea to make up some business cards sized information cards. The color of my bike-yellow and my competition number in bold on one side then my stats on the other. This has motivated me to move forward with it again. Now how do I do this on the coputer?

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

truckstop

Quote from: Burt Munro on June 27, 2009, 03:00:02 AM
Maybe I go to too many football and hockey games...............

I think we could do more for the casual spectator who drops in and doesn't really know anyone there.  I can't tell you how many times when I've been working Grid that I get into casual conversations with spectators who are thrilled when I share info from the Grid Sheets with them.

Just little things like where the riders are from, what kind of bike they're riding.  People seem to eat this up - being able to make a connection with someone. 

' #31 is from my home town! '
' #675 is riding a Triumph - I've got an old Bonneville! '
' I know a guy from St. Louis named Probst - I wonder if he's any relation? '

I'm not talking about a full blown program - that wouldn't make sense financially.
Just a one or two page sheet they could take with them as they wander thru the pits that has just the basics......

#        Rider Name         Type of Bike        Hometown

I think spectators would love to make more of a connection with the riders if they had a little more info.

With the way things are now it just isn't that easy.

Love this idea. It could be done with existing information - say it's a black and white photocopied 8.5x11 double sided sheet folded in half - front page is the schedule - reduced to fit. Middle spread is all the riders names, #'s, city, and bike from that region. Back panel is a short description of what the classes are. (Cos the schedule is mighty confusing to a first timer) Include links to the website to get more detailed information. Make it available to people at the gate when they get a wristband. Not sure if a spectator would know to look for a schedule in registration. There used to be names and rider #'s on the back of the schedule, but I don't think that's done anymore?

The numbers get added to as new people get licensed, but really the only thing that would have to change is the front with the weekend's schedule on it.

Ducmarc

a name face and bike number would help us too. sometimes you meet on the grid and then can't pick the rider out with their helmet off .so you know it's impossible for the spectator.

truckstop

Including a picture is a nice idea, but I would imagine organizing getting headshots from everyone to be a bit like herding cats.

roadracer162

How about a really willing umbrella girl?

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

DEVINC

xb12racerX

we could all do the Rossi thing and get our face on the top of our helmets.
mind your own damn business

weggieman

Lots of ideas here but back to the beginning................you're smoking dope!

roadracer162

Quote from: weggieman on July 01, 2009, 04:06:58 PM
Lots of ideas here but back to the beginning................you're smoking dope!

I know that I am smoking, but why do you call me dope?
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22