News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Numberplate rule proposal

Started by monkeybrains, October 05, 2008, 09:00:53 PM

Falco

There are a lot of bikes with a single number plate on the top of the tail, myself included.  On few bikes you can't have two side plate numbers on the back (R6, Daytona etc.).  However, I like the idea of having a number plate on the lower fairing as well.
MW CCS #144 Am

roadracer162

I say put it on the most visible places for your bike. If that means the top and side then do so before they make it mandatory. If they never have an issue with visualizing the numbers I don't think they will waste their time chasing after something that doesn't need fixing.

For me I want the fans to be able to identify me on my bike, and having the numbers easily identified gives me the result that I want. You never know it just may bring some sponsors my way. I am not the fastest guy and certainly not the best looking, but I have had several that come up to me in the paddock who saw me or at least my bike out on the track.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

stlrainman

Quote from: majicMARKer on November 19, 2012, 10:18:42 AM
I say put it on the most visible places for your bike. If that means the top and side then do so before they make it mandatory. If they never have an issue with visualizing the numbers I don't think they will waste their time chasing after something that doesn't need fixing.

For me I want the fans to be able to identify me on my bike, and having the numbers easily identified gives me the result that I want. You never know it just may bring some sponsors my way. I am not the fastest guy and certainly not the best looking, but I have had several that come up to me in the paddock who saw me or at least my bike out on the track.

I wish we could just say "Put the numbers in the right spot for your particular bike". I also wish it could be standard from one sanctioning body to the next. The one common thing I've noticed is, each organization allows some wiggle room at tech if the bike or bodywork manufacturers make it hard to stick to the rule book.
"Let it Pour!"
MCRA Board Member
St. Louis

roadracer162

I agree with you. What I am suggesting is that if we can show that our placement of numbers work then there won't be an argument as to why not. Some reasonable  judgement should be utilized when making a decision on the clarity of the numbering. Let's say for example if the numbers are legible from XXX distance.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

StormTrooper

Can anyone tell me how I am able to fit a 10" x12" number plate on the front of my 2010 R1? Anyone racing one I'd love to see pics that comply.
STORM

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: StormTrooper on April 19, 2013, 07:10:13 PM
Can anyone tell me how I am able to fit a 10" x12" number plate on the front of my 2010 R1? Anyone racing one I'd love to see pics that comply.

Seen some use the side of the front fairing above the "headlight duct" and use 4" numbers. You will have to switch sides depending on where the tower is at the tracks you run. Most just go up from the ducts into the windscreen. Alot of bikes dont have 10x12 plates.

Heres an idea.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

StormTrooper

Would not having a 10X12 get me disqualified?
STORM

roadracer162

Storm, no it doesn't even though the rule book may state that. They have used some reasonable thinking when it comes to this and if it is legible they have no problems.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Woofentino Pugrossi

Like what Mark said, they are pretty easy about things. Just make sure its readable and definable. Just think about how will it read to cornerworkers and bridge staff while going at speed.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

StormTrooper

Quote from: majicMARKer on April 20, 2013, 10:15:20 PM
Storm, no it doesn't even though the rule book may state that. They have used some reasonable thinking when it comes to this and if it is legible they have no problems.
Quote from: Woofentino Pugrossi on April 21, 2013, 02:19:14 AM
Like what Mark said, they are pretty easy about things. Just make sure its readable and definable. Just think about how will it read to cornerworkers and bridge staff while going at speed.

Cool. Thanks Guys!!
STORM

brendan113

Sorry if this was already answered, but even tho  against the rules, would you be able to race with just one number plate on tail with numbers going from left side to right side?

roadracer162

Brendan, the politically correct answer would be NO, you would not be allowed to race because you wouldn't pass tech inspection. Now reality, there have been many bikes that don't meet the criteria or the rules but does pass tech because the competition number is legible. Keep in mind any and all opinions on this forum is not the authority or the ruling. I like the four number plate format. One on the front, one on the rear, and one on either side as long as your machine can do that. The older machines like my FZR 400 will easily comply with the rules and there is no need for the four plates. I prefer the four plates due to the fact that no matter what side the bike is on a number plate will be visible. If the machine is on track and mid corner it will not matter what direction it is being viewed from by a potential corner worker. On the inside the corner worker can view the tail number, and if the corner worker is on the outside the number plate on the side can be viewed.

Keep those things in mind and you can't go wrong.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22