News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

XT Lap Timers.

Started by Steviebee, March 18, 2003, 08:25:46 PM

Steviebee

How many of you guys use lap timers ?  
The ESU transponders dont give you lap times on your bike right ?  you have to get it after ?

If i get one of the XT lap timers will i need to set up a bas station ??  

At the NESBA days theres alyways someone with a base setup.  So all i need is the receiver.

Is this the same with a CCS weekend ??
What about friday practice days and VRS schools at Blackhawk ?? And other none CCS friday practice (Gingerman)

FUBAR606

You're correct. Transponders do not give you on board lap times.

Transmitters are usually set up by someone who is also using a lap timer, but you shouldn't count on it. Be prepared to use your own just in case you don't see one set up...just consider it your turn in the barrel.

Super Dave

They are nice units, Steve.  I'll be selling them.  I'll have one at my gig on the 3rd if you're interested.

Impressive little units.  They will run off the Micron beacon, and someone always has one.  Lots of cool features though too.  I like the fact that it has a normal AA battery that I can get anywhere, rather than searching all over for one that costs a lot more.
Super Dave

oh344ccs

I bought the Mychron lap timer last year, I love it, I like being able to see my lap times while on the bike.  At most places when you know what times you should be running, you see it instantly when you cross the beacon.  I always set it at the very begining of the longest straight so I have time to glance at it while hitting my shift points.  I think they have a new one that ou can download your times to keep a better record. ;D

Clay

Man, the XT is AWSOME!  I bought one at my trackday this past weekend.  The XT just BLOWS the My-chron outta the water.  I loved being able to have all those functions and look back at all my lap times.  I also get to store them all by track day/race etc.  It automatically turns on and starts recording as soon as you pass the beacon, no fiddling with buttons!  Sweet sweet unit!  

Super Dave

And the bonus part about the XT is that it gets all kinds of features and uses a normal AA battery.  But it isn't very expensive.  I don't have a price list in front of me, but they are really reasonable.
Super Dave

oh344ccs

Is there a website that carries the XT?  I want to check it out.  Hey, SDave, how much are you selling it for?  And, have you found all your R6 parts yet?

Super Dave

http://www.cc-2000.com/xtracing/products.html

Should be able to do it for my students at about $179.  

R6 parts...

They are coming, I guess.  I have a windscreen!
Super Dave

rossifumi

I also recommend picking up the download cable, IR receiver and computer program too. You can download all you lap info into the provided program and make all sorts of graphs, spreadsheets, etc... Very nice when comparing your times at the same track from one weekend to the next :)

The XT also has this cool feature where either a red or green light will flash indicating whether the lap just completed was slower/faster than the previous one.

Mike

charliev

S_Dave do you have the xt lap timers yet? I would like to get one.

Super Dave

Yeah, I do have one for myself and I have another.  I can always get more.

Drop me an e-mail...

visionsprt@netwurx.net
Super Dave

ColoradoTZ

Just my experience and a few others in our club with regard to the XT Timers.  

I bought an XT Timer for use on my TZ.  I had nothing but trouble with it the entire time.  It never, ever, recorded a single lap time.

I had it an event and while it would come on and work when I held the receiver and moved it in front of the transmitter it NEVER worked on the bike.  

I went around the pits asking if others had an XT and if they had any problems.  Of the 5 people that I found in the pit area, another one failed to work, 2 were working intermittently, and one had no problems.  

We added an XT Transmitter trackside next to a Mychron and moved the XT further back from the track.  This solved the problem for only one other one.

I sent the unit back to XT who said they found no problem with the unit.  Unfortunately the season ended and winter set in so I never got to retest the unit after its visit to XT.

A few months ago I was at the track.  Three guys were out there with the XT units.  1 worked, 1 intermittently, and 1 did not work (record) any laps at all but would scroll the banner page.

I liked what the XT had to offer but what good are all those neat functions if the unit won't record a single lap?

When I talked to XT, they stated that to ensure the XT record laps you should use the XT transmitter, you should also use a power supply other than the AA batteries you put in the transmitter.

I had a Mychron and never had a problem with it ever.  Sure it wasn't intuitively obvious how to use it, but it never missed a beat.

I posted this same issue on another board, and although the majority had favorable things to say about the XT, there were still a small number of people that issues with the XT....

Just my experience....