Need help with my sv--it's dead!

Started by cabbage996, March 26, 2003, 06:52:56 AM

cabbage996

I'm about to throw my racebike into the river cause the damn thing will not run. Last year at my last trackday it ran fine, I low sided in the last session of the day, but I rode it to the pits and then around my neighborhood before I put it up for the winter. I put fuel stabilizer in it and then ran it for about 10 min. This year it started and ran really poorly. By poorly I mean it hesitated and was backfiring and sputtering and didn't seem to have much power. I put new plugs in it and it seems to foul them very quickly. One of my friends pulled the carbs and we cleaned them, checked the floats, jets etc. All ok. Changed the plugs, they are sparking, drained the gas and put in new, used a new battery and the stupid thing still won't run. I've checked the electrical system and it appears to be ok. The stator was supposed to be at like .55 ohms but it read .8 ohms. Is that the problem? I sure don't want to buy a new one and have it not be the problem. Keep in mind I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to working on the bike, my friend/mechanic can't figure it out either. We got gas in the cylinders, we got spark so what's the deal? I've checked the tech section here and the front plug is not wet and the tach has been disconnected. Please help me out here. I don't really want to drop that B**** in the river or use it for target practice. Thanks!

tigerblade

Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

cabbage996

Thanks for the advice.  It's still faster than your RC.

Dawn

Quote*cough*Buy a Honda*cough*

You are sooo naughty...

Cabbage...

I don't know what to say.  I know Paul could figure it out by looking at the bike - so - if you are in the MW.  Come on out to BHF.  

Hopefully one of the other SV people will have some ideas.

Dawn   ;)

spyderchick

This may sound stupid, but do you have the fuel petc0ck set to "on"? It wouldn't be the first time something really small was over looked.

(i had to modify this 'cuz it put in "petthingy...sheeez!)
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

cabbage996

It's getting gas for sure.  I can give tigerblade all the grief I want.  We share the same mechanic, plus he's painting my side of his trailer pink.  I was planning on going to the track day at MAM the same weekend as BHF.  I'm in the MW, Missouri to be exact.  Tell Paul I'll give him $100 to tell me what's wrong.  Anyone want to sell me a Honda???  Anyone?

tigerblade

QuoteThis may sound stupid, but do you have the fuel petc0ck set to "on"? It wouldn't be the first time something really small was over looked.

We did try to find small stuff like that.  No pinched lines either.  We're going to check the timing tonight.

Quote(i had to modify this 'cuz it put in "petthingy...sheeez!)

Hee hee..."petthingy" sounds dirtier than petc0ck.   ::)

Younger Oil Racing

Litespeed

Try pulling the carb apart and spray everything you see with carb cleaner.  After that makes sure your air filters are in good condition.  You may also want to check compression and make sure the two cylinders match.  Lastly, have you warmed it up fully while checking it?  If not make sure it's full warm before testing it.  Other than that, make sure the choke isn't stuck in the on position.  If I can think of anything else I will post it.  Good luck...

As a side note, my Kawi did the same thing after a gentle lowside.  Once everything was pulled apart I found that the fuel from the crabs ran out and into the ram air tubes.  Once enough vacuum was created, it would get a huge amount of fuel and die.  Once I drained them it ran fine.  

Oh yeah, check for vacuum leaks or cracks in the carb boots...

Litespeed

I almost forgot, make sure the fuel filter isn't plugged up.  You probably have a screen of some sort as part of the pet-thingy assembly.  Just remove it from the tank and look it over.  You may want to blow air through it backwards.

Dawn

Quotethe crabs ran out and into the ram air tubes.

crabs....  the visual was just too funny!!!!!

Dawn  ;D

Dawn

Cabbage...

What does the 996 stand for?

Dawn   :)

tigerblade

QuoteCabbage...

What does the 996 stand for?

Dawn   :)

He also owns a Duc 996.  And a Monster 750.  Guess he's just not keen on reliable bikes...
Younger Oil Racing