News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

NJ MOTO-ST Round?

Started by Burt Munro, September 02, 2008, 02:17:37 PM

Burt Munro

Any first hand reports out there from people who raced the recent MOTO-ST round in NJ?

Curious as to track impressions from a racing and operational viewpoint.......

I know I could go to the MOTO-ST site but looking for real info that isn't diluted and totally PC.

Thanks!    :thumb:
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

EX_#76

Quote from: Burt Munro on September 02, 2008, 02:17:37 PM
Any first hand reports out there from people who raced the recent MOTO-ST round in NJ?

Curious as to track impressions from a racing and operational viewpoint.......

I know I could go to the MOTO-ST site but looking for real info that isn't diluted and totally PC.

Thanks!    :thumb:

Class A facility.  I think once they get grass planted it will be comparable to Barber minus the museum.  Track is fast and flowing plus very grippy.  The riders said that the track does not require much effort to ride, but did require your head to be in the game.  The track does have a dangerous spot on the pit entrance with a bend in track with arm-co real close. 

Guy   
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

zeroice

Hey Burt,
The NJ track layout is awesome. Lots of sideways time which doesn't give too much advantage to the bigger bikes.

We ran one chicane, at T2. So I guess you can call the right, left and right hander after T2, T3a. T3b and T3c, respectively. They are fun and make for good opportunities to pass

I especially like the small hills that make some of the turns blind, like T2. That turn is really a test of your memory because you need to get on the gas before you see the exit. If you gas when you see the exit, its too late, your too slow.

The hill between T3 and T4 is fun too, get a bit of a wheelie!!!

Lots of late apexes that are deceiving, makes for a good challenge and lots of fun.

There is also another high speed right turn, T6 I guess, (after the sharp left turn/T5) before the right hander carousel that is fast and wide, so it's difficult to judge where the exit is but you can really get on the gas early and hold it open for a while and drift out.

The double left and right carousel are super fun, which are followed by what I call the "snake" and a high speed WOT last turn that just lets the bike drift to edge of the track! The snake is similar to T5 at VIR. Lots of good passing here too.

The place could definitely benefit from some planted grass to keep the dust down, particularly in the paddock.
And their effort to "clean" the track during the break between practice and qualifying just laid down a bunch of car rubber making qualifying a bit tricky having to avoid the big chunks of rubber.

All in all, I'd have to say that this track is awesome and challenging. Not too tight and not too big. Great for passing and spectating. I look forward to going there again next year!
Krishna A. Pribadi
CCS #707

tug296

I watched some of the Rolex car race from there, it looked like a top notch facility.
Some of the car guys talked about the lack of width though.
Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

PJ721

Very nice facility...
once the grass grows/gets planted....and construction is finished around the track - it will be excellent...
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Laugh uncontrollably...
And never regret anything that made you smile....

Scotty Ryan

"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

CounterSteerer

Non PC =19 hours in a truck with 5 guys for the trip up was stinky to say the least. Broken oil cooler in practice so we got in a total of 8 laps to learn the track. There were steel barriers everywhere some places they didn't matter other areas were scary. They need to level off the run off in a couple of turns, if you run wide on an exit it looked like you would fall off the edge of a mountain. After the chicane before the front straight you run under a bridge so there is a wall to the left and right of you as you set up for the front straight right hander. The giant chunks of tire marbles from the sweepers trying to make the track cleaner. Not a big horse power track. Super dusty everywhere. That was the only negative I could think of.

Overall the facility is top notch. The track is smooth and plenty of grip. The cars guys were complaining it was not wide enough for them but for us there was plenty of room and there were so many places to pass almost in every turn. Once they finish construction, get the dust problem solved and add some air fence the place will be awesome. Look forward to riding there again.

CCS FL, ASRA
Jason Edmonds