News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Question about towing trailers.

Started by Steviebee, March 22, 2003, 07:27:05 AM

Litespeed

Most automatics will unlock the torque converters in overdrive when there is a load on them before making the decision to downshift to 3rd.  The slipping of the converter (which it's meant to do) over long periods of time is mostly what heats the fluid.  If you are going to tow with an automatic, get the best tranny cooler you can find and add a temp gauge.  Heat is pretty much the only thing that is going to hurt a modern tranny...

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote Heat is pretty much the only thing that is going to hurt a modern tranny...

Actually letting me have an automatic is teh same as writing its own death sentance. ;D I have very bad luck with automatics for some reason. ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

LSTD

Wait sec gentlemen... automatics always have a higher towing capacity than manual trannys... just look in the owners manual of any truck.  A person may prefer a manual for one reason or another, but autos towing capacity is higher.

If anybody is having problems towing with their automatic, it seems that they're either towing too much weight or something is wrong with their tranny.  Not knockin' anybody... just saying.  ;)

That being said, we have a 20 ft. long - 7 ft. wide - 7 ft. high CargoCraft.  It holds all our gear, 2nd set of wheels, 4 motorcycles and a pit bit + wheel stands, generator, etc, etc...  We tow it with a GMC Sierra 1500HD... 6.0 ltr. automatic.

Yes, a manual would work, but talk about a pain in the ass, IMO.  Having to watch the tach, modulate the gas/clutch sounds like a pain... especially on an incline.  I don't use OD, and leave it in 3rd gear.  Cruising down the road at 2800-ish RPMs keeps me between 70 and 75 mph... it never has to shift.

If anyone is having problems with their auto, I think it's either pulling too much and/or their motor is underpowered and it's simply having to downshift to keep the rpms in the power... just like an auto would have to do.  Meaning, if anybody doesn't like the shifting, it's more of an underpowered engine issue.

Anyway, if you have an auto, keep the fluid changed and if you have a decent load, try running it in 3rd.  I could be spoiled though... GM trannies are historically very durable.  My $.02

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteWait sec gentlemen... automatics always have a higher towing capacity than manual trannys... just look in the owners manual of any truck.  

I did. Manual is higher than the auto. ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

Super Dave

That's 'cause you got one of those little tiny trucks.... ;D
Super Dave

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteThat's 'cause you got one of those little tiny trucks.... ;D

Well it still pulls as much as a full size Chubby. ;D ;D

And thats with the 'small' motor.:D:D Imagine what the V8 version can pull. ;D ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

Super Dave

Diesel....  Got to have diesel...  Who cares about HP...  TORQUE!
Super Dave

LSTD

QuoteI did. Manual is higher than the auto. ;D

Ok... ok... what kind of truck do YOU have.  :D

RC51Racer

QuoteDiesel....  Got to have diesel...  Who cares about HP...  TORQUE![/quote

Diesel is the way to go, and I like my 6 speed.  ;D

Dawn

QuoteDiesel....  Got to have diesel...  Who cares about HP...  TORQUE!

I like my diesel....  

.... the more I beat it, the better it runs.  (I wonder if that would work on my husband  ??? :o ;D)

Dawn   :)

RC51Racer

QuoteI like my diesel....  

.... the more I beat it, the better it runs.  (I wonder if that would work on my husband  ??? :o ;D)

Dawn   :)

That's what Pauls tell us all the time (that you beat him).

Mike

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteOk... ok... what kind of truck do YOU have.  :D

Dakota.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141