Women's Class - Events and Rules

Started by truckstop, January 19, 2009, 11:24:48 PM

Supergirl

Quote from: EX_#76 on January 21, 2009, 02:25:16 PM
I do have a question for all of the ladies out there who have thought about racing and have not tried it yet.  What is the major factor holding you back from giving it a try?

To me, it was the "meatgrinder class" for the most part. A few things:

I know personally a few track day riders of very, very young age who decided to go racing after doing just 2-3 track days, while also crashing during them by going over their heads or trying to keep up. During a track day, I don't feel being in danger when riding with them because I can choose to be on the opposite side of the track at the time, or simply be faster  :biggrin: In a race though, I am afraid that the "fearless youth" will take me out coming into T1, because the brain switch is turned off or they don't have to go to work next Monday...

I don't want to be misunderstood here. I believe in having "talent," but I also believe in experience. Road OR track. The people I had mentioned above had started riding the same season... 0 years, 2,000 street miles, 2 track days, next weekend racing... that's intimidating!!
When i first talked to Jen about this, she said "why do you think i'm racing the hawk? I don't mind being passed by those guys, because they've been racing forever and i trust them." very wise words!!

Second reason for me was the thought "i'm too slow to race," and i didn't believe that there are slower riders racing, until i looked at some results myself. So, instead of doing practices only, I decided that i was going to give it a try. Introduction of women's only class made me think that it was going to be even more fun and it will maybe motivate some other women to give it a try.

Already last year, we had talked about a lady TC team for this season. That could be awesome!!

Another reason that spoke against racing, is that i had experienced more than once during a track day (NOT in "A" but in "I") that some of the men had a serious problem being passed by a woman. It's not a rumor, trust me, and it gets dangerous and it's scary. Gentlemen in "A" are a lot nicer, hopefully not only due to the fact that i can barely pass anyone in "A"  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

So, I can speak only for myself, but besides the obvious reasons of not wanting to get hurt and not having enough experience, the above are important factors that made me think that I would never race.

Now i'm sitting here and the spring can't come soon enough.  :ahhh: go figure....

(and it's all my friend jeff's fault  ::)  )

IMMIGracing
CCS #56 - Arlen Ness Racing, Hindle, Silkolene, Suomy, Woodcraft, Vortex, Sharkskinz, PopShadow, TrackdayMag.com, CyclepathRacing.com

123user

My real concern is this, are we doing this to "appeal" to women, or are we creating a class with "gutter-guards" and insinuating that somehow its safer?  Everybody is nervous their 1st season, and they aught to be!  Fear is nature's way of telling you that your doing something stupid.

Its just dangerous to expect that we're going invite anybody to race in a "safe-class", and not have some legal problems.  How is this being sold? 

Maybe it could be sponsored by Virginia Slims... it'd be called "Now you can race- baby!"  Its insulting to women to suggest that they need special treatment to race.  Its not fair to everybody to allocate track time to a special few.

As far as guys worrying about being passed by a girl... well they can just go back to Mississippi!  If your holding on that tight, you just don't belong in any sanctioned event.

xb9racer

so now the f-40 races are "tame"? Try telling that to Ed Key and the other top finishers. If you want to race, you'll race, regardless. My personal opinion is this is a very stupid time to try to make this happen. Has anyone been reading the papers lately? Check to job market? I think turnout is going to be way down this year as it stands right now for the regular races, let alone adding new ones.

GIGOLO

My wife, and alot of other girls I know, (yeah I know alot of girls :biggrin:) with bikes, all say the same thing.  Racing doesn't interest them.  Its really a male dominance thing.  Then again racing (to me) is a good time for self-reflection, perseverance and discipline, they are a huge part of the game.  Most importantly, racing is just fun..........period.
If C.C.S. wants to add womens classes, who cares?  It wont make any grid smaller.  If a girl enters a female only race that is run the same time as F40, she will probably enter all of her normal races.  There  will only be a lack of attendance issue if she is an older female that could run F40.  The two girls that race that I know (Jen and Meghan) aren't anywhere close to 40.  The only way that C.C.S. would be sexist is if they wouldnt let women race, but thats not the case.  Adding a womans only class doesnt take money out of anybodys pockets.

Also, saying that Jen and Meghan appear very young doesn't mean that I was trying to get them to boost my karma.  :)

HAWK

Scott, I seem to recall you being awful up in arms last season when an AM made a hard pass on you into 7, I watched the whole thing as the guy in question was trying to put you between us (BTW you simply left the door wide open and he walked through it). Don't try to convince me that you don't understand the not wanting to deal with overly aggressive riders.

XB9, I have been lapped by the riders you are talking about in GTlights races and NEVER did any of them make a pass that was anything short of courteous. I can however think of an awful lot of hairball passes made by less experienced riders and these are the ones these women wish to avoid.

Is a womens class necessary on a physical ability basis? No. Do some women shy away from the sport on the basis of aggressive riders? Definitely. Let's let it run for a season to see how it goes, there are plenty of classes out there with grids of 5 or less already one more isn't going to hurt.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

dylanfan53

Welcome, ladies.  May the grids be filled with your positive energy.  :thumb:
Don Cook
CCS #53

Xian_13

Femmoto was started and run by a Woman.
So...
Its women supporting (or sponsoring) the series, for women.

XIII
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

funsizeracing

If it gets more people interested in the sport thats great!  But I also fear that some will enter/allow their sig. others  to enter thinking that an all womens class is safer.  It is still racing.  Trust me, you don't need testosterone to crash.

As for the problems some  have expirienced with men, I've never been shown anything but support by all the guys out there.

And the biggest question of them all:  Are we going to take cooridinated bathroom breaks before we grid?  :biggrin:
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

GIGOLO

Quote from: funsizeracing on January 21, 2009, 09:59:14 PM
If it gets more people interested in the sport thats great!  But I also fear that some will enter/allow their sig. others  to enter thinking that an all womens class is safer.  It is still racing.  Trust me, you don't need testosterone to crash.

As for the problems some  have expirienced with men, I've never been shown anything but support by all the guys out there.

And the biggest question of them all:  Are we going to take cooridinated bathroom breaks before we grid?  :biggrin:

Oh those GP Pro gloves definitely dont go with the supertech boots shes got on.   One might note that it will be difficult to pull hair with a helmet on.

truckstop

I still have plenty of hair to pull even with a helmet on...

:D

EX_#76

Quote from: truckstop on January 21, 2009, 11:17:46 PM
I still have plenty of hair to pull even with a helmet on...

:D

Thats a fact!!!

Although I can not imagine you making anyone agry enough to pull your hair  LOL

Guy
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

Super Dave

Whether one can consider having a women's class a stunt or anything else doesn't matter.  If it gets a couple more people involved in this foolishness, hey, I think it's a good idea. 

I don't see where it's taking any time from anyplace as it's just getting added into another event rotation. 

The potential lady racers have an opportunity to get involved and addicted.  It won't change issues in practice, but that's part of reality.  As they get experienced, both their personal experience and in that more female racers are on track among the others with TPS, issues with ladies being an anomaly vs the norm might begin to go away.  As it is now, the ladies are more of the norm at track days, I feel.  They aren't a huge percentage, but there isn't the focus issue on them as there was in the past.  Those of you that were at the front of that were ground breakers.  Good job!

Super Dave