Jennings GP Needs Your Help

Started by ceesthadees, March 18, 2003, 03:24:33 PM

ceesthadees

This weekend I attended a track day at Jennings GP racetrack in Jennings Florida. At the rider's meeting we were asked to short shift at certain points on the track because Hamilton county (the county where the track is located) had set up decibel meters to determine if the track was in violation of county noise ordinances.

I am sure there are a lot of small town politics behind the decision to try and shut down Jennings GP, but the bottom line is the track is in real danger.

If you have been or plan to go to JenningsGP, go to www.jenningsgp.com and select "Please Help JenningsGP" to find out how to contact Hamilton county to voice your opinion. Statements concerning spending money in the county while you are there are particularly poignant.

Thanks

Cecil McCracken, CCS Florida, Expert #99

Dawn

A person hears about that time after time.....

"Whaaaaa!!!!!  I moved next to a race track and the noise is keeping me up at night!"  Stupid people.  DON'T MOVE THERE THEN!

If you don't want to smell manure - DON'T MOVE ACROSS THE ROAD FROM A FARM!

People now days....  no common sense.   ::)

(OK I'm done ranting!)

Dawn   :-/

racer865

Who complained about the noise? Theres nothing around this track but scrub brush and pasture  Its in the middle of freakin nowhere Must be some politically active holstiens

ceesthadees

Please keep in mind that this was told to me by the track manager, I have not independently verified the facts, but...

The only house within five miles of the track is owned by the ex-county commissioner. The same commissioner who was in office when the permit for the track was approved.

Apparently, he had a change of heart and has the political clout to revoke the permit.

Additionally, there is a cart track in the same county that has no noise restrictions.

Go figure...

YTAK_Racing

That place is in the middle of BFE

The cows and alligators are pissed

cbrracerg

QuoteWho complained about the noise? Theres nothing around this track but scrub brush and pasture  Its in the middle of freakin nowhere Must be some politically active holstiens
I have to behave on this board or Dawn will yell at me!But it's one D^@khead that used to be with the track.Now complains on a daily basis.It's a great track, and the people are always willing to help.This would be a shame if it cause the track to close :o

TreyBone

How in the hell is short shifting on certain sections of the track gonna make any difference? I've been there and raced, and it is in the middle of know where. I would almost guarantee that if you took a decibal reader and held it just of I95 that the noise lever would meet or excede the track noise levels. But hey, its easier to fight a small racetrack than it is the federal highway program :-/

TreyBone

excuse me.. im a retard. I live near I95.  I meant I75.   doh, i feel like an idiot.   Wait a minute..... I AM ;D

MELK-MAN

this does suck.. however, it is also up to us, the riders, to monitor the noise of our bikes. as a new racer, i can tell you there is always 1 or 2 bikes that are WAY LOUDER than all the rest. it really sounds like there is no friggin muffler at all. THESE bikes contribute greatly to the problem. even full race exsts. on the large liter bikes are not as loud as some of these bikes im describing.
however.... if it is political.. its going to be a tough battle no matter what.
it would be a shame to see it shut down.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

ceesthadees

The short shifting plan was a quick fix for the day. The Jennings GP folks knew where the county was placing the meters and therefore knew where it would be best not to accelerate all the way to the rev limiter.

BTW. Some friends of mine have done track days at Laguna Seca and the track officials monitor you at certain points on the track. Fail once and you get a warning, fail twice and you get the boot.

MightyDuc Racing

This is what I emailed them:

To whom it may concern:

I have traveled to the Jennings GP Race Complex a few times in the past and plan to come there at least 5-6 times this year for racing and practice. I understand that there is a gentleman lodging complaints about noise levels. I hope you realize that there will never be a city that every person is happy in, nor is there any city in the country that doesn't have some residents that are lonely or bitter about something and try to take it out on others. I also want to inform you that each trip I take to Jennings will generally involve me spending in the neighborhood of $300-$500 in your city. I come with a fairly large crew and we need lodging, food, and fuel. That translates into me (1 rider) bringing in approximately $2400 per year to your city's economy. Now multiply that by the 75 or so riders with the same type of schedule I run during my race season and you are talking about roughly $180,000 per year of extra boost for your local economy. I imagine that the one or two complaint lodgers bring in less than 2-5% of that amount. I hope this helps you in your investigation into the complaints about the race track.

Thanks,
Bryan Cassell
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

cbrracerg

QuoteThis is what I emailed them:

I like it :D

Clay

Hey Cee, I was there this past weekend too :D  Red/black 929, pitted down at the end of the track at the turn one end.  KEWL seeing that factory suzuki team there!!!!  

Yup, they said it was just one jerk off doing all the complaining.  I think it's pathetic, you build a track in BFE and people still complain  ::)

MELK-MAN

http://www.jenningsgp.com/

go to the link, down below is a link that you can email the county and tell them how you feel about keeping the track open. I copy/pased quite a bit of what MightyDuc had in his letter..
later
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice