Sunoco Fuel

Started by klebs01, January 27, 2009, 01:16:26 PM

Super Dave

Quote from: klebs01 on January 30, 2009, 10:25:08 AM
OK, so the real options are Pump, U4.2 at ~$15/gal, or Outlaw at ~$20/gal?  Are there any options that would be better than pump but not as expensive?
I was using a prototype fuel from Power Mist last year that was only about $9 a gallon.  Was leaded and oxygenated.  Kind of caught me off guard that it was better than some of the really good and expensive things I have used in the past. 

Pump gas is oxygenated and unleaded.  The advantage is fast flame speed and inexpensive.  Nathan, what I do as an old standby is to mix on gallon of a leaded 110 or 112 racing fuel with two to three gallons of pump gas.  The mixture will retain a lot of the speed, but the lead adds more complete combustion to the process vs what one gets from an unleaded.  And don't forget that the fuels around here are oxygenated.  You'll get a little carry out of that.  On a carbureted bike, doing this will lower the overall specific gravity of the fuel a little bit which would normally make it a little rich, but the lead in the fuel will then get the air fuel mix to burn more completely.  Ends up evening out very well. 
Super Dave

ktd

i do the same mix of about 25% 110 in pump gas.

BlueRidgePerformance

Quote from: Hank Reardon on January 30, 2009, 05:15:14 PM
Would work better if it were leaded.
Yes, but they and many other orgs are switching to unleaded fuels.
A comment was made above about Indy car fuels, they now use ethanol.
Kawasaki 650R Endurance Team Owner
2009 Sponsors: Cheetah Race Bodies,,Pitbull,Trackside Racers Supply,Traxxion Dynamics,Vesrah,Woodcraft

Super Dave

Quote from: BlueRidgePerformance on January 31, 2009, 06:57:36 AM
Yes, but they and many other orgs are switching to unleaded fuels.
A comment was made above about Indy car fuels, they now use ethanol.
Yeah, FIM switched to unleaded because of environmental pressure.  And reduced power to even the field. 

Yes, Indy went to ethanol, because of environmental concerns.  But, similarly, the spec ethanol isn't a high power fuel either.  It's something that everyone can use, and it evens the cost and playing field.
Super Dave