Poll: Tire Warmers?

Started by Nate R, March 28, 2003, 07:07:04 AM

Nate R

Just Curious about the % of you on here that use them.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

tigerblade

Don't have any yet, but they are high on my list for purchase.
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Dawn

Paul didn't use them the first two years racing (no $$$), but we will be trying them this year.

Dawn   :)

Jeff

Year 1, I "couldn't afford" tire warmers
Year 1, Race 1 went down on cold tires

$400 repairs + $200 warmers by year 1 race 2...

Funny how that works.

Certain things are expensive (tires, suspension, warmers), but bodywork, broken parts and insurance deductables (broken person) make it all justifyable
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Dawn

Jeff - that is so true.

Paul would need to take it easy the first lap of every race until the tires would come up to temperature.

KBOlsen

They are next up on my list.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

MightyDuc Racing

I love mine.  Do I use them exactly to perfection?  Who knows, but at least the tires are somewhat warm when I go out.  And they really help keep the tires near temp between practice sessions just by putting them on without plugging them in after coming in from the track.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

LSTD

Exactly.  Other than obvious wear, heat cycles are what breaks down a tire as well.  A fellow racer had a conversation with a tire rep at national event.  He said that simply mounting the tire warmers after coming in from a race/practice session is good...  slowing the cool down of the tire is good.

He also mentioned that it's good to rotate the tires every 5 to 10 minutes when their powered on and toasting the tire... meaning, turn the wheel a 1/2 rotation so that the "top" of the tire is now at the bottom/closest to the ground.  Hot tire temp makes its way to the top of the tire, ergo, rotate the wheel to get the "other side" of the tire as well.  This is especially true for the front wheel, because the area of the tire under the front fender gets that much hotter.

Granted, this is splitting hairs, but I'm all for as much even heat distribution as I can get.  :)  Take that for what it's worth.

Gixxer124

In a sprint race, there's not a lot of time to make up for taking the first lap easy. Everyone with tire warmers are putting the hammer down from the start. The big problem with warmers is you have to have electricity to run them. Warmers plus a generator really cuts into the budget. :'(

motard11

I barely got a handle on things so here goes!  I bought 2 sets of tire warmers both diffrent and I think it helps me with my confidence whien I first roll out. I usualy pinit on the first or second lap. Before I bought  some warmers it would take me a long time to get them up to temp. My bike naturaly likes to slide but its real hard to control with cold tires I didnt fully understand that untill I first tryed them. Next time you go to JGP give me a shout and you can try a set of mine. Motard11 ;) PS I read somewhere someone has come out with tire insiluators (not elctric) to keep them warm between rounds 8)

Dawn

QuoteIn a sprint race, there's not a lot of time to make up for taking the first lap easy. Everyone with tire warmers are putting the hammer down from the start.

That is true.  The one thing that Paul learned through this experience is how to work his way through the pack.  If he started in front.....  I don't know if he would know what to do with himself. ;D

If you have tire warmers, you will probably want to invest in a generator.  Electricity is sometimes not available or not reliable at some of the tracks.

MELK-MAN

if you want to go hard right off the start, you better have em.. but like mentioned above, without a generator, your not going to be able to use them all the time. I can not tell you the difference in the way Michelin pilot race tires feel right away now that i use warmers. They are GREAT tires but slick as snot when cold...
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Steviebee

cOOL  I SUBMITTED A VOTE FOR YES.

sry bout the caps.  

And i havent raced yet, but im planning on several weekend this year in the MW region.  After much consideration i decided that i would almost need them.  I usually take 2 laps before ill try to push my max corner speed ( read that MY MAX CORNER SPEED) before i feel comfortable.  1 lap is proable good , some say 1/2 lap but i just dont feel comfortable untill 2 laps.   so in a 8 lap race, 1/4 of the race i would be going really slow, so it made sense to me to get warmers.  Any thing that make me more comfortable must be good right ??

OmniGLH

Tire warmers rule.  I bought mine before my first race... I wasn't taking any chances.

Lemme tell ya... the very first time you try them out, and hit T1 on the first lap at full speed.. it's definitely a "stomach-in-throat" experience, as you force yourself to trust the warmers  :)

...it's a cool rush  ;D
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Super Dave

DOT tire technology has changed quite a bit in the years that I have raced.  

