News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

2 questions

Started by Super_KC124, March 21, 2003, 07:28:00 AM

GAMEDIC

QuoteDidn't they stop makinng 207's when they went to 208's? I lost confidence in them or maybe I got a bad set of 208's. Either way I went to michelin's and have been quite pleased not to mention my new tire guy Walt Shafer has been awesome  to me .All his knowledge  and support made the switch logical     (it works for me) Walt's # is(256) 538-5906. Hope this helps. Motard11 ;)
Shamless plug...lol...and walt is a great guy

rsmith

Tire shelf life - From what I've been told it depends heavily upon storage conditions. Exposure to sunlight, temperature, etc.
I ran 207's all last season and they were 2 years old according to the manufacture date on the sidewall.  I never had an issue with tire failure and they didn't show any cracking or splitting.  However, a friend had a couple sets of 207's that were actually manufactured several months after mine (so they were newer) but had severe sidewall cracking and splitting after sitting around for about a year. Also, he discovered you might not be able to see that the tire sidewall is split until it is mounted and inflated.  
 :-/

Just my $0.02

Take care,

chris_chops

QuoteIf you've seen me ride, you know I shift at 6500rpm. ::)
I thought you meant you were going to check the valves frequently.  But, by all means, please contiinue to shift at 6500. ;D  It'll make my bike look good and justify spending all my money last year to now be broke.  Those HRC facts above are interesting about the loose valves.  Kevin, please let me know what you find out about the clearance issue.
    As far as 207's, that is a really good question.  The first few years I raced, several vet racers told me that if they freeze they are done.  But Andy's truck had been subject to freezing tire temps last year and the 207's I subsequently bought were great.  Tom Mason says he has taken tires off of a freezing pile up there in MN and riders said they worked fine.  If they don't freeze, I think the shelf life is approx. 2 years.  This whole issue became so convoluted to me that I just always bought new tires.  Didn't want to think about it anymore.

Matt

Super Dave

I think that clearance issues are related to the specific motorcycle.  The exhaust sides do tend to get hot (exhaust gas) so the clearance that you set up when cold has a tendancy to shrink with the expansion of everything because of heat.  So, those end up a bit looser on the intial clearance.  Set up a Kawi with tight exhaust clearances and they don't run well.

Intake temperature is cooler.  So, sometimes you can get away running a tight clearance for just a bit more lift and duration.  
Super Dave

Nate R

FWIW, they DO make 207s in a 160 still According to race tire service, it's just a 207 mold, but they use a 208 compound. My 207 rear was from November of 02, and I think my 208 front is a bit older. So, I know they're still making them in a 160 at least.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Super_KC124

Tire story: I've been offered some new, never used, 207s. The problem is they are 4 years old. Been stored on a mezanine at a bike shop. No sunlight but temps in the 90's. I have spare wheels, so I might just mount them up and try them. Anyone want to ride beside me when I do? :o