Need help with my sv--it's dead!

Started by cabbage996, March 26, 2003, 06:52:56 AM

tigerblade

QuoteIt might be all the solvents talking, but that dancing guy is creeping me out!

Better?

Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

EX#996

Personally I thought it was the solvents that Alexa was having the problem with.   ;D  

Dawn
Paul and Dawn Buxton

spyderchick

Tats are cool. Just don't get that needle near me. Even with all the solvents in my system. Ok...I have to go run errands now, everyone watch out!  ;)
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

tigerblade

QuoteTats are cool. Just don't get that needle near me.

Do you know what movie it's from?   ;)
Younger Oil Racing

EX#996

I was trying to figure that out, but I couldn't get the picture clear enough to read the writing.  Hint?

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Protein Filled

OK, SV's are notorious for not liking it when you mount a tach and the tach shorts. It makes the bike run on one cylinder and troubleshooting becomes a pain. If you have a tach mounted disconnect it and see if that helps. The connectors can get corroded during the winter.

Does the bike run at all? Is it sputtering? If it runs, what happens when you take out the front sparkplug? Does it stall?
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

tigerblade

QuoteI was trying to figure that out, but I couldn't get the picture clear enough to read the writing.  Hint?

Dawn   :)

Younger Oil Racing

tigerblade

QuoteOK, SV's are notorious for not liking it when you mount a tach and the tach shorts. It makes the bike run on one cylinder and troubleshooting becomes a pain. If you have a tach mounted disconnect it and see if that helps. The connectors can get corroded during the winter.

Does the bike run at all? Is it sputtering? If it runs, what happens when you take out the front sparkplug? Does it stall?

He did disconnect the tach.  The evening before last, it acted like it was going to turn over, but it just wouldn't.  Last night it wouldn't at all.  It just cranks.  It's getting gas; the carbs are very clean and the floats aren't stuck.  It also seems to be getting spark, but may just not be strong enough?
Younger Oil Racing

Protein Filled

You mention that it "seems" to be getting spark. Did you remove and ground the sparkplug and crank the bike over to see if the spark was there?

If you are sure that it's getting gas, so I assume that it must be getting air, so the only problem is the spark. Just for the hell of it try to use some starting fluid to see if it starts to sputter. If it does, it could be the carbs. Did you clean the little filter screen that is inside the carbs themselves? It's real easy to overlook it. SV's have a little screen in the carbs that needs to be cleaned regularly since it gets clogged with debris. It's right behind the float bowl valve seat.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

spyderchick

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

tigerblade

QuoteYou mention that it "seems" to be getting spark. Did you remove and ground the sparkplug and crank the bike over to see if the spark was there?

If you are sure that it's getting gas, so I assume that it must be getting air, so the only problem is the spark. Just for the hell of it try to use some starting fluid to see if it starts to sputter. If it does, it could be the carbs. Did you clean the little filter screen that is inside the carbs themselves? It's real easy to overlook it. SV's have a little screen in the carbs that needs to be cleaned regularly since it gets clogged with debris. It's right behind the float bowl valve seat.

Yep, we removed the plugs and grounded them.  They do spark.  I think the screens were checked, but keep the ideas flowing.  Thanks!
Younger Oil Racing

tigerblade

Oh yeah, forgot it's not my bike.  Who cares if it runs?!  Bwah haa haa!    ;D
Younger Oil Racing