Cost of Racing!

Started by Camronmon, April 15, 2009, 10:34:21 AM

Camronmon

Hello all,

I am a noob looking to start racing.   I have past riding experience but am looking to purchase an SV650 and start tearing up the track.   

Right now I'm in the process of putting together a ballpark budget of what I should expect to spend in a typical year of racing, (I'm hoping to hit 5 or 6 races and possibly a couple of track days).   If any of you have kept track of your expenses and could shed some light on typical costs (leathers, bike, parts, tires, entry fees, maintenance, travel, etc.)   I'm trying to get the most detailed idea possible, gotta make the sales pitch to my wife.   Hope you experienced guys can help out!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Camronmon

123user

If you're just goofing off, maybe 3000-6000 (minus the cost of bike purchase) depending on how many races you run and how far you live away from the tracks.

If you're serious, buy a new bike, build it, buy spares, buy good protective equipment, race a full season w/3-5 races per weekend, use good fuel, go to daytona... but still sleep in a tent at the track.  Figure upon $15,000-$25,000 the 1st year... about $7000-$10000 for the next 2 years, then about $15,000 your 4th season (got to freshen up the bike) and so on and so forth.  Suprisingly, racing gets cheaper the longer you race... as you accumulate durable goods.

For the 2007 season I kept really good records on what I spend... I'll never do that again.  Just like when climbing a ladder, don't look down. 

DakotaCBR

You don't want to keep a record of expenses. It will just lead to depression.

In all seriousness, I am keeping track of my expenses this season. I am a very poor, very slow AM working on the most minimalist budget I can possibly put together and still get to the track. I do not buy expensive parts or bike parts that will do me no good at my skill level, only consumable spares like levers, clip-ons, etc. (Eg, I'm using the stock exhaust, no PCIII, 87 Octane, etc) I am on a stock-motored 05 Honda CBR600RR that I purchased as a salvage and built into a race bike myself.

I have done 3 events this season and I plan on doing 3-4 more. My total so far is almost $3,000, which includes EVERYTHING that goes towards racing (Gear, Gas, Food, Gate Fees, Entry Fees, License, Tires, Decals, Suspension Work, Etc.)

1 of my events this season was at Daytona, which was pretty expensive but was offset by the fact that I live 5 minutes from the track. I also plan on doing ROC in the fall. The other 4-5 events have/will be at Jennings and PBIR, both about 3 hours away from me (to factor driving distance and gas money). Also, I had to purchase a new motor this year, which adds to the total more than usual.

I plan on spending about $6,500 to get to 7 events this year, so a bit less than $1,000 per event. It would be more expensive for me but I have wonderful sponsors who are willing to help me along the way, which I am very appreciative for. This total is a far cry from what most other people spend, but I feel like I have a very minimalist budget and try to do as many things as I can on the cheap. I do not buy cheap parts or cheap gear, but I do camp whenever possible, stay away from buying expensive bike parts that I don't need, and we don't go out to steakhouses every night after practice or racing.

Hope this helps.
Jon Hatcher - CCS FL #308

hamurobby

First of all, welcome to the forum :)  Its hard to pinpoint how much you will spend on any given weekend. Racing is no more expensive than track days, the cost is similar to even cheaper depending on how many races you run in a weekend. Tires, fuel etc is the same, you can spend a little money or "all of it" depending on your budget. Camping at the track, and buying used tires from an expert racer and using pump gas will save you tons of money over a season of riding, and your first year you probably wont benifit from using new tire$ or race ga$. I would at minimum, figure $500-$800 for a bare bones weekend with used tires and three or so races. Travelling expenses will change that depending on how far you must travel and if you need to miss a day or so from work.
Waldo, the first cat of Jennings gp.. I miss you, rip buddy.

roadracer162

This is how I did it. I bought a 1991 FZR600($1500) that was minimally prepared for track weaponry. Bodywork sourced from Airtech ($500). I raced it that way for a couple years until it needed to be freshened, then built the motor along with flatslides ($3000). Of coursr there are incidentals that came later such as clip-ons, brake lines and rearsets but nothing too drastic.

Won 2 Amateur Championships in 2005 racing Thunderbike and LW F40. Fared ok against the new bikes of the time in 2005 in Middleweight starting 22nd and finishing 9th after running off the track in one race. Won another Expert Championship in 2007 for the LW F40. Mostly competing in Thunderbike and LW F40 where it best fit.

Tires: Bridgestone slicks ($325) lasted two weekends racing the two races. I used a second set of rims($100) for spares and the fresh slicks. I didn't have rains and raced on slicks in the rain. Won a race or two even on slicks in the rain. 93 octane Amoco for fuel.

Rider gear: Close out helmet in solid ($150-$250). Leathers ($400), Gloves ($60) Teknic speedstar also closeouts. Boots ($100) that's right more closeouts.

A race weekend typically cost; Registration $185 for Saturday all day practice and two races on Sunday, gate fee $25, tires average $250, fuel 9 gallons @$3.00=$27, for a total of $487. Food and board is up to you. I figure I was gonna buy food for myself anyway. I live by PBIR so that's next to nothing in cost just the drive. HMS is 100 miles away and I drive home to care for the horse (fuel cost there $60) and then there is JGP at 6 hours drive.

