News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Weather

Started by Dawn, March 25, 2003, 12:16:46 PM

EX#996

QuoteI realize that you started this thread as entertainment, but it quickly evolved to something which I thought was a valid issue so I responded. Sorry if I offended you, that is not my intent. I actually enjoy thought provoking conversation and was just looking for other peoples opinions of what I commented on, which is a good way to generate ideas which may benefit us all in the future.

Sorry Mike:

I guess I am suffering from too much work and not enough fun.  A week from now I will be putting the finishing touches on the motorhome and waiting for Renee to get off the bus so we can leave.  I can't wait to see everyone again.

Dawn   :)

P.S.  At least the forcast doesn't have snow in it now.  Just rain.   :-/  However it's snowing here today, about 1/2 inch already, possibly 3-6 by tonight.   ::)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

sdiver68

That picture is insane!  :O  I think I would cry if my race bike had snow on it  :-/
MCRA Race School Instructor

EX#996

QuoteThat picture is insane!  :O  I think I would cry if my race bike had snow on it  :-/

LOL!!!!

I took a look at that picture and was trying to come up with a way to put the studed dirt bike tires on it.   ;)

But then I remember Weggie_Man chastizing me and another member of the BBS for suggesting such an idea.   ;D

Dawn
Paul and Dawn Buxton

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteThat picture is insane!  :O  I think I would cry if my race bike had snow on it  :-/

The weekend it snowed that I spoke of previously (April '97) they still had the few of us that were there bring our bikes to tech for approval, even though it was snowing quite a bit at that time. I had made a little snowman and had it stuck on the top of the triple clamp and had a smiley face drawn in the snow on the windshield when I rode my bike in the snow over to tech. After I shut off the bike, the guy at tech looked at the smiley face and snowman on my bike and said "You guys are warped!". To this day I still laugh when I think of that guys reaction. I also made a freind that weekend with the guy who was pitted next to me, so looking back now I guess it wasn't all bad.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

OmniGLH

Well guys the weather is starting to look a little bit better.  I get weather updates from the weather channel in my inbox twice a day...

-----

Tonight: Scattered thunderstorms this evening becoming more widespread overnight. Low 49F. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

Tomorrow: Thunderstorms in the morning followed by occasional showers in the afternoon. High 51F. Winds SW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall near a half an inch.

Tomorrow night: Considerable cloudiness. Low 26F. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph.

Saturday: Sunshine along with some passing clouds. High around 40F. Winds NW at 10 to 20 mph.

Sunday: Mix of sun and clouds. Highs in the low 40s and lows in the mid 30s.

Monday: Considerable cloudiness. Highs in the low 50s and lows in the upper 30s.

Tuesday: Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 40s and lows in the low 40s.

Wednesday: Windy with times of sun and clouds. Highs in the mid 50s and lows in the low 40s.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed...
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

spyderchick

Quote        I am curious about the latex glove under the leather glove theory suggested earlier for the reason that it seems to go against what I have read about staying warm while skiing or snowmobiling. The most expensive protective wear for those activities brags about pulling moisture away from the skin to retain heat. I have had the grip heaters on my snowmobile too warm before which caused my hands to sweat and remember how cold my hands started getting even with the grip heaters still on. While skiing I have been overdressed before causing me to sweat and I quickly got cold after that.

The reason you get cold when you sweat is due to evaporation. If you have latex gloves on, the sweat is trapped and does not evaporate; thus you will stay "warmer". Realize that we only do sprint races and the "endurance" races run 30 minutes, so in these conditions the latex gloves work remarkably well.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteThe reason you get cold when you sweat is due to evaporation. If you have latex gloves on, the sweat is trapped and does not evaporate; thus you will stay "warmer". Realize that we only do sprint races and the "endurance" races run 30 minutes, so in these conditions the latex gloves work remarkably well.

I knew about evaporation causing cooling, but wasn't thinking about the insulating affect of layering in this situation (the trapped sweat being another insulating layer, and not being able to evaporate due to the latex glove). The clothing I spoke of previously pulls the sweat away from the skin not giving it a chance to evaporate while still contacting the skin. The sweat idea reminds me of the scuba diving trick to help increase warmth by creating a liquid layer inside the suit (if you don't already know about this technique, use your imagination as to where the liquid comes from  :o ). Though I personally have not scuba dived before it does make sense as to the extra insulating layer created by the liquid, also the liquid layer created inside the latex gloves by sweat. I will try the latex glove idea the next time it's barely above freezing and I am riding a motorcycle for some insane reason.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Nate R

Well, as usual, the forecast changes again. It looks like it'll be NICE for racing Saturday, and practice on friday, but chilly in the morning. Sunday looks a little cold, but should be LOTS of fun still!  :D

We'll see how much this changes in the next week.

Hopefully it won't rain. (Crosses fingers)
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

MightyDuc Racing

QuoteWell, as usual, the forecast changes again. It looks like it'll be NICE for racing Saturday, and practice on friday, but chilly in the morning. Sunday looks a little cold, but should be LOTS of fun still!  :D

We'll see how much this changes in the next week.

Hopefully it won't rain. (Crosses fingers)

By "chilly", do you mean in the low 70's?   ;D
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

EX#996

QuoteBy "chilly", do you mean in the low 70's?   ;D

LOL!!!!

Chilly up north is mid 40's.

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

MightyDuc Racing

That's fricking freezing!!!   ;D
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Super Dave

Personally, I think that it is ludicrous that the Mid-West Region has thirteen events.  We've pretty much got more than anyone else.

And an early April date in our area?  Give me a break?  The potential for bad weather is good.  Not high, but good.

States down south where weather can be much better than here don't start much earlier than us.  So, what is anyone trying to prove?  That we can make racers more financially exausted eariler in the year so that they can't go to Daytona for ROC?  

I would be happy to see the first Blackhawk go away.  Start at Road America at the end of April (which isn't much better, for that matter).
Super Dave