Turning Racing into a Career

Started by Braincrater, July 30, 2008, 12:54:25 PM

Russell2566

spyderchick

Quote from: lil_thorny on July 31, 2008, 11:39:48 AM

As for unique skill...I am not completely sold on this one. I believe that like everything, practice and perseverance  means more than God given natural talent. Yes, starting at a much earlier age will help your brain hone those motor / reflex skills but that will not help you with learning everything about racing and being fast everywhere.

Unique skill means that you're not doing something that 3 other people are already doing business wise, like retail, selling fuel, etc. There's is always room for good suspension tuners or engine builders, but you have to be willing to work hard and know your stuff. Finding a niche, and then selling it is the quickest way to become successful.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Braincrater

Great information fellas...  I am still going to strive for my goal no matter what.  I did get some bad news yesterday tho, I was laid off from my job so now I have no income!  I have been out job hunting all day with no luck... maybe something will turn up.

Super Dave

I'm reading a lot of negativity.

Seems silly and pointless.  Really, racing is silly and pointless, but we do it because it's fun.

So many posts are all related to, seemingly, racing AMA, which is where individuals spend money.  Meanwhile, as amateurs, some Buell money goes unclaimed. 

It's really quite simple.  Focus on set up, go where the money is.  Track time is not the ultimate answer.  If it was, then Honda would have Nicky riding all the time and Stoner's success would only be measured in the end by how many more laps he did in testing.

There are plenty of examples of racers that are successful that didn't start when they were two.  Being connected has a lot to do with networking.  Yes, you wanna race for some team, you might have to come up with cash for your ride. 

That's the "rock star" life style.  But that level of livin' shouldn't be on one's radar screen because it's just no reality.  Wanna make a living or pay for your racing?  Focus on set up, race where the money is. 

Sponsors?  Focus on a specific program, build it from there. 

Executing these things is usually where individuals and groups loose sight of the end game.  It's not easy.  But it's not brain surgery either.
Super Dave

spyderchick

I don't think it's really negative, more a dose of reality.

Mostly everything said here is true.

And yes, you can make a living (riding, wrenching or otherwise) doing what you love. It all depends upon what your standard of 'living' is. Be prepared to work hard no matter what.

Most of us here live fairly simple, modest lifestyles. No mansions or fancy cars. Some guys have the trickest sickest bikes, but when you go to their house, the garage is nicer than their kitchen.

Shoot for the stars, but keep your feet on the ground. We all seem to find our place in this crazy-ass sport.  8)
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Peter.BoyWonder

This is a dream that I have had, but I think that I determined that i don't want my passion to turn into my job. I don't ever want ever want to feel about racing like I sometimes do about my job....you know like "Shit...its Monday and I don't feel like going in...". Also, to be honest, there are times when I just don't feel like pushing it when I ride or for whatever reason, my head is not completely in it. If I were racing to put food in my belly, I wouldn't have the luxury of opting to go out just for fun.

Burt Munro

Guy is on the right path in finding something unique to offer sponsors.........

Billy Bo's too modest to admit it, but he's been able to lock up the whole cross gender market.

It was a stroke of genious when he and Scotty introduced the Ambiguously Gay Duo thing

Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

eboos

Unless you want to quit in frustration early on, I would say just have fun racing and do the best you can. Let things develope and just worry about going faster and being consistant. Then when you start collecting contingency, start making plans on how to get more.

My over inflated ego kept me off the track for most of 2007. I thought that I was rookie of the year material, but it turns out that I really suck and I need to be realistic about my goals. My goal this year is to simply make it to every round with no excuses and to show constant improvement. I am having a blast this year, and I am reaching my goals. Next year I'll worry about setting the world on fire  :biggrin: .
LRRS #205 Novice
2000 Buell M2
2010 Sponsors: Precision HD/Buell, Precision Triumph, Boston Moto, Superbike Toy Store, Pilot, Braking, RK Chains

Mongo

If you really have a passion for it while you may get burnt out, you still wanna go to work.

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
www.wera.com

barb_arah

Try racing because you love it.  Trying to make money out of racing turns it into a job, and that's sounds like too much work.  What I do at the races I do because I love it; I'm not in it to make money. 
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.

russ1962

I made so much money racing, I retired early and moved to Sicily.

Russ W. Intravartolo, EX #47
mailto:rintravartolo@yahoo.com

Super Dave

Quote from: russ1962 on August 04, 2008, 03:10:45 PM
I made so much money racing, I retired early and moved to Sicily.

LOL! 

Russ, that was almost like a Geico commercial.   :cheers: :lmao:
Super Dave