How do slicks wear compared to DOTs?

Started by ecumike, March 19, 2003, 06:06:31 PM

ecumike

I've never used slicks, and was wondering how long they (typically) last compared to when you use DOTs.

For example, all else being equal, if I can get 2.5 - 3 weekends out of a set of DOTs, will I get the same amount of life from slicks ?

Protein Filled

How long they last depenmds on you, but slicks tend to last longer than DOT's...
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

Jeff

In my limited experience.....

Slicks are more sensitive to heat cycles than DOTs are.  So, the life of them depends on the races you run on them.  A single set of slicks lasted me 3 weekends of GTU and middleweight Superbike ONLY (no practice days, etc).

The uniqueness of slicks though is that once they start to go, they start sliding in the most predictable manner I've ever encountered.  It's actually FUN.  It's like riding a dirtbike.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

duc995@aol.com

I race an Aprilia like you and the DOTs are not the way to go (unless you race Supersport)!  I can get about four race weekends out of a set of slicks (Michelin, medium compound) whereas a set of Michelin Pilot Race DOTs will last me one to two weekends.  

My weekends consist of three practice session each day (Sat/Sun) one 30 min GT race, and 6 sprints!

I will never use DOTs again, except on my backup bike as I use it for Supersport.

Lesson learned...take my advice and don't look back!!! :)

TreyBone

I use up one set a weekend on the DOT's. I run friday practice with tires from the previous sunday race weekend. then put new tires on for Saturday and Sunday. Every race weekend :-/

oh344ccs

Alright, this isn't about wear, but I want to know.  I haven't ever rode on slicks, does it improve your lap times??  I will be racing a 3hr endurance at the AMA grand nationals this year, did it last year and was top AM, on dot's.  They were shot at the end, past the wear markers.  I might use slicks for this race this year if it will help, I'm still an AM and would like to try and win it this year ;D ;D

Super Dave

I don't think it will dramatically help your times, unless the bike is so weird that it isn't hooking up with the DOT and for some reason the contour of the slick helps.

The slick might offer you some opportunities where the life might be better over the long haul compared to the DOT, but if it could be damp...  

Super Dave

chris_chops

If you are running slicks, pay attention to the compound #'s(in the little shiny blocks) on the sidewalls of the tires.  Slicks that look identical are not always the same compound.  A good tire guy should be able to guide you towards a tire that you require.  Obviously, a gummy rear won't last very long at in the carousel at Road America in august, even on a lightweight bike with no power.  Get a good education on the specific #'s on the sidewall.
I've seen identical(other than these tricky little #'s) looking slicks with 771, 584, 801, and many other #'s including dual-compound slicks available at regionals.  Sometmes confusing.  As you try diff. #'s over time, get your pen out and record feedback.  I am no good at this, that is why the tire guys hear my same questions every couple races.  God bless them.
Matt

khanson

Matt,

You're not saying you just hop on the bike and ride it like you brought it are you.

Give me a call or email me a number I can call you at.  I wanted to see about what dates you might be available.  I really need somebody for Road Atlanta.

217-493-3811
Kevin Hanson<br /><br />www.SafetyFirstRacing.com<br />Safety First Racing<br />847.357.1309

chris_chops

QuoteMatt,

You're not saying you just hop on the bike and ride it like you brought it are you.

Give me a call or email me a number I can call you at.  I wanted to see about what dates you might be available.  I really need somebody for Road Atlanta.

217-493-3811
Actually, my palmpilot was working up until the end of the season, so I had valuable notes for gateway and gingerman.  Now they are gone.  Maybe I am better off as I can try something new.  I'll call you or e-mail you soon and we can catch up.  Looking forward to seeing you and the new superbike.  Are you and Monte going down to RAtlanta?

Matt