News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

New Ultralight rules

Started by riopko, November 19, 2008, 09:46:35 PM

roadracer162

Quote from: truckstop on November 23, 2008, 12:02:58 AM
SB spec with 650cc is what I heard too, but don't know the extent either.
Either way...

Booo.... hisss.... :(

But at least this year we knew it was coming. As I said elsewhere, I'm riding the Hawk next year still... out of spite.

Wasn't it a Hawk that won the Daytona ROC??

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Kurlon

Quote from: roadracer22 on November 23, 2008, 09:03:23 AM
Wasn't it a Hawk that won the Daytona ROC??

Mark

Yup, one won expert ULSB, another won amateur.

roadracer162

Quote from: Kurlon on November 23, 2008, 02:46:36 PM
Yup, one won expert ULSB, another won amateur.

In think this year it may be a Ducati 800 at the front.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

benprobst

Quote from: roadracer22 on November 23, 2008, 03:38:36 PM
In think this year it may be a Ducati 800 at the front.

Mark

Is this based on a specific rider/bike combo? Or do you believe the 800 is the most capable bike? As I said before, I know what kind of SV I would show up with if I were going to run this class and be looking for a national championship, and there are a handful of people out there who will go even further, and I just dont see anything but a "big" LW bike running with a real superbike SV, even with the limit set to 650 CC. Getting the SV near 90 hp isnt too hard, and it certainly doesnt require big pistons, getting over that 90 hump is when you start to need the complete package as far as pistons, head development, and cam profiles working together. I ran a mild superbike 650 for a few months at the starts of the season 2 years ago before dropping in the big motor, and it was on par with some of the best SS ducati 1000's (capable of pulling up in the draft and passing - im 6-6 240lbs he was 5'5 160lbs) in the country. I dont see an 800 or anything else for that matter running with it in ULW. Just like the F2 debate (I think) you have to take into account the extremes, just because the average F2 isnt blindingly fast, you have to take into account the guys who will shave 75lbs off it it and improve hp 20-30%. It sounds like the rule is already set, just tossing in my thought.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

roadracer162

I'm only talking trash. I recently acquired an 800 it it runs pretty good. I would say on par with an SV, just not as much development. Now I just gotta lose some weight from me and the bike to be even on all counts.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

MUZ720

WAh Wah Wah

You guys sound like the sv guys (count me as one) did when 1000cc Ducs 1200cc BMWs 1400cc HDs  where let into LW classes!  fair ???? No but there air cooled !! it is what it s is!  Plus 800cc ducs and build hawks  and I know a few older FZR400/600s all making more then 80hp rule ULW now anyway whats a few 650cc SV going to do to that mix??   
I think its going to make for a good class and I dont run a SV anymore!

roadracer162

Quote from: MUZ720 on November 24, 2008, 12:59:47 PM
WAh Wah Wah

You guys sound like the sv guys (count me as one) did when 1000cc Ducs 1200cc BMWs 1400cc HDs  where let into LW classes!  fair ???? No but there air cooled !! it is what it s is!  Plus 800cc ducs and build hawks  and I know a few older FZR400/600s all making more then 80hp rule ULW now anyway whats a few 650cc SV going to do to that mix??  
I think its going to make for a good class and I dont run a SV anymore!

Dang, another trash talker. Bring it on.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

grasshopper

Sounds good to me. More classes to run as well. I can show up with both SVs and run how many races in one day? The more ride time the better. I hate sitting around doing nothing at the track.

Gixxerblade

Quote from: grasshopper on November 25, 2008, 12:01:26 AM
Sounds good to me. More classes to run as well. I can show up with both SVs and run how many races in one day? The more ride time the better. I hate sitting around doing nothing at the track.
Can't wait!!!

Chris G.

See ya in the MA rounds back east fellas.....on the SV and the Duc..
Chris G.
CCS/WERA #35

Thanks RoadRacePrep.com!

funsizeracing

Quote from: roadracer22 on November 24, 2008, 11:43:24 AM
I'm only talking trash. I recently acquired an 800 it it runs pretty good. I would say on par with an SV, just not as much development. Now I just gotta lose some weight from me and the bike to be even on all counts.

Mark

Both my SS SV and 800 Duc put out 75hp on the dyno.  Of course, that was before the SV motor had seen 4 seasons.  ::)
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

roadracer162

Thank you Becka. I have ridden both of my buddies bikes, one a SS sV and the other a Duc 800 SS and I was able to turn virtually the same lap time on the same day. The one change is the difference in Tires and suspension set-up. Neither was optimized for me. The SV seemed to turn easier, but the brakes were so much stronger on the Duc.

I hope mine will go pretty good in the end when I learn to ride it. REportedly making 86 rwhp on a Superflow dyno-charts to prove it.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22