News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Starting issues

Started by poppop587, May 27, 2009, 07:29:37 AM

poppop587

Maybe I just had a really bad  weekend when it came to starts, but it seems to me that there are quite a few riders that say they understand the starts and how they work when they are at the riders meeting (or maybe they don't go to the riders meeting) and then get to the grid and experience a brain freeze.  When you are in a second wave and in the second row of that wave and the two bikes directly in front of you do not take off when they are supposed to and you have to try and split them with the front end slightly off the ground is tough and could be dangerous.  In the next race I was again in the second wave.  With the 2 min. board up for the first wave there were two bike on the front row of the sencond wave that were changing positions on the front row.  They got hooked together and barely got seperated before the green flag waived for the first wave, at which time the bike directly to my left took off with the first wave.  He then stopped at a 45 degree angle directly in front of me in between the two bike in the row in front of us.  To my horror the green flag was then waived for our wave.  I had to remain stopped until the rest of the wave past me and the rider parked in front of me got moving.  I know the race officials do the best  job that they can under the circumstances but the riders need to step up and make 110% sure that they understand the starts as described at the riders meeting.  Some of the worst injuries occur on the starting grid.

wadehead

Which Races?  I know I screwed up my starts in the 2 races I did.  AM GTO and AM UNL Superbike.
#152 EX Mid Atlantic Region
Integrated Sports Medicine and Physical Therapy

poppop587

They were both AM races.  They were races 2 and 12 on Monday that I was talking about.  I understand that we all from time to time might jump a start slightly.  But not going when you are supposed too is far more dangerous than jumping a start if you just keep going and take your meatball.  Attempting to stop or stopping is just not smart.  You are going to get the meatball anyway.  Just keep going.

ktd

I got the meat ball myself and I am not sure what I did because I was watching that guy hard.  I see movement and I took off.  Then I come back by and see the meatball flag for two laps but not my number.  So I stop looking thinking it is for someone else.  Turns out later they put me up and I didn't see.  So I got docked one lap.

wadehead

I didn't jump the start in the AM GTO race just bogged way down because I guess I didn't really want to start in 1st gear.  My very 1st start ever BTW.  The 2nd race I jumped and should have just kept going and stopped after the first lap for the meatball.  Lesson learned and will not happen again. 
#152 EX Mid Atlantic Region
Integrated Sports Medicine and Physical Therapy