brake fluid

Started by Ducmarc, May 27, 2009, 09:19:36 PM

Ducmarc

what kind of brake fluid are you faster guys using? my new Chinese rider seems to be able to boil the fluid .been using dot 4 castrol do i really need the $75 a liter stuff or is there something else more reasonable

Super Dave

Well, I'm kind of always looking for a path of least resistance/cost. 

But I have that stuff.  It has impressed me.  It's cheaper than a lot of other aftermarket brake items that one might be inclined to get.  Certainly good to start there early on.
Super Dave

tzracer

I have used the Castrol SRF (the expensive stuff) for years. One bottle will last a season.

Compared to the other costs of racing (and crashing) it is not very expensive.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Noidly1

DOT 5.1 is best. Stay away from DOT 5 though, it doesn't absorb moisture. 5.1 does.
If you use DOT 5, moisture will collect in the bottom of your calipers and corrode them.
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

motomaniac

I've been using Motul Dot4 for the past 8 years without any troubles.  And it doesn't break the bank either.
Ex#61

Noidly1

'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

roadracer162

Quote from: Ducmarc on May 27, 2009, 09:19:36 PM
what kind of brake fluid are you faster guys using? my new Chinese rider seems to be able to boil the fluid .been using dot 4 castrol do i really need the $75 a liter stuff or is there something else more reasonable

I tried to do a little stir fry, but it just isn't the same as peanut oil.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Ducmarc

i figured that would get your attention..  since this is budget summer i'll try the motul  if you end up in the haybales at homestead then i'll go to the premo stuff thanks for everyones input

khanson

The Castrol stuff is really good...we've used it before.

We've  run AP PRF for the last 4 years which is the same thing and a lot cheaper...we have it in stock for $41.95.

You won't have a problem with either one of those....I would look at other factors....i.e. calipers, master or lines.

What are you running for lines and is the master stock and what type of bike?
Kevin Hanson<br /><br />www.SafetyFirstRacing.com<br />Safety First Racing<br />847.357.1309

Z-man

Prospeed GS610 has been a very popular one with car guys, I've been using it for three years and love it. Way better in my opinion than the Motul stuff.
CCS #79 EX

2007 Sponsors
Speedwerks, Team Pro-Motion, Martinmoto.com, Turner Landscaping, CTR, Redline Motorsports, Oxtar, Pirelli, Amsoil, LP, Vortex

Court Jester

Quote from: Noidly1 on May 28, 2009, 11:15:50 PM
DOT 5.1 is best. Stay away from DOT 5 though, it doesn't absorb moisture. 5.1 does.
If you use DOT 5, moisture will collect in the bottom of your calipers and corrode them.

What he said
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

Ducmarc

748r it's got narrow band billet brembo's brembo billet master corse lines and brake tech rotors maybe it's because Chang refuses to use the rear brake which is  all corse (why do i bother) I tthink i'll take all the rear brake stuff off after tech and save some weight . motul 5.1 showed up. will see.what happens at homestead which has a lot of braking