Numberplate rule proposal

Started by monkeybrains, October 05, 2008, 09:00:53 PM

monkeybrains

I propose CCS change the number plate requirements, specifically for the tail section of the motorcycle.  Allow us to run just one number, across the top of the tail.  Just like the AMA.  WERA currently has this rule, but requires you to run your number on both sides of your lower.  I think it would mak it a lot easier for those with very tight tail sections.

Thanks for reading

Xian_13

Try emailing CCS directly with your suggestion.

XIII
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

Super Dave

Additionally, go to the rulebook, read the rule, then write a new rule as it would be in the rulebook.  Send that to CCS, and even try posting it here for support and additions to make it useable in CCS if is acceptable to them.
Super Dave

roadracer162

Is there a cut off date for rules proposals?? Sorry for not reasearching more before this post.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Super Dave

Usually, sooner rather than later is good.  I don't know a particular cut off, but a lot of people are at Daytona to give input.  So, I'd say ASAP.
Super Dave

Eric Kelcher

Cutoff for rule proposals is quick approaching as many of the committees convene at Daytona.

In regard to a change to a single tail number plate. Don't see it happening; if for some reason the Corner Worker groups suddenly say "Oh yeah those work" rather than "We can't read those" which is what we heard at the first round last year when AMA adopted them and again the reports this year fully support they are not as visible as the two numbers on the tail for bike identification.

FYI front numbers are used by scoring and by CW to get a bike off course once a safety issue has been ID'd, the tail numbers are used to ID a bike that is having a problem.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

cstem

As an announcer- from raised position, (usually on top of a trailer) seeing a single set of numbers on the tail is easier, especially if the the number is triple digit.  When the bike is leaned into a corner it is easier to see if you are on the inside of the turn. 

I personally like how Robert Jensen has is rear numbers located on the lower at the back (below his feet) in the pics of the Honda he rode at Laguna.  I have not, however, done any research to see how many of the newer machines have this space to do so.  The numbers in that location could not be read ( much like the tail numbers as the rule allows currently) by a corner worker standing on the inside of the turn (usually prefered for safety).

8x10 number plates (add on) are horrendously ugly and tend to stigmatize lots of racers. 
Reading a plate from the side is somewhat important in an on track situation- yet I have seen savvy Race Control persons use the corner workers to thier advantage (ex: Station three sees blue smoke for bike A.  Race control (or station 3 depending on protocol) asks station four to identify by front number plate bike A using phrases such as- "Need number on third bike to to you station four" or "Station four can you give my the number off the _____ colored bike with rider wearing ______ color helmet/leathers"
When a bike is on the ground, side plates mean nothing to a corner worker 50 feet away.
A solution is needed as number plate area is only getting smaller every year.  Number sizing  rules would needs to be changed too. 
Experimenting with other background colors for plates may be helpful to keep the three plate rule in place.  I know yellow and three digit black numbers can be hard to see on a bright sunny (most of ours) day.  A different background color may make the black numbers (or maybe white) easier for all to read.
The voice of the Southwest.

GSXR RACER MIKE

I realize it probably doesn't matter now, but in the event the bike can't effectively display the 3 traditional number plate locations I really like the 4 number plate/location situation (front nose, top of tail, and somewhere on each side of the lower). With that set-up it doesn't matter what position the bike is in while racing, a number is always visible. On top of that isn't CCS the one's who say the bike is supposed to look somewhat professional, I think that would look one hell of alot more professional than having to attach gaudy flat number plates!  :thumb:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Rick Beggs

I just spoke with one of my customers, who I had provided with free passes to the races. I asked him how he liked it. His reply "too boring, he said he could not identify any of the bikes on the track, so did not see any reason to watch them, since he did not know which one I was. He also said that there was one bike with numbers on the side, the only bike that he was  able to pick out of the crowd.
needless to say, I am putting numbers on the side of my bike now
RICK BEGGS
RnRCycles VPLubricants TuckerPowerSports FullSpectrumPower MotoLiberty RSTaichi AraiHelmet EBCBrakes EvansCoolant EVS DIDChains MaacoSterling ArmourBodies LextekMotorcycle WoolichRacing Woodcraft JTSprockets ZeroGravityRacing PitBull Lapking ChickenHawk PodiumMotorsportsPirelli

ahastings

didnt realize this was an old thread
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

ahastings

kumi has always told me the numbers on the side of the fairing are the most visible. and the ones on the undertail
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

Kuala76

Quote from: ahastings on August 21, 2012, 05:45:39 PM
kumi has always told me the numbers on the side of the fairing are the most visible. and the ones on the undertail

The single numbers on the top with the numbers on the side fairings is the BEST WAY TO GO, IMHO; and undertail of course ;).
Kumi
MARRC Corner Worker of the Year 2008
MARRC Vice President 2012
MARRC President 2013