Crashed Helmet

Started by Charlotte Zedlitz, May 04, 2002, 07:21:50 PM

Charlotte Zedlitz

Hi!
I just started roadracing and if this is a dumb question...blame it on my rookie status.  When I went through the school, I was told to never wear a helmet after it has been crashed.  The reason given was that there is a fiberglass caseing on the inside and once it has absorbed an impact that it is useless.  Even if there is no visible damage to the outside.  Well, yes, being new to the game I had my first crash.  There is no visible damage...but I want to be safe.  I have gotten many different  "opinions" on the subject.  Does anyone KNOW what is right??
Thanks,
Charlotte Zedlitz

sdiver68

The only "opinion" that should matter is your opinion of your head.
MCRA Race School Instructor

Bob239

If it is a Shoei or Arai, they will saftey inspect the helmet for free if you send it to them. If it's another brand that doesn't offer this service, then you need to decide what's more expensive... a new helmet, or your head. A significant impact to the helmet will make it less effective (or non-effective) the next time it takes a shot. Helmets work by self-destructing to absorb impact energy.

Charlotte

wera331

Its time to let it go. :(

Gixxer124

If you hit your head, replace it. If you didn't, you crashed, not your helmet. :)

ysr612

124 is right if you put no scratches on it.  It is fine but even a small scratch could me you changed the crush speed ( remote but worth thinking about).

Eric Kelcher

The "official" way of telling is look for any damage to the gel coat that extends down into the fiberglass IE missing gel coat, indication helmet took a blow or "softening" of the helemt stucture
Second on the interior of the helmet the expanded poly-styrene (or other suitable material) should have come painted any depression of the is material will reult in "white" showing; that is an indication the helmet has "lost" some (all) of its protection.

Those are the things we look for in tech. minor scartchs okay but no deep gouges  
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

GPgofast

I had my Arai checked out. They will do it for free. Pretty obvious when they are bad, but marginal ones it is best to be safe than sorry.

Super Dave

Suomy makes a nice helmet.

Call Gearbox International in California to see what they recommend.

Maybe they have a service, maybe not.  But maybe if you feel that you might need a new helmet, maybe they'd be willing to sell you a new one at a better price given what you are doing.

We can speculate all day long, but sometimes it's best to go to the source.
Super Dave

hmpmark

GPgofast,

Where did you send your helmet to have it checked out?  I have tried to contact Arai, but the website does not offer any contact info unless I want to order a catalog.  In fact, it seems impossible to talk to a real person at Arai.

I replaced my Arai that I was wearing in a low-side with a new helmet, but I would like to know if the old one is junk, or if I can still use it as a back-up.

Thanks,

Mark

BrianRoach

Here's the info for Arai:

1. Include $10 check (for return shipping) made out to Arai.  

2. Short letter describing the incident dynamics (fell off a bike going 60mph. Saw Elivs, Jesus, and the HVM, etc).  In addition, state that you would like some kind of letter/statement that says that the helmet was inspected on <date> and helmet is <good/bad>.  Also state that you want the helmet back regardless.

3. On the shipping box, write "URGENT/INSPECTION" so that it gets bumped in front of the Q.

4. Ship to:

ARAI Tech
       5921 Colony Dr.
       Bethlehem, PA 18017

5. Questions? tel: (610) 837-4210

- Roach

hmpmark

BrianRoach,

Thanks for the info.

Mark

Charlotte

The initial blow wasn't to the head, but after I slid off the track I began to tumble, thats when my head (helmet) hit.  I'll just find out where to mail it off.  I really don't want to buy a new one.  But I am kindof fond of my head, so I guess I'll have too.  D*mn this is an expense hobby! ! Thanks!!

Charlotte

The initial blow wasn't to the head, but after I slid off the track I began to tumble, thats when my head (helmet) hit.  I'll just find out where to mail it off.  I really don't want to buy a new one.  But I am kindof fond of my head, so I guess I'll have too.  D*mn this is an expense hobby! !
Thanks,
Charlotte Zedlitz

Charlotte

Okay, Yes I'm a dork I see I posted twice!  Newbie-yes, I know.
Charlotte Zedlitz

Super Dave

Yes, it is.

But don't think of it as a hobby;  think of it as a habit.   LOL!
Super Dave

Fanatic

I'm curoius are you the Miss FUSA, Charlotte.

r6_philly

in the last issue of Roadracingworld, there is a crash helmet comparo. Each of the manufacture will inspect your helmet and suggest on keeping it or buy a new one. The Suomys are handled through Gearbox International. you should contact them to see the exact process.
http://www.gearboxinternational.com/