Why did Suzuki discontinue the SV1000s?

Started by cbr600_mj, March 24, 2009, 10:13:11 AM

cbr600_mj

Does anyone know why Suzuki discontinued the SV1000s?

I have been looking on the web and get varoius answers.

Thanks!
MJ

tzracer

Didn't sell well enough?

In the current economy I would be too surprised to see manufacturers reduce model lines to only better selling models.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

cbr600_mj

My thoughs were the same. Economy and sales of the bike.
Just kinda bummed since my street ride is the SV1000s.

123user

I'm still trying to figure out why they discontinued the TL1000S... its awesome!  My TL is awesomer than the SV1000, especially with the TL1000R motor I transplanted in it.

Super Dave

Poor sales.  Might be able yet to find some of the 2007's yet on showroom floors.  Even with generous Suzuki contingency during that time.

Great bike.  Surprised me.  Weighed a lot less than the TL, but made less power. 
Super Dave

cbr600_mj

Do any of you guys race the SV1000s in CCS??
If yes, what classes do you run them in and what were some of the key mods you needed to do before you raced it. I was thinking of turning it into my race bike.

Super Dave

Quote from: cbr600_mj on March 24, 2009, 02:49:12 PM
Do any of you guys race the SV1000s in CCS??
If yes, what classes do you run them in and what were some of the key mods you needed to do before you raced it. I was thinking of turning it into my race bike.
I was one of the few that ever did.

M4 pipe, Hyperpro front springs, 15wt fork oil, fork caps flush with upper triple clamp, Hyperpro rear shock (set up at stock length), steel braided front brake lines, Factory Pro ignition advance key.  520 chain and sprockets.

My fastest time at Blackhawk was a 1:12.7 that single year I raced it.  I raced Supertwins, HWSB, HWSS I think, and ULGP.  It's not as fast as a 600 at all.  Well, an older 600.  Handled very well.

At the end of the year, I had Jim Rashid tune the fuel injection with a Factory Pro Teka unit and I added fork tube extenders to the forks and ran them flush too.  Extra 17mm of front end height, actually.  I still have a set of those left from the bike. 

The wheels and rear rotor are from the previous generation GSXR's.  The front rotors are pretty much unique to the SV1000.

I think the first year SV1000S had better fork internals, but the later models had other advantages.  The fork internals are garbage, but, honestly, I had little to complain about with my fork set up. 
Super Dave

cbr600_mj

Thanks for all the good info Super Dave!

123user

Actually, the SV1000S weighed about the same as TL1000s, but it didn't borrow its rear suspension concept from a 1972 MG-midget either, which made it "feel" lighter.  Plus, the ECU got way better... it ran much more smoothly.  I don't know if it harder to ride a TLS slow or fast.

Really, the TLR was much more the turd than the TLS... it made about 10 more HP, but weighed 35lbs more.  I'm still mad a Suzuki for discontinuing the TL-series and building the V-Strom... what an ugly, useless, over-powered piece of crap.  

I think that if Suzuki hadn't pulled the plug on Yosh's TLR superbike program, that there would have been some real competition for the RC51... and this whole [ridiculous] 1000cc I4 superbike platform could have been avoided.

SV88

Wasn't the TL a disaster of a bike - starting with the rotary knob rear shock and going thru a ton of gear lash.  Clearly a step towards the SV1000k.  Ironically, I went almost as fast on my stock SV1 @ TWS than on the race R6... But then I'm slow anyway.

The SV1k is a great street bike except for the small range.  It's too heavy and underpowered to be a credible race bike.  Many SV1k's were endurance raced...
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

Super Dave

Only reason SV1000's were endurance raced was because of MotoST.  That's not many. 

I've been on some TL's.  Not really a disaster.  Most of the RC51's I've been on were worse and had more issues with a non rotary shock.

As for the SV1000 being a credible race bike, it was fine.  It was what it was.  I made money with it.  Other bikes were more money too, GSXR's, etc.  Even a Buell XB costs more but has less power new compared to the last SV1000.  And the XB is credible, isn't it?
Super Dave

benprobst

Quote from: Super Dave on April 18, 2009, 06:55:35 PM
  And the XB is credible, isn't it?

The more you tell yourself that the more true it is!! right? right? RIIGHTT?

:biggrin:
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565