new to CCS, need advice please

Started by shadowsprint, October 05, 2008, 09:49:15 PM

Super Dave

Quote from: funsizeracing on October 06, 2008, 12:07:00 PM
I know where to find an outstanding SV650 for sale with TONS of spares.
How many toes for that one? 

And you should put up a shameless link at least...or pics...

Super Dave

funsizeracing

Quote from: Super Dave on October 06, 2008, 12:20:44 PM
How many toes for that one? 

And you should put up a shameless link at least...or pics...

I haven't gotten that far yet.  Still working on my sales pitch.  I'm thinking something like "lightly used, female owned, only ride on weekends"
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

r1owner

Burt Munro

Becka,

Here's the perfect place for you to list it for sale............

http://www.littlepeoplechat.com/
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

LilJayRR

Quote from: shadowsprint on October 05, 2008, 11:43:18 PM
the reason i want to use my bike is because when i was loading it into the back of the pickup a few weeks ago, the ramp I bought from lowes broke and the bike fell, landing on concrete and doing $7900 in damage.  Instead of spending all the money to bring it back to stock, I would much rather just buy a race body kit, strip it down, and put the extra money into performance parts and spares to go racing.  After racing my whole life, I feel confident that I can handle it on the track after plenty of acclimation, I just didn't want to be the only guy to ever show up for the races for the first time with a 1000cc bike and have people look at me like an A-hole.

My two cents would be to sell the 10 (or keep it as a street bike) and buy a smaller bike for your first year of racing. There are guys that start out on 1000's and do OK, but to me it just comes down to a cost factor. Its like Dave said, if you are able to ride a 1000 fast your tire budget will be pretty high compared to a smaller bike. Tires for me are the single biggest cost for a race weekend. I usually do 1 set per weekend for 4 races (GTO,GTU, and 2 sprints) and I will usually do practice on them the next weekend before buying new tires for the races. I figure $900 ($200 in entry fee's + $200 in gas + $100 food/drink + $400 for tires) for an average race weekend. My first year racing I could do 8 or 9 races plus practice on a set of tires. A couple of seconds faster per lap really does cause alot more tire wear, so as your lap times come down, your tire bill goes up.

I would buy a 600 for you and a SV for the wife, and go have some fun! Or maybe a nice matched set of SV's. Heck if you find out that you can handle the 10 you could always get one for the next year. I would hate to get out there and no be able to have as much fun due to the cost factor of a 1000 over a 600. Time in the seat is key to getting faster as a AM, the more you get the faster you will become. That $7900 would probably just about cover the cost of two decent used race bikes.

Just MHO
Jason Gibbens
Expert #62 Mid-Atlantic
2007 GTU Team Challenge Champions!
2009 ZX6R RnR Cycles, Repsol, Dunlop, Woodcraft

dylanfan53

:lmao:
Quote from: EX_#76 on October 06, 2008, 10:04:25 AM
Man, I have got to stay away from the Red Buell in the morning.

Guy, fixed it for ya...

and Dave, didn't they tell you your Buell contingency check is automatically redistributed prorata to other Buell racers if you recommend another bike??  You can make the check out to me...

P.S. Pay no attention to the avatar.  That's my rain bike.

Don Cook
CCS #53

Burt Munro

Quote from: dylanfan53 on October 06, 2008, 07:59:46 PM

But Don, you told me you never ride in the rain anymore???
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

dylanfan53

I only prereg for the sunny races.  It's so relaxing to snooze in the trailer while others are swapping to rains during the 10 minute call...  :sleeping2:
Don Cook
CCS #53

Super Dave

and Dave, didn't they tell you your Buell contingency check is automatically redistributed prorata to other Buell racers if you recommend another bike??  You can make the check out to me...
LOL!  Wasn't that what I did in Thunderbike? 
Super Dave

shadowsprint

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.  I definitely appreciate the ego comment.  Thats the reason I wanted to ask the question.  I didn't want to make the assumption that I could handle the 10, I definitely want to make a good decision, have fun, and meet new people.  The racing that I'm coming from is so serious and competitive that rfiendships are certainly never gained, only destroyed. lol.  It's very cut throat.  I guess 850 hp in a 1200 pound car going for $70,000 that can go out the window in a split sec will do that.  As far as the money, Im not too worried about the tire bills.  I still have sponsors from my sprint car racing, so I at least have a place to start. To whomever was doubting the $7900 in damage, just wanted to let you know that I didn't come up with that number, the insurance company did.  The entire body was busted as well as part of the exhaust, the LF caliper, left side grip and controls and the fuel tank took a nasty hit.  If they had given me the 7900 id buy a couple bikes, but it made more sense to take the buy back option, pay off the bike loan and buy back the bike for a few sheckles and fix the bike myself, especially since it has less than 1000 miles on it.  As far as that goes, I need some advice on race body makers.  I have read up a bit on OPP, skarkskinz, maier, and one other i cant remember.  Could really use some input.  I see OPP offers a full carbon fiber body, but the price seems a bit steep!  I do want quelity, but would like to find it at a reasonable price if there is such a thing.  As far as where I will be riding, it all depends on if we stay here in SD or if this house sells then we are plannign to move to colorado.  So im thinking the great plains and or midwest regions.  Again, thanks everyone.

Super Dave

Carbon fiber bodies aren't necessary.  Just go with fiberglass.  I had a couple of pieces from OPP, and it was nice.  Sharskinz makes very, very good stuff.  Additionally, I have to say that the Armour Bodies stuff is very, very good too.  You can get that through http://www.cfm-woodcraft.com in addition to all the stuff that Woodcraft makes.  I don't think there is anything that Woodcraft has that isn't just great.  Good family too. 

There are now some Chinese knock offs for fiberglass bodies, and, honestly, it isn't awful for the price.  You can get three sets for the price of some singular sets.  Makes it easy to swap pieces back and forth if you have damage from a crash or just time on track.  Might be a little brittle, but not a terrible option sometimes.  Some sets won't mount up well because of too much shrinkage from the materials used, etc.

Armour Bodies are actually made in the East now, but the standards by which they are made is by the guy that originally made them in Canada.  So, it's retained a lot of the quality and flexibility that he developed for his product, but at a lower price point. 

Hopefully, that will give you some ideas...
Super Dave

EX_#76

:lmao:
Guy, fixed it for ya...

Face it Don, you want to come back to the light.  That avatar is just your homage to the good old days.  Those Buell guys are just to tough to hang out with.
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor