News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

BBVR Ontrack Laser Wheel Alignment System

Started by kl3640, November 11, 2008, 09:44:00 AM

kl3640

Does anyone here have the BBVR Ontrack Laser Wheel Alignment system?  I'm trying to get a hold of the Trackline Supportware CD which has the instructions and software, but the company hasn't returned any of my calls or messages and their listed emails don't work.  Thanks.

Super Dave

Would you like to try something more simple?

I've had a long term involvement, in other things, with the guy that has now finally came out with this...

http://proaligner.com/

It's a pretty uncomplicated way to honestly do a real alignment.  We did some stuff at a track with the pre production stuff.  It's inexpensive too.  Just a thought.
Super Dave

kl3640

Quote from: Super Dave on November 11, 2008, 10:23:44 AM
Would you like to try something more simple?

I've had a long term involvement, in other things, with the guy that has now finally came out with this...

http://proaligner.com/

It's a pretty uncomplicated way to honestly do a real alignment.  We did some stuff at a track with the pre production stuff.  It's inexpensive too.  Just a thought.

Wow, that seems pretty trick for not a lot of money (maybe less than I'll wind up paying for the CD for the system that I currently own).

Have you used a production version yet?  How well does it work?  What I might wind up doing is using my laser system at home but using the one above at the track.

Also, looking at the instructions on their website, it appears to work by visual reference.  How easy is that to use if the user is trying to eyeball where the edge of the tire is relative to the scale which is some distance from the tire?  In other words, how does the user line up the rear tire relative to the measurements on the instrument's scale - just visually?

Thanks.

Super Dave

I have a production version.  Really, it turned out better than I would have thought, so I'm kind of liking it.  I haven't had a chance to use it as I've been stuck doing work to get the garage ready, but I want to try it out on my Buell here before it all comes apart. 

Yes, visual only.  I was a bit skeptical about it initially, but after we kind of worked with it for a little bit a little over a year ago on the prototype, I started to understand it.  It's not gonna wear out on you either, so it is actually a valuable tool. 
Super Dave

kl3640

FYI, in case anyone here is interested, here is ProAligner's response to my question (reprinted here with their permission):

Yes, it is a visual reference.  Once you get into position (laying on the floor on your stomach) in front of the front tire and sight along the edges of the front tire back to the ProAligner scale that is propped against the front of the rear tire, you will see that it is very easy to see the numbers on the scale.  The instructions give the steps to follow in order to first center the front tire within the edges of the rear tire and, second, to take the measurements that will tell you how far the rear wheel is mis-aligned from the front wheel.  If the rear wheel is aligned properly, the measurements will tell you that, also.

In a few days*, an instructional pdf will be developed that goes into a lot more detail than what is on the package

BTW Dave, Joe asked me to send you his regards.

Super Dave

Cool!  Joe's a good man. 

The origin of the design comes from Bob Karol.  He was the first American known to have raced road racing grand prix events.  He did that in the early 60's.  Mechanical engineer, worked for NASA, etc.  He and my aunt have been together for, well, forever, just about.  We have exchanged a lot of notes over the years of both of us teaching schools.  I think we're both retired from that, but this is a project that he has been thinking about for some time. 

And I owe him an email... 
Super Dave

Gixxerblade

I get an email from Joe every week it seems like. I emailed him about his tool and told him where I am deployed right now. (Djibouti, Africa) and we started talking about how he used to be stationed in Eritrea. Ask him about it. Good guy all around.

Boober

Team_Serpent

Quote from: Boober on November 12, 2008, 11:48:12 PM
How much are they Jason?

Sorry, can't remember, I got it a few years ago.  It wasn't terribly expensive or anything but it wasn't $29.99 either.

kl3640

Quote from: Team_Serpent on November 12, 2008, 04:14:38 PM
This is what I use

http://www.laser-lines.com/

Looks cool, but I couldn't find any info on their website regarding how much it costs or where to buy it.

Team_Serpent

Quote from: kl3640 on November 13, 2008, 12:53:44 PM
Looks cool, but I couldn't find any info on their website regarding how much it costs or where to buy it.

Just email sales@laser-lines.com