News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Aprilia 750 Shiver

Started by Camronmon, April 16, 2009, 02:37:19 PM

Camronmon

It seems to me that the Aprilia SL 750 Shiver would qualify in the Lightweight classes.   I am wondering if anyone has experience with these bikes considering the decent hp and light weight.   

Does anyone race one?? If so would you recommend it as a competitive bike??

Camronmon

Super Dave

I have yet to see one.  Maybe someone has.

On paper, it sounds good.

But...   :biggrin:

You're thinking about starting racing, so I'll give you some ideas about the lightweight classes and starting racing.

Racing a bike that is more common is an advantage to you.  First reason is that if you're on a budget and you crash, it's really very likely that the people you race with are going to try and help you with their extra parts and knowledge and work to get parts replaced, put on, and put on correctly very quickly.  If you have a bike that is unique, well, you're on your own. 

Spare parts.  If the bike is a lower production, uncommon bike, well, you're not going to find little gifts of parts on Craigslist, eBay, or on racing forums.  If you do, they will cost a lot.

Next, knowledge.  I touched on it earlier, but I'll point it another direction.  A reasonable and clear recognition of how to set up a particular bike is an advantage that is really handy when starting out.  Might be shock lengths, might be particular issues with master cylinders or calipers.  Or oiling issues when adding power. 

I think for lightweight classes, you've got an opportunity in the SV650 and in the Buell's.  The SV has two generations, the first starting in 1999.  The Buell XB series started in 2003, and, while it is kind of old school in the push rod, air cooled engine, the chassis rocks.  Buell even offers contingency to amateurs.  Both have a good following, and there are lots of examples and parts out there for each. 

Maybe that gives you a few more ideas.
Super Dave

APP_Racing

I to wondered about the Shiver.  I asked a few folks and this is what I was told.  Should do some investigation to confirm though.  Great motor with lots of potential.  Terrible frame and suspension with very limited aftermarket racing parts available.

Fun trackday bike yes, Full out Lighweight Race bike no.
A Dean
APP Racing LLC
St. Louis, MO
314-757-0364

Donate today!
www.redflagfund.org/

terbyb

heres a link to an Aprilia forum....  lots of good people with alot of good Aprilia knowledge... maybe they can give you the answers or some good insite....         http://www.apriliaforum.com/
Therapy is..... spending all day where there are no speed limits...

SRobertson

I have a fully prepped Ducati 1000 LWSB I'll sell ya!   If the price tag on a Duc makes you cringe (although probably cheaper than the Aprilia) look for a prepped SV650.  Both are great beginner bikes, easy to learn on and cheap to run if you keep them maintained. 

Best of luck!