Superbike Toy Store Sponsorship/Contingency

Started by Toy Store, September 23, 2008, 10:48:34 AM

Toy Store

Many of you already know who we are, but I want to get out there a little more on the race scene. I have thought about running a contingency program for quite some time, but have been unsure of what to do. I know all the usual suspects (Vortex, Golden Spectro, etc...) give you money/product for putting a sticker on your machine, but I question the effectiveness. What are your thoughts on this, and/or a completely different system that would be mutually beneficial? All suggestions and thoughts are welcome, just keep it realistic.
Patrick
www.superbiketoystore.com

Toy Store

My initial thought is to work with a handful of riders that;

1.) Are Expert riders
2.) Attend at least 80% of the region's races
3.) Typically finish mid-pack or better
4.) Display my stickers on 3 sides of the bike
5.) Display a prominent patch on their suit

And what I would offer is;

1.) 5% over cost purchases
2.) Gate fees
3.) 50.00 monthly store credit

What do you think? Too much, not enough?
Patrick

Jeff

Quote from: Toy Store on September 23, 2008, 11:41:11 AM
My initial thought is to work with a handful of riders that;

1.) Are Expert riders
2.) Attend at least 80% of the region's races
3.) Typically finish mid-pack or better
4.) Display my stickers on 3 sides of the bike
5.) Display a prominent patch on their suit

And what I would offer is;

1.) 5% over cost purchases
2.) Gate fees
3.) 50.00 monthly store credit

What do you think? Too much, not enough?

I think that's awesome Patrick...  It opens up the field for many people who might not get good sponsorship or deals like this.

Personally, I'd make them do a race report and mention your site/sponsorship too...  (actually, that's what I'd personally do to set myself apart, but since you're the one coughing up the coin, this could help you)
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Toy Store

Patrick

SVbadguy

Quote from: Toy Store on September 23, 2008, 12:49:37 PM
Do explain the race report? Please.

Something like these http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/tmcnerney/Blog.aspx
I usually post my race reports on several different forums as well, namely my local one and bike-specific ones.

Additionally I list my sponsors in my onboard video productions.  I actually stumbled upon some of my videos being posted on non-motorcycle, though motorsports-related websites.  That's some unintended though welcome exposure.
Mid-Atlantic Region 
MARRC Exec Committee at-large & Radio Committee Chair

Jeff

http://www.cbr600rr.com/pages/050805.htm

This is a pretty simple example of what I would do after *EVERY* race.  I always tried to highlight a couple of my sponsors and rotated through them.  Some of my other, better reports are stuck in a database that I can't get to right now, but you'll get the picture.

Also, you need to make sure that people are REFERRING business to you.  I used to live off of "Tell 'em Jeffy sent you" and it became somewhat of a joke, but by god, I got sponsors, got a ton of them and did quite well by each and every one of them to the point where I was turning sponsorship down...

Make people earn it... 
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Toy Store

I have a question, and I don't want it to be taken the wrong way; who reads those race reports? I hope that doesn't come across wrong, I know I've never read a race report outside of rrworld, etc...
Patrick

DakotaCBR

I've read all of Jeff's race reports on 600rr.com, probably 2 or 3 times. Actually, his reports (along with a few other racers) got me interested in road racing in general.
Jon Hatcher - CCS FL #308

Toy Store

So I guess other racers? I'm trying to understand the "reach." I like the idea of it, and Jeff (as well as others that have contacted me today) have a handle on supporting their sponsors. I've never officially put together a sponsorship program, so I'm a little green with this. I hope I didn't offend Jeff with that last post; I'm just trying to understand.
Patrick

DakotaCBR

Well, what I meant was that I was just a street rider (with zero track time) that started reading his reports, then got interested in road racing.
Jon Hatcher - CCS FL #308

Toy Store

Patrick

Jeff

Didn't offend me at all...  I have a different venue for exposure than many people do.  I own a few websites and mailing lists that have exposure out to +1 million unique visitors annually.  Through them I've managed to build up a fair bit of following.  People enjoyed reading my reports and I enjoyed publishing them.  And every one I published would be sent out to around 5000 people.  Including my sponsors, who enjoyed them.

To back wayyyyyy up, back in 1999 I started cbr600f4.com after I bought the bike.  I had no intention of racing.  I started doing product reviews on things I would buy and use on the bike.  I would send that out to the "CBR List" (a fairly sizable email list).  People enjoyed it.  They bought products based on my reviews (remember, this was pretty "cutting edge" for the time).  Quite quickly that resulted in companies just sending me stuff to review!  It was cool!  I got free swag and continued to grow my "fame"..

In 2000 I took over the CBR List (which at the time did about 20 million emails annually.  Now it's around 10M as people migrate to web forums). 

In 01 I started racing after I moved to IA from the VA/DC area - I actually lived in WV, 1 mile from Summit Point.  I leveraged the relationships I had and "voice" I had ("Tell 'em Jeffy sent you") into sponsorships.  I did quite well, and it grew tremendously with CBR600RR.com

Everything I received, I wrote about.  The good/the bad/the ugly.  All of it.
Everything I DID, I wrote about..

People liked the "real world" view of what was involved in everything.  It continued to fuel my racing.  Without it, racing for 6 full seasons would have never been possible.

My "claim to fame" is that I drove business to my sponsors.  I provided them a clear and visible return on investment.  I under-promised and over-delivered. 

Too many people think that they "deserve" sponsorship because they race, or because they do good.  They think that a sticker and listing in CCS sponsors for racers is all that's required.  However, that does nothing for your business.  Someone hand-holding a street guy into your shop brings you revenue.

I was probably the most well sponsored 5th place guy you'll ever find.

Much of what was written to you on the wera board is spot on.  "Do right by the communities and word will get around".  Customer service is absolultely KEY in your business.  Provide a fair price and outstanding customer service and word will get around.  Sponsoring a few races, awards, etc can help fuel that exposure if done right.  However, a sticker on the side of the bike that crosses the finish line first with nothing else is not likely to bring you a dime...

Maybe a different approach to the question would be this:

Hey guys, I'm considering providing sponsorship of X.  It will cost me $X per rider.  What can you provide me in return for this?

Just my $.35 based on doing this for a few years.

(feel free to continue the questions)
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest