Rearsets

Started by 1hot03r1az09, March 10, 2009, 09:18:10 PM

1hot03r1az09

How many people would be happy if they can't afford the expenisve rearsets from woodcraft, vortex, or whatever else makes them, but you were able to make your factor rearsets adjustable at a third of the cost?

LilJayRR

Not me.

Factory rearsets are to flimsy.. I'll stick with my woodcraft rearsets.
Jason Gibbens
Expert #62 Mid-Atlantic
2007 GTU Team Challenge Champions!
2009 ZX6R RnR Cycles, Repsol, Dunlop, Woodcraft

tzracer

I do not like racing with folding footpegs.

Some aftermarket are much more crashable than stock, also separate parts are also available.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

SV88

Why are folding pegs a no-no for racing?  Is it that they provide additional protection for the bike when it's down or is it more the danger of trapping a rider with the bike?

Not crazy about Woodcraft in general.  Good product but no customer service.
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

GIGOLO

Quote from: 1hot03r1az09 on March 10, 2009, 09:18:10 PM
How many people would be happy if they can't afford the expenisve rearsets from woodcraft, vortex, or whatever else makes them, but you were able to make your factor rearsets adjustable at a third of the cost?

I think that you are implying that you are going to find a bracket that moves the rearsets up and back.  Which, if thats true, is not going to work.  Speaking from experience, that bracket just allows the whole assembly to flex more.  The stock rearsets on my bike were way too low, you gotta remember that these machines were designed for racing but intended for the street. That means they (the factory) has to account for all variables, like short people, tall people, people that dont want to be in a superman position while going to work.  More hardware on the bike than is needed, in my opinion, is the reverse of what should happen.  Any experienced racer will tell you that the more you have on your bike, the more there is to break, malfunction, or impossible to replace at the track.  A rearset is one of the first things to hit the ground, I have woodcraft rearsets, they have been through 4 crashes and no problems.  My stock rearset, with a shitty little bracket for racing, broke just from the bike falling over in my garage.  The biggest persuasion to buy an actual race rearset, is the at the track availability, there is always someone willing to sell you a spare footpeg if you need it.  Put it this way, you save $200 on a cheap replacement.  Lets say you crash on friday practice, and have to go home.  Was that $200 worth it?

gpz11

Well, I've run the stock rearsets on my RC51 since the day I got it. I've crashed it a few times and they've been fine. I also have a few sets of spares for much less than buying a aftermarket set.

On our SV, I have stock gsxr rearsets with the adjuster plates. Once again, it's cheaper to run them and buy a few spares than buy aftermarket ones.

The aftermarket ones do look cool though.

backMARKr

We have used NFC Racin rearset plates w/ Woodcraft rearsets not so much for rise, but because we realized that in a crash the plate bent first as opposed to the rearset assembly itself. Cheaper to replace the plate.

Have never had an issue with Woodcraft. Everytime I call out there I get good customer service and questions answered.

hope this helps...

M
RRP
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

RCR_531

You can get the ones from Woodcraft that use some of your stock parts pretty reasonable. They use stock brake and shift levers with this rearset. http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=17605
Rodney LeQuia

Biggs Motorsports  RCR Kawasaki  SBS Vortex  Conti
Lithum Motorsports

ronhix

Woodcraft for me please.   :biggrin:
Ron Hix
Hix Racing #975

2010 Partners - Hawkeye Superbikes - Trackdaystore.com - Dunlop - Ohlins - Arai - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Ayden Lee Leathers - Vesrah - SIDI - GP Tech - NESBA - CLSB

123user

This is the way I do it.  I buy a piece of 6" x 12" x 1/2" aluminum, I draw the outline with a Sharpy Pen, then I cut out the outlines on a band saw, then I drill mounting and peg holes.

I also like to leave a little meat of the 1st iteration to add different holes in case I'm not happy with the position.  The whole process costs about $20 and takes about 2 hours, which includes lathing and knurling rigid pegs.

They look uglier than homemade sin, but work great.

Super Dave

Well, there was a time when, years ago, we just raced with the factory foot pegs.  My TZ250 had pegs that wouldn't fold up, and that's when I found out that pegs that remained in place helped kind of keep the bike off the pavement, reducing some damage.  I think it slowed it down too with the steel, on that peg, driving into the ground vs the slippery bodywork.

The stock pegs and brackets are production items that are built inexpensively for the purpose of riding, not falling down.  I've crashed OEM pegs, got up, they looked fine, then, later, they broke because the crash produced a small crack in the piece, and it eventually failed.

I'm a Woodcraft user, and I've seen and made brackets bend where certainly the OEM piece would have broken.  Sometimes, even, the bend in the Woodcraft piece is enough to keep one going without having to attempt to rebend it. 

As they are, GSXR's have riser plates to move the stock peg brackets around. 

Customer service wise, I've had great luck with the Woodcraft family for years.
Super Dave

Xian_13

Quote from: SV88 on March 11, 2009, 09:37:41 AM

Not crazy about Woodcraft in general.  Good product but no customer service.

Really?
No, really? you think so?

I had an issue with a woodcraft order back in Sept.
My wife emailed woodcraft and Eric Wood called her within minutes of getting the email.
I'm not sure who you tried to get service from.
Woodcraft seems to be on the ball from this side of the fence.

XIII
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT