News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Blowing a tire onto a rim.

Started by GIGOLO, November 16, 2008, 08:45:18 PM

GIGOLO

OK I have sprayed starting fluid onto a rim with a loose tire a couple times before lighted it and it blew the tire onto the rim.  Once, it actually blew it on and had almost perfect pressure.  Today I tried to do the same thing with my lawnmower tire, and it just ignites the fluid there is no boom.  It is kinda cold out dont know if that is why.  Does anybody know if tempature affects starting fluid effectiveness?

I bet my neighbors think I am crazy, all they saw was some guy in his driveway lighting a tire on fire about 7 times.

Super Dave

Quote from: GIGOLO on November 16, 2008, 08:45:18 PM
OK I have sprayed starting fluid onto a rim with a loose tire a couple times before lighted it and it blew the tire onto the rim.  Once, it actually blew it on and had almost perfect pressure.  Today I tried to do the same thing with my lawnmower tire, and it just ignites the fluid there is no boom.  It is kinda cold out dont know if that is why.  Does anybody know if tempature affects starting fluid effectiveness?
Rear tire, I'm suspecting?  23 or 26 inch rim? 

Usually, those tires get shipped flattened, and the beads kind of are remembering being closer together than they will be on the rim.  The fluid doesn't "pop" because there's too much "air gap".  Kind of like poring gas on the floor, igniting it, then expecting your car to move. 

Sometimes, we used a strap around the circumference of the tire to try and spread out the beads to get them closer to the rim.  Four hands to try and push the sidewalls out.  Remove the valve core too when putting in a high volume of air.  A little inner tube on one side of the rim can help seal one side, then the tire will push off the tube too.
Super Dave

RCR_531

They have changed the Starting fuild over the last couple years. I have done this with a big 4X4 wheel before but the last time I tried to do this all I did was catch the tire on fire. You try to wrap a strap around the middle of the tire and tighten it to see if this helps.
Rodney LeQuia

Biggs Motorsports  RCR Kawasaki  SBS Vortex  Conti
Lithum Motorsports

GIGOLO

Thanx Dave, Rodney, I have successfully blown said tire onto the rim.  I feel kindof like Edison right now, I decided to use an M80.  It was loud but worked.  I know the strap thing but I dont like losing so much.  The tire was laughing at me, whos laughing now beeeaaatch.

Except now there are bits of cardboard probably stuck in there, oh well now I can mulch up some leaves

eboos

I've never tried to explosively set a beed on a rim, but this summer after lacing a set of 17"s on my TTR, I just used a bicycle pump to inflate the tubes for a set of 125GP tires. The beeds popped just fine with a little dish soap for lube.
LRRS #205 Novice
2000 Buell M2
2010 Sponsors: Precision HD/Buell, Precision Triumph, Boston Moto, Superbike Toy Store, Pilot, Braking, RK Chains

GIGOLO

necessity is the mother of invention......... or laziness I dont know which anymore