News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Race at some new tracks in the Midwest Region?

Started by J Farrell / Speed Tech Motorsp, November 10, 2008, 06:01:27 PM

J Farrell / Speed Tech Motorsp

I think some new/more tracks are needed in thh MIdwest Region.
I recall when we used to race at Grattan & Gingerman in Michigan.
Those are some nice tracks that I believe we should include in on our schedule.
Wera & ARMAH race those tracks currently.

Why did we ever stop riding at these tracks? I'm sure more revenue could be brought in with these tracks attracting more riders to CCS racing in those areas. Racing at Gingerman in October was pretty redundant like it was in 04 & 05. Much too cold and it was the end of the season when everyone was broke. Low on funds + Cold weekend = Low turn out.

Still one of my favorite tracks ever is Grattan. It's a real riders track. Last I heard it was bumpy but I also heard it was recently paved?
Gingerman is bumpy but relativly safe. I'd personally like to see at least 1 weekend per track added for 2009.

Can we make this happen Kevin or Eric?
Speed Tech Motorsports / Pirelli / Arai / Silkolene / Kawasaki USA / Farrell Sign & Graphics / Hindle / US Chrome Cylinder Plating / Vortex / Dynojet / Tucker Rocky / Penske / VP Fuels / Woodcraft / Attack Racing Bodies / Stompgrip / EBC / NESBA / Plus my kick ass guys back at the shop

Xian_13

Not to speak for Kevin...
But it is my understanding...
Any time you try and get racers to drive through Chicago, attendance suffers.

Personally...
I Love G-man...
I would also love to race Autobahn North again.

But, its not going to happen.
IMO...
Wait for the economy fears to reside, then make the argument.
And be prepared to get a lot of racers on board..
i.e. Get racers out to the track and make it profitable.

XIII
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

Super Dave

I don't believe that AHRMA even races at Gingerman.  Was very rough the last time I heard anyone had went there.

Schedules would have been proposed to the tracks in August, and other organizations would have done the same around that time.  So, I wouldn't expect anything dramatic to be changed from what CCS proposed then.
Super Dave

dylanfan53

Did I miss a discussion about tracks last August?

Well, AHRMA raced GMan in '07 but skipped it last summer.  Turnout was too low.  They usually race Grattan though.  Gingerman is in a lot better shape that Autobahn South.  Last year it was same as it ever was.  A few bumps and those lovely seams that the hometown boys love because they skeer the lazy butt cheddarheads who won't get off the couch to drive around Chicago thereby making me drive my lazy Hoosier butt all the way around the lake past the damn suburban minivans and highway construction through three rush hours to race at BHF.

Insert appropriate smiley icon thingy here....
Don Cook
CCS #53

Burt Munro

Have a nice Tuesday Don!  :biggrin:

Turnout the last year we ran at Gingermann was very, very weak.  From what I recall we picked up very few riders from Michigan, Indiana and Ohio - only a few diehards like Don and MA Racing from Holland, MI.  Management of the track at Gingermann created some issues as well - although not as bad as at Autobahn!!!
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

dylanfan53

:biggrin: I love everybody. 

Really though, I'm getting bored with BHF.  I've cut back my days and entries over the last few years as a result.  I read here that it's a combination of difficult track managers, competition from trackday orgs and lack of racer and spectator attendance.  I guess that's evident by the fact that only WERA and AHRMA race at Grattan and, as far as I know, nobody races at either Gingerman or Putnam anymore.

It's just a shame that with three or four other tracks in the region within a relatively easy few hours drive the only option is to keep going round and round and round BHF.  Ironically, to get some diversity you are forced to a trackday org. (Buffy! He said trackday! Oh the humanity! The Horror!), which some blame for the problem.

P.S. How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese? -Charles de Gaulle, 1962  :biggrin:

Don Cook
CCS #53

G-reg

It would be nice to have the midwest series in the midwest instead of having to drive 800-some miles to get to omaha, topeka, and hastings..  Might have better turnout too with closer races, I can handle driving 5 or 6 hours home after the last race on Sunday and still make it to work on Monday.  When it takes 10 or 12 hours though now I've got to take off Friday and Monday just for driving time.
--Greg
MW EX#84

Super Dave

Quote from: dylanfan53 on November 11, 2008, 09:34:03 AM
It's just a shame that with three or four other tracks in the region within a relatively easy few hours drive the only option is to keep going round and round and round BHF.  Ironically, to get some diversity you are forced to a trackday org. (Buffy! He said trackday! Oh the humanity! The Horror!), which some blame for the problem.
Well, I'll chime in.

Racing is a competition vs trackdays which are NOT supposed to be "competitive".  So, a track day track does not have to have the same standards that a racing track would have to have.  Standards for safety period are complicated, and I won't go much further into that whole aspect, but racing IS racing.  It's more profitable to have a lot of track day programs vs a lot of club racing programs. 

Yeah, Putnam is a beaten up dog, right?  Issues, issues and it's not going to get resolved.  You don't like Gateway, Don?  How about WERA when they go to Nashville?  Mid-Ohio?  VIR really IS worth a drive.  Hard to get to for the last hundred plus miles, but it is one of the coolest tracks around.  When it starts getting boring, go someplace else, or get a GSXR1000.  LOL!
Super Dave

Xian_13

Quote from: Super Dave on November 11, 2008, 10:20:20 AM
Well, I'll chime in... or get a GSXR1000.  LOL!

Hey!
What are you implying?

XIII

P.s. Don does have a GSXR 1000.
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

Super Dave

Quote from: Xian_13 on November 11, 2008, 10:26:27 AM
Hey!
What are you implying?

XIII

P.s. Don does have a GSXR 1000.
LOL!  Well, after you do the GSXR1000, do an RS125 GP bike.  Do them all.  Changes perspective and makes continuing to ride fun, even at different tracks. 

Or you can be like me with monocular vision.  Go race with an eye patch. 
Super Dave

dylanfan53

Or with only one foot on the peg. Bought those fixed peg rearsets yet?  :biggrin:  Actually, I picked up a 600 at auction at the end of the season for exactly the reasons you mentioned.  (The 1K is going up for sale.  2007 street bike, with like 600 miles total if anyone wants it.)  Between that project and days at the local tracks which I thoroughly enjoy for the change of scenery, I'm keeping things as fresh as I can.

X, Dave's just trying to make sure I don't get a shot at his Buell money again. 

I know this topic's a dead end so that's that. 
Don Cook
CCS #53

Jason748

What about Brained.... With a new owner (as of last year) and two track configurations, the original "long track" and a the new "short track"...  Maybe even a little cooperation with the CRA.
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com