Michelin Contingency

Started by ldub143, February 09, 2009, 12:57:37 PM

Super Dave

Quote from: Burt Munro on February 09, 2009, 08:44:31 PM
How much do you charge if you don't mount them backwards???   :kicknuts:
Hey, backwards tires have won races.
Super Dave

R1Racer99

Hey Melka, you've ridden on these new tires, what's your opinion on the 180 vs. 190 with this tire on a 600? I've heard both opinions and it seems to depend on the brand of tire and the track but I'm wondering if the new Michelins are any different this way than the PRs because Tom Mason always recommended the 180 for me in the past.

sahli833

just talked to my uncle tommy mason it is going to be 15 for tire swap but is included in new tire purchase as it was in the past

MELK-MAN

Quote from: R1Racer99 on February 11, 2009, 10:44:07 PM
Hey Melka, you've ridden on these new tires, what's your opinion on the 180 vs. 190 with this tire on a 600? I've heard both opinions and it seems to depend on the brand of tire and the track but I'm wondering if the new Michelins are any different this way than the PRs because Tom Mason always recommended the 180 for me in the past.

Listed to Tommy, he knows whats what. Michelin superdude Robert Jensen im pretty sure prefers the 180s on his 600.
I tried a 190 only a couple times with the past PR series. I ran similar lap times at Jennings as the 180 and at other tracks it did not accelerate as fast or flip from side to side as easy. Im positive you loose some HP with the heavy 190 tire. There has to be some advantage and some disadvantage to a 190 on a 600 as other brands work well for their riders but i dont think dunlop has a good 180, only a 190. . I went back to the 180. I may try the NEW 190 however!! Hope some others post info!
      The NEW 180 "A" (softer edges) wears GREAT in the 70deg temps at Homestead. I put over 30 laps on one and it still looks better than a PR3 did with 1/2 the laps. It grips BETTER than a 3 if that was possible. You will notice the hard middle compound appear more pronounced as the softer edges wear but it did not seem to affect feel.
      The "A" and "B" fronts are stiffer carcass with 5 plys, and the 4ply triangulated "V" front REALLY turns the bike in and I thought would be faster lap times. I think i like the firmer A front as i never even came close to the tires limits but ran same laps as the fast turn in "V" tire..
   BOttom line, each of the NEW michelins appear to have a use for certain conditions. THe sticky sided firm carcas "A" for cooler days and the "B" on hotter days, and a "V" if you like that fast turn in. The rear "A" lasts longer, and the "B" should work well at those tracks with long fast turns were the 3 would get hot.

2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Scotty Ryan

I'll throw my comments out here about the 180 vs the 190...

When I was testing tires for Michelin on the Safety First team in 07' - We tried both the 180 and 190 PR's. Usually the tires I ran/tested weren't the same as what was available to the public - Kind of a pre cursor to the tires that are available this season. Based off what I learned in 07' - I decided to run the 180's on my 600 last season in 08' and the 190's on my 1000..

I completely agree with Greg on this: On the 600 - the 190 does flip from side to side slower, and it does accelerate a bit slower.... Additionally, the added grip that the 190 offered mid corner always seemed to push the front more then I thought was acceptable. The only real upside that I experienced with the 190 was that I could open the throttle sooner then on the 180 - it did offer a bit more side grip... For me the trade off wasn't worth the hassle....

Now I haven't touched the new tires yet - I haven't had a bike of my own to ride or test since September of last season... So I can't comment on them, But I know Ron always spoke highly of Greg's feedback, So I trust what he has to say....
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

MELK-MAN

Thanks Scotty, im trying to translate the know-how to go-fast !! lol..  Thanks for the info on the 190. I didn't ride em much to form much of an opinion but i could see at at track like Jennings GP where your almost always leaned over, the extra side grip could come in handy. Hope to see you on another bike soon, and your really going to like the new tires.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

R1Racer99

Thanks much for the info, very helpful. It should be nice to have options for different conditions, with the old tires I always just used the same combination.

honda60071

Is it mise the vendor for MA region? Thinking of during to the darkside....................... :spank:
Shawn

LongDogRacing

i'm pretty sure mize motors will be the local rep--  i talked to Q a couple of weeks ago and he seemed pretty excited about the new mich lineup.
Justin Pennella
CCS Ex #32

Proud supporter of MOTOHICK

Scotty Ryan

Quentin(sp) is East/Northeast (VIR, Summit)- Walt schaffer is South East(Daytona,Atlanta)
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

Super Dave

Quote from: Scotty Ryan on February 15, 2009, 05:42:07 PM
Quentin(sp) is East/Northeast (VIR, Summit)- Walt schaffer is South East(Daytona,Atlanta)
Yeah, but what's Moose covering now?
Super Dave

benprobst

Quote from: Super Dave on February 15, 2009, 05:52:59 PM
Yeah, but what's Moose covering now?

I think he is bouncing around the east/mid central for the STT side of Michelin.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565