News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

What is your average tire life?

Started by 2old2fat2slow, November 20, 2008, 10:16:43 AM

benprobst

Most of my weekends consist of 1 GT race and 3 sprints. For a normal weekend I run 1 front and 2 rears. On a big weekend anywhere from 2 fronts and 2 rears, to 2 fronts and 3 rears. This is on a 05 750, running front of the pack expert regional pace. Tires are primo when taken off, however I find they lose the last 5% of their traction in about 16-18 laps. Granted they hover around 90 percent for a long while after that, that 10 is what im looking for at this point in my roadracing career, so thats what I go with. 1F 2R on reg weekends, 2F 2-3R on bigger weekends.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

erock768

Yamaha TZ 250, racing Am light wieght GP, GTU and USGPRU 250GP.

I get about one to one and half weekends out of a set of bridgestone slicks. Typically I use the last weekends race set for friday practice and then mount a fresh set for the sprints. Depending on wear and grip level I may replace the set for the 250GP race on usgpru weekends.
Eric Moore Racing LLC
CCS / USGPRU  Ex # 768
diesel killer

Fast4fun

In amatuer middleweight, I would run one set for two weekends without much dropoff in lap times. That included one GT and 3-4 sprints. As an expert and as my laptimes improved at BHF, I started to notice a difference in lap times from Saturday to Sunday on one fresh set of tires for the weekend. I'm getting to the middle of the pack. Considering the cost, I still ride one set per weekend with a practice day before the next weekend.
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

GSXR RACER MIKE

Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

GIGOLO

On a gsxr 1000 I would do a gt and two sprints on a rear (note that I am not that fast) and a front would last about double that.   Thats including practices.  My rear would be horrible on the last sprint, but considering the power and my fat ass, it did very well.  Most of the experts in the unlimited group would run the rear once, im not sure what they would do with the front.  This is primarily Blackhawk,  I hear Mid america was murder on tires.  Hope that helps

funsizeracing

Quote from: 2old2fat2slow on November 20, 2008, 10:16:43 AM
I need to know an average tire life for the average club level racer.   2o2f2s

Not long enough!
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

bel-biv

1 set for most weekends running GTO and 3 sprints on my 07 R1
I could definitely feel the tire giving up a bit on that last sprint, but oh well
For 2009, I'll add another rear when running combined regional & ASRA events

Steve #176

www.patriotracing.us
Making a difference through motorsports.

Full Spectrum Power | Innovative Motorcycle Research | Cornerspeed | Orient Express | BG Oil | Online Paddock | On The Throttle

2old2fat2slow

Thanks to:Lithium Motorsports, Vondari Racing, Continental Tires of North America, Absolute Cycle, RaceConti,Next Level Motorsports, Mize Mobile, Vortex, Woodcraft

roadracer162

Rnning Bridgestone slicks on a...

FZR600 with around 100rwhp, weighing some 400# with tire sizes of 120/600 17 on the front and a 155/635 18 on the rear. I can get around 4 sprint races with 2 morning practice session and then Saturday practice of about 10 session. I notice a dramatic drop in performance at around the 13th session and it is fully gone by the 15th session.

FZR400 with the same tire sizes uses the tires less and have run about 150 laps of a 2 1/4 mile average. Daytona is a different story and Jennings also wears tires faster.

My strategy has been to run fresh rubber for the Sunday races and then practice all day on Saturdays. This of course is in the Florida region where all day Saturday is practice and Sunday is an all day of racing all classes. I only run 2 races consistently.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.