The Weirdest Issue I have ever encountered

Started by gsxrsrad1000, May 15, 2009, 09:23:24 AM

gsxrsrad1000

Alright for all you mechanics/troubleshooters out there, I have an issue that I need insight on!  03 Gsxr 1000 This is my track bike.  I have never had any starting problems with my bike.  I wired my bike a long time ago so I didn't need a key.  I also did away with the kick stand switch and clutch switch, so basically I can start my bike and go. 

A couple weeks back I was coming back from a track day and when I got home, my boy told me my bike had been idling.  Seems as though the bike must have shifted in a way that the canon dancer switched on the bike and pressed the start button LOL funny right!
Weird if you ask me but it happened.  My boy cut the bike off and gave me the heads up.

Fast forward – I finally got a chance to look at the bike and here is what is happening.  The bike will not start.  Symptoms – When I turn the bike on, the fuel pump kicks on and goes off normally.  When I hit the engine start button, it activates the fuel pump.  So literally, every time I hit the start button, the fuel pump will kick on and when I let off the pump stops.  The starter does not engage what's so ever.  Any ideas?

Things I have tried – I already replaced the ignition and engine run/kill switch to rule out electrical problems for those two things.  I was testing the starter relay for 12v and on all four wires got nothing which was odd, but when I plugged it up the fuel pump kicked on and went off normally.  I also got that "click" sound from the relay.  At this point I think the problem is relay or starter related. 

Does any one know, if the engine is started and you press the engine start button while the engine is started, will starter stay in engaged or does the button go into a block state when the engine is started for safety reasons? 

Thanks for all your help on this matter, I gotta get back on the track asap, I got the itch.... 

-Paul

123user

So, If you hit the starter button the starter will turn, but engine will not turn over?  The fuel pump sounds like its operating normally.  It shouldn't run unless the engine is turning (ignition pick-up is sensing rotation)

If the bike was running and starter button was depressed for a while, I'd bet that you fried a starting sprag.  A quick way to find out if the engine is turning over is to put the bike on the rear stand, shift into 1st gear, hit the starter button and see if the back wheel turns.  If you can hear the starter go but the rear wheel ain't turning, then you'll be buying some parts.

The very existence of Canyon Dancers illustrates why fairings suck!  Why anybody would want to cover a racebike in expensive, easily breakable plastic is beyond my comprehension? 

gsxrsrad1000

The starter does not engage at all!!!!! nothing, the only thing that happens when you press the start button is the fuel pump cuts on and cuts off when you let off the start button.  NO STARTER AT ALL, and they are race plastics.... but I understand the point you are trying to make.

Super Dave

When you wired it to not use the keyswitch, did you put a resistor in the wiring?  I think Suzuki needs a 100ohm resistor or something.
Super Dave

motomaniac

Ex#61

Cowboy 6

Quote from: motomaniac on May 15, 2009, 10:49:06 PM
Canyon Dancer fried your starter...
This makes perfect sense. What would have caused your CD to stop actuating the starter button? It kept "starting" the bike until the starter fried.

Good call Moto!
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

Super Dave

Quote from: motomaniac on May 15, 2009, 10:49:06 PM
Canyon Dancer fried your starter...
I think you got it, Jimmy.  Good reading.  Battery is probably dead too.
Super Dave

motomaniac

Ex#61

Garywc

I had a bike send intermittent power to the solenoid while the bike was running which inturn fried the solenoid and the starter

and it was sending the intermittent power because the start button went bad. and that had to be replaced too
that was in 2004 on a 2004 Harley
CCS/ASRA #77
AMA #776
http://www.eastcoastsupertwins.com
Monmouth Cycles,Woodcraft, bel-ray,AXO

GSXR RACER MIKE

I agree with a fried starter, starters are short run motors that are not designed to run continuously, if the starter button was held down by the strap it probably wouldn't take long at all to burn out the starter motor.  :banghead:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

gsxrsrad1000

Fellas and possible ladies, thanks for all the information and great insight.  Since the starter would not turn over at all, I connected the two wires from the starter relay.  The one red wire coming from the battery and the black wire going to the starter.  I got a nice spark but the bike turned over which ruled out the starter and told me it was the starter relay.  I replaced the relay and the bike started like a charm.  Hopefully this post will help someone else out that may have this issue.  Again thanks for all the helpful information and looks like I will be making the June 1st track day at VIR :)

-Paul

GSXR RACER MIKE

You got lucky that it was the relay that fried 1st!  :thumb:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96