News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Racing Daytona This Spring

Started by ktd, November 14, 2008, 12:09:07 PM

Farmboy

Quote from: kl3640 on November 27, 2008, 10:15:24 AM
Most larger bikes run a single rear tire (even at places that are really hard on tires, like the Fall Daytona round), so a LW should have no problem with a single rear for the entire race.

The one caveat I would offer regarding extra wheels is if the weather changes.  We got pretty lucky this year (except for HPT, but even there there wasn't sufficient precipitation to warrant rains), but if there had been a race where the track started either wet or dry then changed to the opposite, I had extra wheels with rains ready.  I'm not sure if we would have had to pit-in on our own time or if they would have flagged the race for us; but in either case, I had the rains mounted and ready to go, and my crew ready to swap the wheels on short notice.

Road America wasn't abbreviated.  The rule is either 200km or 2hrs, whichever comes first.  We just didn't have any red flags this year until the last round at Daytona, so in every other event the planned distanced was reached before the time-limit was reached.

Nice. Thanks guys.

We already have rains; I just wasn't sure about the regular DOTs going the distance. Now I just have to decide if I want to commit to making the first round...
Jim Berard CCS MW#904

kl3640

Quote from: Farmboy on November 28, 2008, 12:25:26 AM
Nice. Thanks guys.

We already have rains; I just wasn't sure about the regular DOTs going the distance. Now I just have to decide if I want to commit to making the first round...

You can run one set per round, but they'll be pretty well toasted by the end (at least on the bigger bikes), so I'd consider running slicks instead of DOT's, especially at Daytona of all places.

Farmboy

Quote from: kl3640 on November 28, 2008, 12:40:12 PM
You can run one set per round, but they'll be pretty well toasted by the end (at least on the bigger bikes), so I'd consider running slicks instead of DOT's, especially at Daytona of all places.

I believe I saw that you use Dunlops in one of your other posts; we run Pirellis and it has been our experience that the Diablo SuperCorsas wear better and last longer than the slicks. We ran these in a Green/Green @ the BHF round, and, obviously, they were absolutely fine there. Just FYI, in case you ever consider switching. Anyway, thanks again for the advice.

I'll look for you down @ Daytona..

Jim Berard
CCS MW #904 Am
Jim Berard CCS MW#904

jigs

Hey Jimmy!! Hey,I was there in Oct.,and will return this Oct. as well.It IS a trip,and I felt well worth although I think it's a track you have to go to a couple times before you can ride it real well,that's what I heard alot and will now concur with at least at my mortal riding level.I loved it,but keepine finances in mind,I would rather go in Oct. and run both high banks,the old configuration,I think in Spring they use one high bank and the infield is a little different,correct me if I'm wrong guys,but what a great expierience.We stayed at the Hiton gardens RIGHT across the street,it was really nicw AND reasonable.If you were to make res. now,I bet it would be pretty cheap...good luck,see you down the road Jimmy.

Farmboy

Quote from: jigs on November 28, 2008, 02:35:33 PM
Hey Jimmy!! Hey,I was there in Oct.,and will return this Oct. as well.It IS a trip,and I felt well worth although I think it's a track you have to go to a couple times before you can ride it real well,that's what I heard alot and will now concur with at least at my mortal riding level.I loved it,but keepine finances in mind,I would rather go in Oct. and run both high banks,the old configuration,I think in Spring they use one high bank and the infield is a little different,correct me if I'm wrong guys,but what a great expierience.We stayed at the Hiton gardens RIGHT across the street,it was really nicw AND reasonable.If you were to make res. now,I bet it would be pretty cheap...good luck,see you down the road Jimmy.

Hey Johnny,

Good to hear from you.

The reason we're contemplating the spring event is to rack up some points in the TC; we figure if we can do well @ Daytona, and then all the MW events, then we might have a fair shot at the LW championship. Then, in the fall, if we're in it, we can finish up at Daytona.  We'll see. I'm gonna have another run at the full CCS schedule, and we know how I like to go out in huge balls of infamy, flames, and fury, so who knows? But we're trying to figure it all out...

BTW, a bunch of us are heading over to see Carlo at his place tonight. It's somewhat impromptu, or else I'da given you a shout to see if you wanted to head down and join us. Next time, brother. Take care, dude!
Jim Berard CCS MW#904

kl3640

Quote from: jigs on November 28, 2008, 02:35:33 PM

Yes, Spring (AMA) config uses only the East banking, and the infield is different after the first few corners.  Fall config uses both the East and West bankings.  There is a link to the track maps of the different configs on the CCS website.

Scotty Ryan

Daytona is an interesting event - You really don't get enough time in practice to sort the track out properly. And the cost kinda makes you feel like you spent alot for so little. But On the other hand - It's something that everyone should experience at least once.

Daytona can go one of two ways - Really good - Or really bad.

I have only done one CCS race at Daytona - It was during the 2007 fall race - I was trying to get more tracktime and setup info for the Moto-St team I was riding for. The schedule seems the same as anywhere else - But things are kinda rushed and shortened up a bit. Cost is up for everything from tires to food - But it's a good time for sure.

I have a love hate realationship with Daytona as most do. Two consecutive Daytona 8 hr wins - 1 DQ - Lead the 3 hr this season until we blew up - 2007 AMA 200 10 place on lap 48 and blew up - 2008 AMA 200 9th place on lap 40 and tucked the front into the back chicane. Destroyed the bike.

I am planning on doing the ASRA this Spring - But then again - Who knows what will happen.

FYI: We did the entire 8 hr both years on 1 front and 2 rears on the SpeedWerks.com SV 650
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

PJ721

Quote from: kl3640 on November 29, 2008, 12:42:35 AM
Yes, Spring (AMA) config uses only the East banking, and the infield is different after the first few corners.  Fall config uses both the East and West bankings.  There is a link to the track maps of the different configs on the CCS website.

Hey guys...this year (2009) both spring and fall will be using the Fall layout...aka the "Traditional Layout"
see page 1 of the mailer..
http://www.ccsracing.us/forms/2009/license/2009%20License%20Mailer.pdf

we too did the MotoST 8hr on 1 front and 2 rears...
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Laugh uncontrollably...
And never regret anything that made you smile....

kl3640

Quote from: PJ721 on November 29, 2008, 09:31:40 AM
Hey guys...this year (2009) both spring and fall will be using the Fall layout...aka the "Traditional Layout"
see page 1 of the mailer..
http://www.ccsracing.us/forms/2009/license/2009%20License%20Mailer.pdf

we too did the MotoST 8hr on 1 front and 2 rears...

Wow...that's big (and kinda sux if you ask me).  Is AMA going to run the traditional config?

PJ721

From the mailer it seems the change to the traditional was because the AMA is running it also...haven't seen anything official on the AMA
site to confirm...
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Laugh uncontrollably...
And never regret anything that made you smile....

kl3640

Quote from: PJ721 on November 30, 2008, 09:51:25 AM
From the mailer it seems the change to the traditional was because the AMA is running it also...haven't seen anything official on the AMA
site to confirm...

Yeah, I didn't see anything either other than the mailer, and I would have thought that with all of the AMA press releases about running under the lights, at a different time, etc, that they'd have mentioned a change to the course as well.

I'm primarily interested because with all of the tire problems that we always see at RoC, I'd like to know if Dunlop will be developing anything special for the 2-bank config, and that they would seems more likely if AMA will be running on 2-banks instead of only 1.