News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Trail Clutching?

Started by Rick Johnson 29, February 10, 2009, 03:34:26 PM

Rick Johnson 29

I just heard about this technique.For those who do not have a slipper clutch like myself.
(Trailing the clutch to the apex to modulate engine braking and thus to prevent rear wheel
hop.)Have any of you used this technique before? If so does to work well or help?
Rick Johnson
Expert 29, ASRA 291, Wera 29
2011 SE Unlimited SS Champ                                                               
2011 2nd MA GTO,UnlimitedSB,SS,GP                                                   08 Suzuki GSXR 1000

Garywc

I dont think its a good idea
if you dont let the clutch out  your suspension isnt under load andy more putting more weight on the front and your bike is lower giving you less ground clearence
and if you are leaned over when you let the clutch out theres more of a chance of loosing traction do to contact patch and weight distrubition.

just my thoughts i could be wrong
CCS/ASRA #77
AMA #776
http://www.eastcoastsupertwins.com
Monmouth Cycles,Woodcraft, bel-ray,AXO

P_M

Ok, from a non-racer..  :biggrin:

I used to do it a lot with my old Buell (XB9) and it seemed to be the natural way to feed the power back to the wheel.  Usually no drama when I was smooth going through a corner, however if it slips and the revs were up.. Well.. lets just say it was interesting exiting the turn..  It does allow you to keep the revs up and be 'back on the power' without having to wait for the engine to spool up (I used to idle through turns - still do a little but I'm trying to get better at it)..

Hope that helps.
Ok, so I'm faster with my camera then you are with your bike..

Black Cowboy Hats - Keep the sun off my neck.
Nikon (because I use the best)
RnR Cycles - Great folks, great service
Team Pro-Motion - Just for the fun of it..
Photographing the Racing because I love the Sport and you folks ROCK!

Super Dave

Yeah, you can carry the clutch all the way to the apex modulating it.  Even with a slipper.  Really depends upon the feel you're looking for, but you can modulate the chassis with it.  You could make a mess of it if your chassis set up is crap though. 
Super Dave

bel-biv

i did it with my 954
basically you just hold the clutch in a little bit on the last downshift into a corner (not all the way into so that the rear wheel is disengaged from the engine - you just hold it at the "slip")

once i got used to it, it became automatic - just drag the clutch on that last downshift and viola!
no more wheel hop

that said, i'm loving the slipper on my r1
Steve #176

www.patriotracing.us
Making a difference through motorsports.

Full Spectrum Power | Innovative Motorcycle Research | Cornerspeed | Orient Express | BG Oil | Online Paddock | On The Throttle

Sobottka

yep... drag the clutch lever (just slightly) during downshifts and you have a "manual slipper" 
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

tug296

Going into turn 13 at Jennings GP always seemed the perfect place, I always thought it was bad for clutch plates.
Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

dylanfan53

+1.  Just doesn't seem like the cure fits the illness...which I'd think could be addressed by better gearing and braking technique...IMHO and all that.
Don Cook
CCS #53

Rick Johnson 29

I might try it on a trackday and see how it works.I'll also ask a few mechanics if
they think this will wear the clutch plates much quicker than normal.
Rick Johnson
Expert 29, ASRA 291, Wera 29
2011 SE Unlimited SS Champ                                                               
2011 2nd MA GTO,UnlimitedSB,SS,GP                                                   08 Suzuki GSXR 1000

bel-biv

its probably not "good" for those clutch plates, but probably not that bad either
high rpm upshifts with the clutch are probably the absolute worst thing you can do to it
i can't see how dragging it a little here and there will torch it, but then again people tell me that i'm dumber than a bag of hammers on occasion, so hey.....
Steve #176

www.patriotracing.us
Making a difference through motorsports.

Full Spectrum Power | Innovative Motorcycle Research | Cornerspeed | Orient Express | BG Oil | Online Paddock | On The Throttle

RAISING CANE

I use this technique in a couple places even with my slipper. I can run into a chicane hard and modulate the clutch as I'm already in my exit gear #2. Just gotta be smooth with clutch release cause if you are leaned over and you allow it to engage too much things can go wrong real fast. I learned this watching D-wire run into the 12-13 chicane at Homestead super fast.
Glenn Penland
CCS EX# 502
Sponsored by FAST LANE GRAPHICS for all your printing needs call 954-304-1422

danman67

The technique was almost a natural carry over from dirt especially when I started backing the bike in to deal the transition on the back straight at NSS. Even with a slipper clutch it helps to modulate the slide on entry and then spin on exit.