Really dumb question

Started by MightyDuc Racing, March 29, 2003, 09:40:25 AM

MightyDuc Racing

I needed a container to store some fuel in because I had a leaky can that was stinking up the garage.  All I could find this morning was a 5 gallon marked for Kerosene.  Will it hold gasoline safely?  I'm pretty sure it will, but the can is labeled safe for kerosene, while the gas can is labeled safe for "petroleum products."  Can anybody help?

Thanks.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

EX#996

Kerosene is a petroleum product.  It will work.

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

MightyDuc Racing

I know kerosene is a petroleum product, but is it less harsh than gasoline?  I know the gas can will hold kerosene, but I don't want to find the kerosene can leaking the gasoline in the morning...that would suck.  Thanks.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

EX#996

All fuel cans are made from the same materials.  It will work.  Just don't put Kerosene in a styrofoam container.   ;D

Dawn   ;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

MightyDuc Racing

You mean I can't use a cooler from 7-11 as a spare ???  

;D ;D ;D
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

Woofentino Pugrossi

TEchnically, you arent allowed to transport gasoline in a container not labeled and approved for gasoline. Same with kerosene and diesel. Now are the cops gona bust down your door? No.

But if you just did it to stop the leak and are getting a new can, its perfectly OK to do temporarily.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

r3card

hey duck i have two 15 gallon empty netec drums with the lids if you need one.

r3card

oops just rememberd that your in cape coral.  oh well.

MightyDuc Racing

Thanks anyways..I appreciate the offer.  Where'd you get the Nutec from?  Are you happy with it?  I've been looking into race fuel.  Got a good racer support program from Power Mist Fuels, but by the time I get it shipped down here, it costs retail and I wind up having to store a 50 gallon drum somewhere.  What do they sell at the tracks down here, and about how much am I looking at?  Just curious...thanks again!

Bryan
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

motard11

Mr. Duc, I would realy recomend not storeing 50 Gallons of fuel at home. It is real dangerous, but even more so is a leakey can in your garrage! This may sound extreme but, All my fuel and paint cans are out in the shed a buddy of mine (firefighter) made me start and I feel good about it. Always better safe than sorry. Hope I dont sound like a MOM.I have heard enough horror stories to last a lifetime  Motard11 ;)

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteMr. Duc, I would realy recomend not storeing 50 Gallons of fuel at home. It is real dangerous, but even more so is a leakey can in your garrage! This may sound extreme but, All my fuel and paint cans are out in the shed a buddy of mine (firefighter) made me start and I feel good about it. Always better safe than sorry. Hope I dont sound like a MOM.I have heard enough horror stories to last a lifetime  Motard11 ;)

SO the 15 5gal full gas cans in my room are not safe? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

KBOlsen

That, and John's Nitromethane.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

MightyDuc Racing

On the same sort of subject...how long is the 93 octane pump gas I bought for moroso gonna be good for?  Will it still be okay may 3rd?  Bought it on march 15th.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

Woofentino Pugrossi

Pump gas is generally good for 6 months in storage (sealed is best).
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

MightyDuc Racing

Cool...it's only about 10 gallons.  I may just dump it in the car and buy new when I get closer to Jennings.  I don't like hauling full cans of fuel that far if I don't have to anyways.  Plus, I heard they have race fuel at Jennings now too...that true?
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors: