Lots of Bone Head moves at HPT...

Started by Noidly1, April 27, 2009, 02:04:51 AM

Noidly1

I can understand being new to racing, as we all were at one time, but Dayum, there were a lot of them...

Hell, I even got ass-packed on the warm-up lap as I was about to turn into 7. WTF???
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

skiandclimb

Congrats on your podium, Dion! The bone-heads will always be there, bro.
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

Greg_Williams

One surprise (of several) for me was that we had more than one rider crash on the cool down lap.  I know it's easy to lose focus because you're no longer racing, but more than once in a day?  It sucks for the racers in the next race sitting at pit out when we have to recover the crasher.

Sorry to hear that you got tagged on the sighting lap.
Greg Williams

Cafe Racer Inc.
816-221-0711

www.caferacerinc.com

funsizeracing

How about the entire race that jumped the start.  I guess they couldn't meatball all of us! :banghead:
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

Burt Munro

Oh yeah.......  the infamous 2nd wave that morphed into a single wave! 

Looked to me like there wasn't much of an advantage to anybody.   

:biggrin:
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

funsizeracing

You should have meatballed all of us.  It would have made for an interesting race seeing everyone do a stop and go!
Becka
CMRA EX #126
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

Burt Munro

I don't think my arms/shoulders could have handled trying to hold the Meatball flag out that long in the 30-50 mph winds!!   :ahhh:

funsizeracing

Quote from: Burt Munro on April 27, 2009, 03:54:53 PM
I don't think my arms/shoulders could have handled trying to hold the Meatball flag out that long in the 30-50 mph winds!!   :ahhh:
Are you feeling ok today?  Not the usuall "shit disturber" comments we've come to expect from you!
Becka
CMRA EX #126
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

alexm

Dion - interesting topic. So I was behind you most of the middleweight superbike race; care to explain your interesting choice of lines through turn 14 leading onto the straightaway?

R1Racer99

Can anyone describe any of these bone-headed moves? I didn't see any that I can think of.

I can say that all of the guys up front in the amateur races rode very clean and didn't try any stupid moves. I was only there on Saturday though so maybe Sunday was different.

Grashopr

I didn't see any seriously stupid moves other than the rumors of someone helping girl on the F4i go down (not that her crashing was a stupid move, but there were rumors that she went down while being passed by an expert that was lapping her).  I have no idea what really happened with that, anyone hear how she is doing? 

CCS #303

Old Woman in a Cage: "WHAT were you thinking doing wheelies down the road at 60 to 70 mph??!!"

Idiot on a Triumph: "Oh we HAD to be going faster than THAT ma'am!"

RuschRacing23

I was sitting in turn 12 watching the race where Tea (F4i girl) crashed and i watched the entire thing start to finish. There was an expert that passed her on the brakes going into 10 and he was already exiting 12 by the time she got there (Rob Jensen is mighty fast). Something spooked her probably the wind but who knows and she stood the bike straight up which was very odd considering nothing was going on? Anyhow she went into the grass and grabbed a whole lotta front brake but better tuck the front in grass than ram straight into the flag stand which was where she was headed. Luckily she stopped sliding before than. It still sucked when she was done sliding because she was not moving. It took a good minute before she even twitched. From what I heard no serious injury on the CAT scan. GET WELL SOON TEA!! Were praying for you.

God Bless, Eddie
Ride for Him, Live for Him

CCS Midwest- #3:16 Expert
2007 GSXR 600/ 2001 SV 650

Christian Sportbike Racing
CSBRacing.com

Look for the Red, White, Blue tent

Noidly1

Quote from: alexm on April 27, 2009, 05:58:16 PM
Dion - interesting topic. So I was behind you most of the middleweight superbike race; care to explain your interesting choice of lines through turn 14 leading onto the straightaway?
I'm having a problem with either the bike or me, probly me.
Last year I thought I had it dialed in at Putnam and Gateway, but for some reason it seemed like the bike keeped wanting to go wide on exits at Topeka.

When you were following me, what was I doing wrong at 7, for some reason I can't get that chicane right without cuttin the grass.

'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

Noidly1

Quote from: R1Racer99 on April 27, 2009, 06:45:35 PM
Can anyone describe any of these bone-headed moves? I didn't see any that I can think of.

I can say that all of the guys up front in the amateur races rode very clean and didn't try any stupid moves. I was only there on Saturday though so maybe Sunday was different.
I had a couple of peeps cutting across from the right curb to the left going down the hill after the straight going slow.
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

tstruyk

LOL, have you met Dion?   :biggrin:
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Burt Munro

Hey Noid!

I wanted to thank you for choosing your own unique line through 14.  Everytime I saw a bike running wide there I knew it was just you using all of the track - plus a little extra!  :kicknuts:   :biggrin:

Noidly1

Quote from: tstruyk on April 27, 2009, 11:33:03 PM
LOL, have you met Dion?   :biggrin:

Ha Ha Timmay, Bite me...  :ass:  :biggrin:

Quote from: Burt Munro on April 27, 2009, 11:35:00 PM
Hey Noid!

I wanted to thank you for choosing your own unique line through 14.  Everytime I saw a bike running wide there I knew it was just you using all of the track - plus a little extra!  :kicknuts:   :biggrin:
Just getting my money's worth...  :thumb:
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

Burt Munro

Quote from: funsizeracing on April 27, 2009, 04:53:14 PM
Are you feeling ok today?  Not the usuall "shit disturber" comments we've come to expect from you!
I guess the wind blew most of the crap outta me!!!. 

And Becka, you got that partially right.  It's supposed to be 'Not the usuall "shit disturber" comments we've come to know and love from you!'

Supergirl

I made it back home :)

what a weekend!!!

Ed, Roy told me that he had talked to you and what you told him. I pretty much remember (or I think I remember) everything up to the crashing point. I could swear the passing expert (following Dan Ortega who had just passed me before that) passed me on the inside of 11, and although I've been passed a few times closely that weekend (and before, so it doesn't freak me out), i swear i saw his rear inside the 11 sliding towards me, so i thought before we both go down to who knows where, it might be a better idea to stand up the bike and go into the grass. As that worked out, for a fraction of the moment i thought 'great, that worked out' but at the same moment i realized that i was still carrying quite a bit of speed and as soon as i grabbed the front brake, i realized that it was a thing i was told before never to do. well, this was my first run off into the grass, so i think it was a  natural reaction.

in any case, i in no way doubt what you were saying, just thought that from the angle where you were standing you might have not seen the super fast expert passing and having already passed me by the time i went down.
i wish i had gotten to talk to you at the track, but if you're 100% sure, then i hope i'll maybe recollect what had happened. i just know that i had no doubt in what i remembered, given i knew the reasoning going into the grass to the point of grabbing the front brake... let me know all you know :) maybe it will help.

in any case, both CS and MRI showed no damage, but my eye nerve is pinched and is not working properly. i'll go to see neuro tomorrow and i hope he can fix my eye soon. very soon!!!

all in all a great weekend and i guess despite the fall, a great first racing weekend. that last race, i actually finally got to pass two people and felt great. correct me if i'm wrong, but this was the last lap of the race, right? 4 more turns to go..
one thing is for sure, i don't think i've ever gone that fast on a track that i haven't known before, and i am sure i'll have another 10 seconds to pick up next time i'm there.

Thanks to everyone who made the weekend to what it was, and a super big thanks to Meghan and Jen for all the help and a super big thanks to Roy for staying with me in Topeka for the MRI today and until we got to Chicago.

I had a great time since Thursday, and I hope to see you all at RA and BHF this season!

t.

oh, Alexa, my leathers need a tiny repair I think... a tiny one if i go by my bruise on the leg. ;)
IMMIGracing
CCS #56 - Arlen Ness Racing, Hindle, Silkolene, Suomy, Woodcraft, Vortex, Sharkskinz, PopShadow, TrackdayMag.com, CyclepathRacing.com

MegRyan

T- I'm glad to hear everything came back ok. Hope to see you back on the track soon!
~Meg Ryan~

benprobst

Quote from: Noidly1 on April 27, 2009, 11:17:58 PM
I had a couple of peeps cutting across from the right curb to the left going down the hill after the straight going slow.

What was wrong with this line? Its probably the most common line through there for slow guys. Its hard to force yourself to stay on the outside of alpha with the throttle pinned as your crest that hill. You naturally want to go in there tight, then stand it up striaght and go to the outside to do your braking, then come back in for T1. Kinda like you rolling off the throttle at start finish at gateway, then getting on the brakes, then opening the throttle again to speed back up, then closing it, then getting past the wall, then opening the throttle again, then braking through 1 then FINALLY getting to T2.  :biggrin:
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

alexm

Quote from: tstruyk on April 27, 2009, 11:33:03 PM
LOL, have you met Dion?   :biggrin:
I've met Dion on the track only, I'm sure he's a great guy off track as well!

Dion - I thought entering turn 7 was one of your strong points, but you were using very wide lines all around and often ran turn 8 wide. I think I was a major offender of the starting line bone-head move you speak of, it was my first time at this track / first time out this year and simply didn't know better.

Supergirl - praying for a speedy recovery, hope you get better asap!!

Super Dave

Quote from: Supergirl on April 28, 2009, 12:22:23 AM
I made it back home :)

what a weekend!!!
Yeah, good to hear you made it home.  Sounds like we had all the correct info about your injuries before we left the track on Sunday...which was nice as it was continually better. 
Super Dave

Super Dave

Quote from: Burt Munro on April 27, 2009, 03:54:53 PM
I don't think my arms/shoulders could have handled trying to hold the Meatball flag out that long in the 30-50 mph winds!!   :ahhh:
I noticed that.  You really had to choke up on those sticks just to hang on for simple stuff. 
Super Dave

Burt Munro

Quote from: Super Dave on April 28, 2009, 11:20:34 AM
I noticed that.  You really had to choke up on those sticks just to hang on for simple stuff. 
Yeah, kinda like back in Peewee baseball when you're trying to keep up with the 'fastball'.  Just trying to shorten up my swing!  :biggrin: