Buell Belt to Chain?

Started by G-reg, August 13, 2008, 03:33:01 PM

G-reg

Where can I get an idler sprocket and a front sprocket to convert a 2003 Buell XB9 from a belt drive to a 520 chain drive?  I can find plenty of pictures of it done and the rear sprockets, and I found the front sprocket in a 530 size, but nothing for the idler or a 520 front sprocket.
--Greg
MW EX#84

wolf44

might want to try hal's, i've seen some others around but can't seem to find any
www.halspa.com
Quote from: benprobst on July 28, 2008, 11:24:05 PM
Huh, guess I was wrong,
CCS GP EX#5
2008 Sponsors
MotoVelocity www.motovelocity.net
Mills Quarter Horses www.millsquarterhorses.com
St. Louis Staffing www.stlouis-staffing.com
Ducati Omaha www.ducatiomaha.com

G-reg

I saw that, but thats an entire replacement swingarm.  And it costs probably as much as the bike is worth  :biggrin:
--Greg
MW EX#84

PJ

I believe Hal's will sell you the idler sprocket alone. You can probably purchase the front sprocket from them too. There are a number of other front sprocket source options, but here's one. http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/xl/index.htm

Why would you want to replace the belt for a chain if you are not getting the swingarm kit for adjustability? The belt drive is geared pretty well for most tracks except Road America and Daytona, plus it weighs 75% less than a chain.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

G-reg

Its just a street bike so I really don't need adjustability.  Looking to go to a chain mainly for reliability, the bike only has 8,000 miles on it and its gone through 2 belts now.  It must've been a bad design because from what I've found on google 2004 and newer got a stronger belt with different sprockets..
--Greg
MW EX#84

Super Dave

http://grandstanddesigns.com/old/Home.html

Go to Buell parts, then street parts, then chain drive conversion.
Super Dave

x mud slinger

2 belts in 8k something is a miss here.. you need to check the alignment and all surfaces for burrs and what not. a belt should last at least 25k if not more.

eboos

I got my 520 chain conversion from Baker Drivetrains, but I have a tube framed Buell. They use PBI front sprockets. The sprockets are not included in the kit offered by Buell Racing, instead, it's only the swingarm and the axle (plus some other components). You could check out badweatherbikers.com and there will surely be plenty of information on where to get the sprockets.
LRRS #205 Novice
2000 Buell M2
2010 Sponsors: Precision HD/Buell, Precision Triumph, Boston Moto, Superbike Toy Store, Pilot, Braking, RK Chains

vnvbandit

Quote from: x mud slinger on August 16, 2008, 09:51:38 PM
2 belts in 8k something is a miss here.. you need to check the alignment and all surfaces for burrs and what not. a belt should last at least 25k if not more.

On Big Twins the belts last well over 100,000 miles.
I've found that early belt breakage usually is from a belt adjusted too loose (is. like a chain) or the pulley teeth are worn sharp.
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

eboos

The 03 Buell XB bikes used a belt with a 11mm pitch which were known to be weak. The following year they switched to a 14mm pitch and were much stronger. Then over the course of the past few years they revised the belt twice making them stronger each time (06 and 08 or 09 were the revision years for the belt). The most current and strongest belts will fit any 04 and up XB pulleys.

You could just update your belt and pulley system. I priced it out for a customer a few years ago, and it was only around $300 for the essential items.
LRRS #205 Novice
2000 Buell M2
2010 Sponsors: Precision HD/Buell, Precision Triumph, Boston Moto, Superbike Toy Store, Pilot, Braking, RK Chains

Burt Munro

Dan,

I'm not even going ask why you were looking for Buell parts on eBay...........  :ahhh:
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

G-reg

Where was this last week.  :banghead:  That would've been perfect!

Already got the parts to do it all separately.  Now I'm working on getting the giant chunk of rust formerly known as the front sprocket off..
--Greg
MW EX#84

resurection

I can modify the sprockets to fit if that might help?

G-reg

I've got the sprockets, thanks though!

Latest problem.  Whats the trick to getting the front sprocket off?  Tried an impact wrench and it wouldn't budge.
--Greg
MW EX#84

Sindarin

I have a 1200 lbft Snap-On impact gun that should get it off. If not theres always the torch....  :biggrin:

Let me know and I'll bring it with me next weekend.

:cheers:

eboos

Quote from: G-reg on August 29, 2008, 10:15:52 AM
I've got the sprockets, thanks though!

Latest problem.  Whats the trick to getting the front sprocket off?  Tried an impact wrench and it wouldn't budge.

It is reverse threaded. To take it off, it must turn clockwise.
LRRS #205 Novice
2000 Buell M2

Super Dave

Quote from: eboos on October 03, 2008, 09:26:31 AM
It is reverse threaded. To take it off, it must turn clockwise.

True. 

But, even knowing that, we couldn't get mine off my Buell.  Took going to a really, really, really strong impact.  It's only supposed to be 50ft lbs of torque, but I think it had the new black Loctite on it.

Oh, and I have a simple chain conversion kit for a Buell if anyone is interested.  PM me?
Super Dave