Lap times???

Started by Speedballer347, March 29, 2003, 11:07:22 AM

Speedballer347

Are the CCS transponders (2002) accurate as far as lap-times?

I know the XT 'on bike' timers are all off.  
Stop watches are good, I guess...human error?

But what about the CCS transponders from last season.  I am asking, cause I am trying to see if I have an accurate/true lap-time on myself.
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

EX#996

When Paul used them at RA last year....

The lap times I recorded and the lap times that the transponder recorded were the same.

Dawn  :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

OmniGLH

QuoteI know the XT 'on bike' timers are all off.

What makes you say that?

My XT has been accurate to DanO's MyChron which has been accurate to my stopwatch...
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Litespeed

I would say my XT gives me correct times to when it actually works.

Speedballer347

QuoteThe lap times I recorded and the lap times that the transponder recorded were the same
WooHoo... :D
I was using Didier's transponder time's in March's UnLtd-GP as a baseline for my best times.  

QuoteWhat makes you say that?
My XT has been accurate to DanO's MyChron which has been accurate to my stopwatch...
I honestly don't know much about them.  
One of my teammates is my research guy, and is usually dead-on w/ his info.  
He said there could possibly be some descrepency w/ them.  Said a stopwatch was a little better for accuracy.  Heard the same thing from a few other guys.  
None of our guys have ever used them, so it was all speculation on our part.  After what you posted, I now know they are accurate.

I personally kinda figured the stopwatch was the worst of them all due to human-error, but apparently I am wrong on that one.

Basically my buddy said the transponders weren't a good way to judge lap-times, and there was descrepency w/ my best  pre-bad-frame laps...which kinda bummed me out...so I posted this in hopes that the transponders were accurate, and my 'best' times I had been braggi....errr... telling people were indeed correct.
That was really why I posted, not to dis the timers.  Sorry Bro.

Hey Jim, more importantly:  The guy who lent me the frame gave me the OK to stunt it up :o :D :D :D
Word on the street, is that the hiway wheelies went out w/ da hoola hoops.  It's all about draggin tail at 10mph now.  I'm gonna have the only GSXR at the track w/ a wheelie bar :D ;D
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

OmniGLH

QuoteHey Jim, more importantly:  The guy who lent me the frame gave me the OK to stunt it up :o :D :D :D
Word on the street, is that the hiway wheelies went out w/ da hoola hoops.  It's all about draggin tail at 10mph now.  I'm gonna have the only GSXR at the track w/ a wheelie bar :D ;D

Oh jeezus.

The 12:00's are ALL you buddy.  I may have skilz but 12:00's aren't one one of them!  Unless you'll let me count ones that I can attempt on the XR80...
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

OmniGLH

Why do I get the feeling I should probably give my lawyer a little proactive "hello" before next weekend, just to let him know that I'll probably be bringing some business his way shortly after next weekend???
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

sdiver68

What I said was either they are inaccurate at times OR people are fudging their #'s :O.  Like way too many instances of timing lap after lap of a guy with a stopwatch, then the same person coming in and saying he was running 1-2 seconds faster.  Yeah, which am i going to beleive, the times i personally have recorded on the watch or his word?  

Stopwatch is pretty damn accurate.  I synched mine up with someone else, and we were always within .1 secs of each other on others lap times, usually just a couple of hundredths.

High 11's in March, in case you were wondering. ;)

MCRA Race School Instructor

MELK-MAN

get a my-chron.. with all the money we spend on tires, suspension, motorwork. ,etc.. no way to keep an accurate record of you progress without a lap timer. Sure a stopwatch will work, but are you always going to have someone there every lap? there is NO arguing with an onboard lap timer. You will often think you were going fast moving all over the bike and sliding on track, only to get back in a look at the 8 lap session with nothing great. Then you can say "that didnt work..." clear the timer, put on another sprocket,  work on bein smooth and see what times register.. Perhaps the single best investment you will make if your even a track day regular..  :)
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

sdiver68

Although I am getting a lap timer this year...Super_Dave you have one of those XT's ??? ...the best way to measure your progress is your race results.  The object is not to go as fast as you dare...but to go as slow as possible and still win.  Lap timers are a great tool that can help you achieve that goal...but progress is meaured by results...not the time on a watch.
MCRA Race School Instructor

Speedballer347

QuoteHigh 11's in March, in case you were wondering.
That sure ain't what the CCS transponder showed ;D ;)

MELK-MAN

QuoteAlthough I am getting a lap timer this year...Super_Dave you have one of those XT's ??? ...the best way to measure your progress is your race results.  The object is not to go as fast as you dare...but to go as slow as possible and still win.  Lap timers are a great tool that can help you achieve that goal...but progress is meaured by results...not the time on a watch.

i didnt realize there were so many out there that had the problem of only having to ride well enough to win... ;)
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice