News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Firebird Photo dude

Started by Decreasing_Dave, March 25, 2003, 07:56:29 AM

Decreasing_Dave

Does anyone know the website for the photographer that was at Firebird last weekend??

I think he's from Sierra Vista (I recognize his Excursion) but I haven't seen him since.

Litespeed

Do people actually pay that much for pictures of themselves?  I think I'm in the wrong business.

rick

Yeah, I was a little shocked too. I think they're charging twice what most photographers usually ask for.  :P

cr133r

I liked the picture he showed at the meeting on Sun morning(because it was me in the lead of the group and my bike looks good in pictures), but it was very grainy(probably from being shot so far away.

I'd hate to think what the guy wanted for that picture(with the border and framing added).  I was gonna ask him, but with the rather poor quality of that particular print, it wasn't worth anything to me.

I'm not saying all of them are going to be of poor quality(that one was apparantly shot from far away and digital pics don't like being enlarged that much), but I will say the prices seem to be quite high.  Maybe lightspeed and I will go in on a setup like that and pay my GF to take pictures at the races.   ;D

SliderPhoto

Those damn photo guys!  ;D

There are a lot of costs involved. A lot of photographers charge $25 for an 8x10.  

QuoteI'm not saying all of them are going to be of poor quality(that one was apparantly shot from far away and digital pics don't like being enlarged that much), but I will say the prices seem to be quite high.  Maybe lightspeed and I will go in on a setup like that and pay my GF to take pictures at the races.   ;D

I've shot film and digital and I can tell you, my digital photos blow the film stuff away. For example this one: http://www.sliderphoto.com/ccs/images/tez.jpg
I'd have no problem making a 20x30" or even bigger from that photo. I never got similar results from film. And that's just one example, it's not an exception, I have thousands of similar shots. Well, maybe not that far leaned over.  ::)

There are several factors that can cause grain. Each photo is different, but it's not something that is an inherent problem with the digital format.

Thingy

QuoteAnd that's just one example, it's not an exception, I have thousands of similar shots. Well, maybe not that far leaned over.  ::)
quote]

Jack, I think you should pat yourself on the back for once.  You have a lot of skill taking those types of pictures. :)  Additionally, I think people should recognize that the cost of acquiring (and printing) equipment that can take pictures like that is unbelievably expensive.  I mean really, really expensive.  

If the pictures are as good as Jack takes, they are worth every penny.

Now, if he could just take some pictures of me leaned that far over...  maybe I could lose the front or something for you. ;D
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

SliderPhoto

Thanks Bill.  8)

I hope we hook up this season! I'll miss seeing you at CCS stuff. :(

Litespeed

Racing costs far more than taking the pictures does...

SliderPhoto

QuoteRacing costs far more than taking the pictures does...

Perhaps, but the guy isn't there to compete, he's doing a job.

Coming up with pricing is difficult. There's no doubt most racer's are on a tight budget, so it is a small percentage that actually do purchase.  

Decreasing_Dave

QuoteRacing costs far more than taking the pictures does...

This is true.

Last year, at Firebird Main course, last race of the season.  I had a different photodude come up to me at the end of the day.  He was trying to sell me the same pic that his "girl" tried to sell me earlier.  I didn't buy it then because I had bought the one from the other photodude (that's right, there were 2) that was made into a 2003 calendar.  Way cooler.

Anyway, when I tell him that I'm not interested, he gets angry and says "Well, you bought one of the other guys'"  My reply was "So...it was a good shot and I could use a calendar.  I'll give you $10 bucks for that one (he wanted $30)."  He got mad and tore it up in front of me.  He told me never to try and buy a pic from him 'cuz he won't sell it to me.  

What an ass.  I don't have a photo budget, peddle your trash elsewhere if you're gonna be a jerk!! >:(

SliderPhoto

QuoteWhat an ass.  I don't have a photo budget, peddle your trash elsewhere if you're gonna be a jerk!! >:(
LOL! I wouldn't have bought anything from him either. :)  I'm not that bad! Close, but not quite there yet.  ;D

rick

Hey, I'm more than willing to pay a fair price!
The big difference is that your prices are far more reasonable:
  Size  Price
  5x7" $10
  8x10" $15

Compared toTelephoto Xpress:
  5x7" $17.50
  8x10 $35.00

EX#996

Paul and Dawn Buxton