News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Water Wetter

Started by Team Spalding, September 07, 2008, 02:43:53 PM

Noidly1

What about De-ionized or Reverse-Ozmosis water?
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

Super Dave

Actually, I believe Ed Key had a problem using de-ionized water. 

Water Wetter is known for making a brown sledge too.  I don't understand why it does that, but it can happen.

Ultimately, Water Wetter is only a surfactant, something that lowers the surface tension of water.  I have used Palmolive, yes, you're soaking in it, as a replacement for Water Wetter.  Doesn't seem to become as brown. 

Water, ultimately, is a problem. 
Super Dave

Team Spalding

Asking for a friend I am trying to get to do a trackday. Palmolive sounds like it would create pressures with suds. Who in the hell was the first guy to think "I'll just put some Palmolive in there"?
Joel Spalding
CCS & ASRA #36

Sponsors: Michelin, Ducati Of Indy, Wife Cindy, Held Gloves, Southeast Sales.

dylanfan53

Quote from: Redbuell on September 09, 2008, 08:00:24 PM
Who in the hell was the first guy to think "I'll just put some Palmolive in there"?

:lmao: I always wonder the same thing.  I think someone just wanted silky smooth hands.   :lmao:
Don Cook
CCS #53

Noidly1

Never heard of it...
However, it's one way to keep your cooling system clean.  :biggrin:
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

Burt Munro

Why would you want to run any kind of water through an engine?

Seems like kind of a pain in the ass to me!

Right Don?  Right Dave?

:biggrin:
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Super Dave

Quote from: dylanfan53 on September 09, 2008, 08:07:15 PM
:lmao: I always wonder the same thing.  I think someone just wanted silky smooth hands.   :lmao:
As the story goes, Water Wetter had an application of being used in pumper trucks for fire work to reduce some lubrication and corrosion issues.  But some firemen recognizing that sirfactants in diswashing detergents did the same thing tried it.  I think I first did it in 2000 or 2001.
Super Dave

Super Dave

Quote from: Burt Munro on September 10, 2008, 02:27:10 AM
Why would you want to run any kind of water through an engine?

Water cooling is just a fad.
Super Dave

LMsports

If you have any chemistry friends they will tell you that Water Wetter is actually considered a soap, and soaps by nature lower surface tensions, and that is how they improve cooling. That is the very basic jist...
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

cbr600_mj

EX_#76

Quote from: Super Dave on September 09, 2008, 07:56:13 AM
Actually, I believe Ed Key had a problem using de-ionized water. 

Water Wetter is known for making a brown sledge too.  I don't understand why it does that, but it can happen.

Ultimately, Water Wetter is only a surfactant, something that lowers the surface tension of water.  I have used Palmolive, yes, you're soaking in it, as a replacement for Water Wetter.  Doesn't seem to become as brown. 

Water, ultimately, is a problem. 

No cooling problems with DI water.  What Ed's problem was is that he had a poor engine to chassis ground.  When he switched to DI water (which is not electrically conductive)  The engine quit.  We think that part of the ground path was through the cooant. 

De ionizing the water should make it basically inert.  Adding water wetter decreases the surface tension of the water.  This gives the water the ability to make better contact with the surface you want to cool.  This will only help to a certain extent.  The water wetter is essentially dish soap.  Soap has less capacity to carry thermal energy than water.  So, if you add too much water wetter the efficiency of your cooling system will be reduced.  I do not know how much water wetter it would take to impact the cooling system negatively, but I would guess allot.
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

EX_#76

Quote from: cbr600_mj on September 11, 2008, 04:52:12 PM
Anybody ever use the stuff called pro cool?

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Silkolene_ProCool_Coolant_Additive--609801.html

Good or bad??

Works good.  I do not know why this stuff is legal in a race bike.  It is just as slippery as ethylene glycol.   I have heard it cleans up better than regular antifreeze.
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor