Fork Cartridge kits

Started by Fast4fun, August 09, 2008, 10:19:25 AM

Fast4fun

In your opinion, are the cartridge kits worth the expense? I'm considering the upgrade but I'm looking for ways to justify the cost. I currently have my forks re-valved with racetech valves. If the cartridge kits noticeably improve feel, lap times, or any other measure over what I currently have then i will certainly get it done. When I replaced my shock, I noticed better feel for what the rear tire was doing and also that it didn't fade during a GT race. If I can get the same in the front then It's worth it. Which brings me to my second question...

Which kit is best?  Traxxion has a 20mm kit for a reasonable price and a pressurized kit for twice the reasonable price. Racetech has a 25mm kit for a reasonable price as well. Which kit is right for me... is it worth the extra price to get the gas pressurized kit now or should I approach this stepwise and get the regular kit first and upgrade as needed? Also, is 25mm better than 20mm. Does the extra valving that racetech claim make a difference?  I'd be interested in your thoughts and experience in this matter. BTW Traxxion makes some pretty bold claims for their gas pressurized kits, "the bumps will disapear."
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

Super Dave

With the addition of fork cartridge kits in the past few years, I have not seen a dramatic reduction in the lap records at tracks that would lead me to believe that the kits ability to necessarily lower lap times for an individual.

It might allow one to clean things up on track, but that's still back to an individual's tuning or your track side tuner, which few have.

Chassis development is still back to springs and geometry for the real baseline to develop faster laps.  Sometimes, the installation process results in changes that alter the static or operating geometry that one might not recognize.

It's not the Holy Grail. 

However...

In some Japanese motorcycles, the manufacturers have done some pretty exotic things in materials and in development that have cost them dearly.  To keep prices down, and recognizing that hard core racers aren't going to leave things alone, some bikes are coming with some pretty crummy fork internals.  So, I think the kits are here to stay.

I've been on a couple Triumphs on track, and I think there biggest problem is geometry.

Good luck with your decision!
Super Dave

Fast4fun

I called around for more information and I found similar stories to Soop's. For now I've decided to keep the money and apply it towards more tires and track time. Which brings me to my next question. What is the best way to Mid Ohio from Chicago? Mapquest insists that I should take Route 30 but it looks to me that I-80 would obviously be faster.
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

Super Dave

I use 30.  No tolls.  Nice road with a good clip.  A lot of 4 lane stuff too.  It's my recommendation.
Super Dave

Xian_13

CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

Eye-p

If you are on a Triumph I would suggest giving Mike Himmelsbach at Penske a call. He has been racing one for a few years- and kicking ass- and works for Penske.
He was really helpful in setting up my RC this season and I cant say enough good things about the Penske stuff.
Jason Levitt
Full Spectrum Power
www.speed-cell.com