new to CCS, need advice please

Started by shadowsprint, October 05, 2008, 09:49:15 PM

shadowsprint

Hello all,  my name is Shane.  Im 28 and looking at getting into ccs racing for the first time next year.  I was racing MX from age 12 to 21, then raced sprint cars from 21 to 27.  Ive been riding sport bikes for fun since I was 16.  My wife and I are interested in racing in 2009, in the great plains and mid-west regions, and I want to convert my 2007 zx-10r for the track, but Im wonderign if a liter bike is too big to start out on?  Maybe people do it all the time, or never, for their first time, I just don't know.  My wife wants to start a well on an R6.  Just looking for a little info as to what people think, or if they suggest starting on a smaller bike.  Thanks in advance.

Shane

x mud slinger

instead of converting your street bike why don't you look for a already built race bike, in the for sale section there is a nice F2 for 2500 that would be great for you or your wife and you could just start there and progress.

shadowsprint

the reason i want to use my bike is because when i was loading it into the back of the pickup a few weeks ago, the ramp I bought from lowes broke and the bike fell, landing on concrete and doing $7900 in damage.  Instead of spending all the money to bring it back to stock, I would much rather just buy a race body kit, strip it down, and put the extra money into performance parts and spares to go racing.  After racing my whole life, I feel confident that I can handle it on the track after plenty of acclimation, I just didn't want to be the only guy to ever show up for the races for the first time with a 1000cc bike and have people look at me like an A-hole.

r1owner

I sold an R1 to get a GSXR 600 to race.  Still managed to highside my first weekend! :)

For me a liter bike was too much.  I guess it's up to the individual.

R1Racer99

$7,900 in damage? How the hell do you figure that?

It's not impossible to start on a 1000 but like the guy above I tried it and went with a 600 instead. It's easier on tires and is easier to ride fast. Also, not sure what tracks you're planning on going to but other than the motor the '06-07 ZX10R is not the best track bike.

Super Dave

What kind of tire budget do you have?  Honestly, a ZX10R ridden well can trash tires in a matter of a few laps.  A 600 is a better choice, and an SV650 is an outstanding choice.

Super Dave

bel-biv

Have you put the 10 on the track at all? (track days - if so, how many)
I started racing on a liter bike, but had 4 years of fairly regular track days (6+ per year) under my belt
That on-track experience helped me make the transition

If you haven't had the 10 on the track at all, then I strongly recommend that you start off with something smaller
There isn't much margin for error when 160 +/- ponies are connected to your right wrist

I occasionally race my dad's sv650 and that bike is so much fun to race
My R1 is full-time p's and q's, but with the sv, I have a lot more mental RAM to work on things

Ultimately its your call, but don't let your ego paint you into a corner.....
Steve #176

www.patriotracing.us
Making a difference through motorsports.

Full Spectrum Power | Innovative Motorcycle Research | Cornerspeed | Orient Express | BG Oil | Online Paddock | On The Throttle

EX_#76

Quote from: Super Dave on October 06, 2008, 08:06:46 AM
What kind of tire budget do you have?  Honestly, a ZX10R ridden well can trash tires in a matter of a few laps.  A 600 is a better choice, and an SV650 is an outstanding choice.

Dave, You now have to recommend riding a Buell exclusively, or you will be ostracized from the Milwaukee iron gang, possibly beaten with chains.  Cook will probably hold you down while PJ beats you to a pulp with your own drive belt that he tore off of your bike with his bare hands!!!  These guys are closet nut cases!!  (as opposed to you who is an open nut case) They hold a calm demeanor in public knowing that they can be rid themselves of their sadistic tendencies by inflicting pain to those who refuse to conform.  Join the collective or else!!! I am worried for your own safety!!!  Wait Wait Wait, I've got an idea; you could change your avitar to take on a new identity!!!  Ya ya that'll work, they will never find you, Hell I'm not even sure I know who you are right now!!!

Man, I have got to stay away from the Red Bull in the morning.  Help Help, I cant seem to stop typing.

You crazy Buel guys stay away!!!  I packen heat, I'm not goen down without taken one of you with me.

Sorry guys I am not sure where all of that came from.  I have gotta go.  Got and appointment with my therapist.

Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

Super Dave

LOL!

See, you walked into my trap...

Everything is going according to my plan...

The Buell is an option for lightweight.  The chassis rocks, there are some "factory race parts" available at retail plus tax through your local H-D/Buell dealer that are a lot less than dealer cost for some comparable parts for SV's, etc.

Then we can talk about contingency even for amateurs from Buell.  I might not completely agree with it, but I enjoy Buell's commitment to their product.  Yeah, you will buy some T27 torx bits and some extra tools that you don't have now with metric bikes, but it hasn't been a bad package.

I still have belt drive and the oil that came with my salvage bike. 

That make you feel better, Guy?  I'm going to talk to my wife for my daily therapy.  :D
Super Dave

r1owner

Yeah, if you're in the MW, the Buell gang is a good bunch of guys to hang around.

They even knew what size socket (and loaned it to me) at BHF for the front axle on my R6! :thumb:

funsizeracing

Quote from: Super Dave on October 06, 2008, 08:06:46 AM

I know where to find an outstanding SV650 for sale with TONS of spares.
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

Super Dave

Quote from: r1owner on October 06, 2008, 11:57:37 AM
They even knew what size socket (and loaned it to me) at BHF for the front axle on my R6! :thumb:
That was just lucky as the R6 axle bolt is the same size as the Buell front axle tool...LOL!
Super Dave