News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

#66 has flown or USA run on donuts and junk food

Started by spyderchick, March 20, 2003, 04:12:36 PM

spyderchick

Update time again. After too many frantic hours getting Rhiannon ready to fly, (phone calls, settling accounts and digging up or purchasing what was needed), we went into "hurry up and wait" mode.

Did you know that in these hours the military prepares by eating plenty of donuts and drinking much coffee and soda? They could give cops a run for their money in that department.

So here's the rundown: we arrive at the base (6 people to see one little chickie off to war) with all of the gear. She checks in and waits for her aircraft to be ready. Rhiannon is a a crew chief and this was HER plane, so she's expected to work. So the goodbyes commence, hugs all around. This was a low key affair unlike the departure earlier that day involving news crews. (I'm glad, didn't need those people in my face.) They board the plane and begin the check list for flight.

Hurry up and wait. We have fog. Pea soup fog. So heavy that you cannot make out the aircraft not 250 feet from the flightline. Flight time comes and goes. Time ticks away. More time ticks away. They pull the flight crew off the craft. Rhiannon was sleeping. (how's that for nerves of steel?) We all get to sit around, joke, eat more donuts.

We sit, the crew is anxious. Rhiannon was the only one who had family stick around. We all watched the fog. (Did you know you can't see through that stuff?) We get another donut delivery. And sandwich stuff. We joke around, bad jokes by now as we're all punchy. The fog looks less dense. YES!

We wait some more. There are minimum visibilities for her plane to take off. We can see the entire tail section. We wait. You can see the entire plane. Another crew chief, Rick, has had enough. Let's call and see, let's fly. YES! Flight's on. Another round of hugs.

Rhiannon gets back on the plane, does her run throughs. The plane fires up. She drives the "jetway" back. Says good bye, AGAIN. ;D Heads back out to the plane, Does her thing to get it ready for flight, pulls the chocks, the crew climbs up the ladder. We wait for a much shorter period, they get clearance, and within a matter of minutes they are in the air.

I never want to see another donut again.

Rhiannon sends her love to everyone back home. She said to tell you she's coming back exfoliated and tan.  ;) Can't tell you where she's going, but she's got good people around her. That girl has mucho respect with her wing. You should hear the guys talk about her and her accomplishments. Thank you to everyone for their warm wishes and support. I'll be keeping you informed and I'll pass on any messages as I can. How long will she be gone? Could be 2 weeks, 2 months or a year, we don't know, orders were changing by the minute when we were there. Oh, she did manage to take scented candles and a Rossi replica bike. How's that for luxury?  

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

EX#996

Thanks for the update.

Tell Rhiannon - Paul says:  "Kick some a$$!'  :D

Paul, Dawn and Renee
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Baltobuell

And the worrieing begins.
As a parent I can only imagine. Stay strong and know she will be all right. You've seen she is trained and capable. Easy to say, impossible to do, but try not to worry. Get her something for her bike cause she'll need it ready by mid season!

spyderchick

Hey guys, thanks. With the pay she's getting, she hopes to have a fully prepped race bike waiting when she gets back.

It's weird, but I was more worried before she took off than I am now. She's with a really capable group with alot of experience under their belts. Again, let's all hope this whole thing is over quickly.

And K3? Don't worry dude, she'll make lemonade out of lemons, don't you know.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

oldguy

Best wishes to Rhiannon and she WILL be back soon. This won't take long, and don't worry about her. Nothing will be flying in the Gulf, but US! Best wishes and prayers!!!

diesel748

May God Bless her and keep her and all of the others protecting our freedom safe. I feel privilaged to know RH and will be elated when she comes home.

tigerblade

Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteHey guys, thanks. With the pay she's getting, she hopes to have a fully prepped race bike waiting when she gets back.

And K3? Don't worry dude, she'll make lemonade out of lemons, don't you know.

I'm just the guy for that job.  If she's still planning to use the FZR, why don't you give it to me?  I'll prep it to death in her absence.

0% labor charge of course.  Gotta support the troops!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

spyderchick

Chris,
          She's hunting for an F2 for use in F-USA Thunderbike. I think there's one that's under consideration right now. Hopefully, she be back in time to race the full season. :) Thanks for the kind offer. We luv ya, man. :-*
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org