It is my belief that the SV will cost about the same as my FZR using tires about the same and more as you get faster. Maintenance is dependent on you and how mechanically inclined you are for general maintenance. I did most of my suspension and chain stuff. Unless there is a crash or breakage it is typically within reason. I believe for the same amount of ride time the cost for a race weekend is about the same as a track day on a lightweight bike. Gotta remember that the Florida CCS region is a two day event with Saturday all day for practice(changing a little now) and Sunday for all the races. Saturday practice will allow up to 7 sessions.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

George_Linhart

Excluding the cost of the bike and gear - here is my guess.

If you go cheap and focus on cost controll you can probably get away with $500 per race weekend.  This means camping at the track, bringing all your own food, using tires untill they are shot and most importatnly, not crashing.  If you crash, costs go up exponentially.

If you want to focus on going fast - its all a matter of cubic dollars.  My general expectation is to spend between $1,000 and $1,500 per race weekend.  Its not hard to  spend substantially more on a twin sprint weekend between extra race entries and tires.

You really have too want to do this for it to make any sense.

George

spyderchick

Cost of racing? All of your Money and Self Esteem. Here's why:

1) admit your bike sucks

2) spend a bunch of money making it lighter (carbon fiber, magnesium, titanium). spend a lot of time cutting off all those little frame bits that you don't need anymore, because you'll NEVER want the bike street-legal ever again.

3) admit your bike still sucks, but is easier to load into the trailer

4) spend a bunch of money to make more horsepower

5) admit that your bike not only sucks, but is unreliable

6) spend a bunch more money so the power you bought *is* reliable

7) admit that the bike is fast, but un-ridable

8) spend a bunch of money getting your suspension redone

9) admit your bike is fast, un-ridable, and more expensive

10) spend lots of time trying all those settings, and getting no change in lap times.

11) admit that you have no idea what all those knobs and screw are for, and find someone who knows what they're doing, suspension wise.

12) admit that your bike is now light, fast, and handles great, but that you suck.

Note: If you stay with the sport long enough, you can repeat this cycle endlessly. Subsequent cycles can omit all odd-numbered steps, and consolidate the even numbered steps except 12, giving my patent-pending "Two Step Program for Racing":

1) Throw all available money at the bike

2) And realize "I still suck"

:biggrin:
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Camronmon

lol thanks spyderchick for the list, it makes perfect sense.    Thank you everyone else for the numbers and info.   Thats exactly what I was looking for.

I live in Fort Myers FL about 2 hours from PBIR, I'm gonna go for the May weekend to watch, learn, and meet some people.   I can't wait to get into racing and start makin some new friends!

Camronmon

spyderchick

Quote from: Camronmon on April 15, 2009, 01:08:49 PM
lol thanks spyderchick for the list, it makes perfect sense.    Thank you everyone else for the numbers and info.   Thats exactly what I was looking for.

I live in Fort Myers FL about 2 hours from PBIR, I'm gonna go for the May weekend to watch, learn, and meet some people.   I can't wait to get into racing and start makin some new friends!

Camronmon

I didn't write it, it's been around for a while. Since you're just getting into it, I figured you'd get a kick out of it.

Good luck!
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

roadracer162

Quote from: Camronmon on April 15, 2009, 01:08:49 PM
lol thanks spyderchick for the list, it makes perfect sense.    Thank you everyone else for the numbers and info.   Thats exactly what I was looking for.

I live in Fort Myers FL about 2 hours from PBIR, I'm gonna go for the May weekend to watch, learn, and meet some people.   I can't wait to get into racing and start makin some new friends!

Camronmon

Since you are gonna make the drive, you may as well bring the bike. If you don't yet have a bike, maybe you can talk me into renting my FZR400.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Camronmon

Wow thats awwfully tempting, I don't have a bike yet and probably won't for awhile. I work construction in southwest Florida so take a wild guess as to my financial status. 

I will be at the races on Sunday though hoping to learn as much as I can (paper work, race process, race prepping the bike etc.)   I'll definately keep an eye out for you #22.   Where in Florida are you??

Camronmon

Super Dave

I think everyone is pretty spot on. 

This is a terrible sport with giant swings of the pendulum.  At time's, you're the man, and others you're just struggling and learning all the time.  That even applies when you're "fast" trying to get faster and faster.

Having fun with friends, family, and racing folks though can be so valuable though.  You're doing what you can do with what you have.  It can be kind of a nice reward to take something that isn't so great and really put in a good effort.  To go out and to learn to overcome the regular obstacles.  And to share that fun with the people that you race with. 

Being close to a race track can be handy as it doesn't add so much to your overhead of travel.  How you like to live at the track can play in that too.  Tents and the back of trailers or trucks are always cheaper than hotels.  But some like hotels as part of their racing experience.  Definitely try to leave yourself some money to go out to eat with friends in the evening if you can.  I think one of my big highlights to years of racing is eating at all kinds of different local favorites around the country. 

And have fun.   :cheers:
Super Dave