News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Total Loss Ignition charging question - what size charger

Started by murf99, December 01, 2008, 11:06:50 AM

Eric Kelcher

Quote from: Super Dave on December 01, 2008, 04:39:59 PM
How big of a solar panel?  Solar is pretty inefficient.  And you'd need to really up the voltage to get it in a fully charged battery.  There is technology to do that, but what's the weight cost then again?  Interesting.  I looked a lot at solar for the bus for powering up my house battery, but the cost and efficiency was always a huge concern.

If solar could get less expensive and more efficient, it really should be incorporated in to every vehicle.  Nice roof there would really help out.  I would like to have solar panels running a block heater right now.   :cheers:

It was an oil-cooled GSXR750, panel was aprox the size of the seat cowl so 100-120 square inches. battery would not start bike.

Dave check this out for a RV application. http://www.73.com/a/0108.shtml  http://xml.nextag.com/Sunforce-60-Watt-Solar-531442581/prices-html
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

murf99

Thanks for your help everyone.  Looks like I have a plan now...

Eric - given your solar pannel idea, would CCS allow an entry fee subsidy for utilization of 'green' technologies??
Todd Murray
CCS #99 MW Expert

PS I Love You Wedding Photo Storybooks / Moto Union - Ducati Milwaukee / Motorex

Team_Serpent

I ran a FZR 400 for many years with total loss.  I'd use two batteries for the weekend.  Stock battery, stock starter.  One battery would would start and run the bike all day.  At night I'd charge the battery used that day and put the other one in for the next day.  That way I'd always have a fully charged battery as a back-up.

roadracer162

My son and I have been runing a couple FZR400 all year. His FZR is of the total loss variety. It is the stock battery and the stock starter. We use the same battery to start and run the bike for the weekend. What we have done is to add the pigtail for a battery tender and recharge between sessions and during lunch. We do a precharge before the weekend and occasionally use the Battery tender during the weeks off from racing.

We haven't had any battery problems with this set-up. We don't always recharge between sessions. In the Fl Region, all day Saturday is practice and then Sunday are the races.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.