News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

? about CMP start/finish line...

Started by MELK-MAN, December 23, 2008, 07:01:02 PM

MELK-MAN

I really like the idea of having the start line moved closer to turn 1 like it was for 2008 as there is less chance for bowling alley action with the tight turn 1.. however, im not crazy about the fact that S/F is IN the breaking zone, past the 3 marker. We were lucky this season and there were not any accidents. I had one close call getting slowed up as i was not sure how far behind me a rider was, and i narrowly avoided the rider turning into T1.
It was discussed that given more time, they would have FINISH further back up the hill before the braking area but having START where it is (needing 2 timing loops) Any news on what will be done for 09?
Thanks
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

kl3640

Quote from: MELK-MAN on December 23, 2008, 07:01:02 PM
I really like the idea of having the start line moved closer to turn 1 like it was for 2008 as there is less chance for bowling alley action with the tight turn 1.. however, im not crazy about the fact that S/F is IN the breaking zone, past the 3 marker. We were lucky this season and there were not any accidents. I had one close call getting slowed up as i was not sure how far behind me a rider was, and i narrowly avoided the rider turning into T1.
It was discussed that given more time, they would have FINISH further back up the hill before the braking area but having START where it is (needing 2 timing loops) Any news on what will be done for 09?
Thanks

+1 on that.  I'm too new to recall the bowling-alley starts, but this past year was very unsafe with the drag-race finishes.  More than one rider (especially on the big bikes) was forced to use the runoff at the end of the straight.  Moving the starting line forward would probably be the way to go, since that's the lap that's usually abnormal anyway (from a timing perspective) since it's not a flying lap.  I know that the ability to use two timing loops exists, so that shouldn't pose a problem from a T&S perspective.

stickboy274

That finishing thing scared me too. The start was kewl, but I don't think it fixed the problem, it just moved it tot he end of the race
Stickboy Racing 803-413-0721
Bridgestone/Dunlop Tire Rep.
www.stickboyracing.com
FB: Stickboy Racing

apriliaman

put the finish line 5o ft back would be good.Along with the start of the race.I almost took everyone out in the start in the rain when i lost the front in braking then went straight to save it.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

MELK-MAN

putting the start line forward made starts safer, moving back will make it less safe for starts. You may have had a close call, but you would have had a closer call with more speed heading to T1 with the pack all bunched on the start. That is why they moved it forward to begin with. Moving the FINISH line back and have 2 timing loops is what is needed. my 2c.

tug296

I should have been a track designer.
I have always had a list of things that I'd change at a few different tracks, I'm sure everyone does.
Never having raced there, and also knowing it's had big improvements made, just by looking at the track map, turn 1 is one that would make the list.
Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

Mongo

T1 at CMP is tight but it works fine.

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
www.wera.com

kl3640

Quote from: MELK-MAN on December 25, 2008, 01:19:40 PM
putting the start line forward made starts safer, moving back will make it less safe for starts. You may have had a close call, but you would have had a closer call with more speed heading to T1 with the pack all bunched on the start. That is why they moved it forward to begin with. Moving the FINISH line back and have 2 timing loops is what is needed. my 2c.

+1 on two loops.  It's really not a big deal to implement.  The starter could be placed at the start line, and the rest of the scoring staff at the finish line, scoring each lap (including the first) from there.

ahastings

+1 with Melka on this one. I had to use the runoff at the finish of one race last year. In fact I think 3 of us ran off at the finish of the same race. I do like the start moved closer to turn one though. If 2 timing loops is an option that would def. be a good solution.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

Mongo

We tape down a loop much closer to pit in and use just it, we start and stop the races back there.  T1 isn't any more of any issue on the start than any T1 anywhere else. 

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
www.wera.com

kl3640

Quote from: Mongo on December 28, 2008, 04:39:07 PM
We tape down a loop much closer to pit in and use just it, we start and stop the races back there.  T1 isn't any more of any issue on the start than any T1 anywhere else. 

First, one doesn't simply, "tape down [additional] loops." Also, unless I'm mistaken, the old loop still exists in place at the old S/F line, so the point is moot anyway.

Second, what you're basically stating is that the old S/F line wasn't an issue for T1 during starts?

MELK-MAN

Quote from: kl3640 on December 29, 2008, 11:20:29 AM
First, one doesn't simply, "tape down [additional] loops." Also, unless I'm mistaken, the old loop still exists in place at the old S/F line, so the point is moot anyway.

Second, what you're basically stating is that the old S/F line wasn't an issue for T1 during starts?

Im pretty sure Sean is saying there was not problem to begin with.. Although he has seen more races the I every would dream of, I don't agree with him on it. T1 at CMP is different that most tracks as it is tighter than any of the few i have race through. Moving Start forward keeps top speed before braking on the start lower, and in my opinion was a welcome addition. The trade off was flying past the finish into the braking area BEYOND where you needed to get on the brakes. Hence a 2nd loop ....