Tire warmers are NECESSARY for those who race.  The current production technology in the construction and compound is like that of a full race tire.  So, the tire needs heat to work correctly.

Now some unheated tires cold shread.  How about tires that don't warm up until the second race lap?  It really is a safety issue.  Unfortunately, it makes the whole racing process more expensive, but the greater margin of error that one has with so much better traction allows a rider to get away with a bit more on the track.
Super Dave

MightyDuc Racing

As far as the expensive part goes for warmers...I'm gonna refer to the words I was offered when I first came on here looking for help.  It's a rule I've chosen (to the best of my budget's ability) to live by so far in racing.  Which is cheaper, a set of tire warmers...or bodywork, clipons, rear-sets, frame straightening, and medical bills?  Get the message?  Buy some warmers!  I'm a new racer and I absolutely go WFO into turn 1 and they stick like glue thanks to my warmers.  What a tremendous advantage in a sprint race!  I can't wait to start from the front row in May!!!

MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

EX#996

Paul and Dawn Buxton

motard11

Heres one for ya. Did you know they even make "shock-warmers" Motard11 ;)

Super Dave

Super Dave

EX#996

Quote Heres one for ya. Did you know they even make "shock-warmers" Motard11 ;)

But I thought that I read that the shock-warmers were not much of an advantage to use.

Dawn - Confused again!   ???
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Super Dave

QuoteBut I thought that I read that the shock-warmers were not much of an advantage to use.

Dawn - Confused again!   ???
I use one.  I can tell the difference.
Super Dave

EX#996

QuoteI use one.  I can tell the difference.

You'll have to mentor me one of these weekends.

Dawn   ;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Super Dave

You're signed up for class, so you're already in... ;D
Super Dave

Xian_13

Listening to all the Tire warmer talk...
I am really starting to rethink Not having them...
Unfortanately I don't have the cash for warmers and a Gen.
So I anyone want to rent me Warmers with the option to buy?  ???
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

MightyDuc Racing

I would buy some used warmers (that's what I did) and get to the track as early as possible to try to get a pit with electric.  Next option is to beg and borrow somebody else's electric with a long extension cord (make sure it's a good one and a large gauge).  Third option is to at least have them for the rounds when you DO have electric available and only go without them if absolutely necessary.  I personally am borrowing a generator from a local tool place (or renting one if theirs isn't available) for the Jennings round just in case.  You can rent a generator pretty cheap from an industrial tool place.  Good luck!
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

Xian_13

Never thought about renting a Generator!

Infact I am thinking I might miss the first MW race, and use that money to get warmers... (if I can find a used set  :-/)
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

MightyDuc Racing

MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

motard11

Hay X, I have an extra set if you would like to try them but once your used to them, well youl see. Are you going to br at JGP soon? Motard11 ;)

Xian_13

Sorry I am in the Midwest, so I don't see JGP in my near future.
However, can you send me pics, and will the fit a Middle weight bike, 120 180/17 (I believe)?
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

Woofentino Pugrossi

AS soon as I can afford it, I'm getting a generator and warmers.

BTW what the minimum wattage that you need in a generator for warmers? I seen 4000w generators for $375 as Menards.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

OmniGLH

QuoteAS soon as I can afford it, I'm getting a generator and warmers.

BTW what the minimum wattage that you need in a generator for warmers? I seen 4000w generators for $375 as Menards.

I think most warmers require between 900 and 1000w a set.  So a 4000w generator is a bit overkill if you're JUST gonna run warmers.. but probably perfect if you plan to also run a fan, a radio or tv or something, etc...
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteI think most warmers require between 900 and 1000w a set.  So a 4000w generator is a bit overkill if you're JUST gonna run warmers.. but probably perfect if you plan to also run a fan, a radio or tv or something, etc...

Well then I could run an A/C in the trailer also. ;D ;D ;D

But if its possible, I might set up the trailer so I can plug the generator into a plug to power 120V lights and outlets. :D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Super Dave

I believe that some warmers take more wattage, so figure a good 1500 Watts.  And if you want to run something else...you'll need the extra wattage or the warmers won't work correctly.

I might be selling my generator to get a new one...
Super Dave

sdiver68

That 4000 watt generator for $400 will probably be pretty loud :O

I figure as an average 1200 watts per set.  I know my teammate and I ran 2 sets last year on a 3000 continuos watt version no problem...
MCRA Race School Instructor