Turning Racing into a Career

Started by Braincrater, July 30, 2008, 12:54:25 PM

Russell2566

Racing is a drug, if you really want to be a hardcore addict your going to be broke, loose your girlfriend and your going to get hurt. As long as your up for the commitment anything is possible I guess... Starting a serious workout routine is a simple start to the riding side and try and get on the track as many weekends a month as possible.

If you don't already, move to where you have easy access to a track or two...

this advice is from an advanced rider who does it for fun and business :)

Braincrater

I am not doing this for the fame or fortune... I am doing this because it is what I love..   Like I said above, I know that most racers dont make jack for an income but they love what they are doing.

I live in Jacksonville so I am fairly close to Jennings and Daytona.  I already go to Jennings once a month but I am on a very limited budget since I am still in college.  But keep the information coming!

tomholiday

go back to when you were about 2yrs old and start riding then.....
Tim Haley
EX #211

vnvbandit

The way to make a small fortune racing is to.......................................

Start with a large fortune!   ::)
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

Helmsman

well when you find away to make money doing it...let the rest of us know!

Ridgeway

Quote from: Braincrater on July 30, 2008, 04:55:55 PM
I am not doing this for the fame or fortune... I am doing this because it is what I love..   Like I said above, I know that most racers dont make jack for an income but they love what they are doing.

Actually, many racers have a pretty good income, but it comes from our "real" jobs, outside of racing.  Some have found a way to support their hobby by having a business that caters to racers.  Parts fabrication, paint work, suspension tuners, school instruction etc. but often these offset racing expenses, they aren't a primary source of income.

The sad reality is, that unless you started racing at <10 years old, or are a natural phenom, or are really well connected, (preferably all three), the odds that you will be in that top 1% of the top 1% that can pay their bills by riding are pretty stacked against you.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't try, but having a plan B and C would be prudent.

Getting into the business side of things, working for, or starting a business that is involved in racing, would be a more available, and longer term career path.
CCS Midwest EX #18
07 GSX-R600
03 SV650s

mikendzel

Braincrater,
GRADUATE first.  Then use your $100k + salary to finance race schools and track time.  Get as good as you possibly can, and then use previously mentioned, fat salary to build yourself the best bike possible and go win some Daytona Superbike races!!!

The new rules supposedly level the field (so-to-speak) so privateers are in the hunt for cash; and the purses are pretty big. 

Don't let anyone talk you out of it.

123user

Quote from: tomholiday on July 30, 2008, 05:34:18 PM
go back to when you were about 2yrs old and start riding then.....

I wasn't going to say it... but he's right.  Even if your goal is happiness and not winning, you'll be broke and miserable by season 3 unless your hyper-fast.  I mean, like, Ben Spies fast.  Just look at all the guys who are super fast that aren't "makin it"   Opie Caylor's a perfect example-  he's faster than anyone reading this board, but he still couldn't make it. 

However, becoming part of team is admirable and possible if your smart.  You won't be working for Yosh-Suzuki right out of the box.  You'll need to prove what you're capable of- endurance racing is tough on everyone involved.  Either ride or work a couple WERA 6hr races then decide.

Keep in mind that professional teams aren't interested in cocky attitudes or "know-it-all-ism", which is a common flaw among us Engineers.  So if Vesrah suzuki is kind enough to let you care their cooler, check you attitude at the door.

EX_#76

While all of the previous points are very good ones, there is one thing that you should also think about.  Sponsors want to know what you can do for them for their investment.  You do not have to be the fastest person out there if you can find a way to get them air time or some sort of positive advertising.  Ladies do this very well because there is not many girls riding, definitely none that are top level riders, yet the sponsors shell out some cash to them in spite of their finishing positions because the microphone is always placed in front of them.  I am not saying you need to be a woman (but it wouldn't hurt) you need to find a novel and realistic way to promote the sponsors product.

You will need to be a great marketing person to drum up sponsorship by selling your plan to the future sponsor.  You will also need to be great at being interviewed.  Look at John Force, for years now he can go out, have a junky run and get beat, yet he is always interviewed, why? because you never quite know what he is going to say and his enthusiasm for his sport is second to none, and he lets it show when he is interviewed.  The camera people love to interview him because he is entertaining to them and he relates well to the spectators.

But like everyone else said, there are only a few paying seats in motorcycle racing, and it is very difficult not to go bankrupt while you are trying to make it.  The talent pool is way bigger than the seats available, and the best riders do not always get the change, and you will only get one or maybe two chances to prove yourself for those factory seats.  If you are really committed to getting there, GO FOR IT!!!  But be realistic about it, and have life plan "B" ready to execute if you fail.
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

123user

Yes, everything Guy said.  Here's a good sequence of events.

1.  Graduate
2.  Buy a van (and learn to live in it)
3.  Get Insurance
4.  Race

Ducati23

Like anyone on this forum would know outside of Robbie Jensen and Jeff Wood. Be fast as hell, don't be a total tool and be 16~18 years old. Then maybe you can get it done.  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
CCS/ASRA #23
GP SuperTwins Champion 2007 2008
Ducati 848

lil_thorny

Every racer I know that is chasing manufacturer contingency and making a living doing it started out ahead of the game in the monetary department. So unless you have a rich daddy, a trust fund, your own .com million dollar company or a rich wife :) ...I would suggest saving enough money to finance your effort for at least 3 years. The first year as an amateur is a wash but the next two years as an expert are the most important.

As for unique skill...I am not completely sold on this one. I believe that like everything, practice and perseverance  means more than God given natural talent. Yes, starting at a much earlier age will help your brain hone those motor / reflex skills but that will not help you with learning everything about racing and being fast everywhere.

If you ever have the opportunity to pick the brains of the guys who are fast everywhere, they will tell you little if anything to really help you...but...if you keep your mouth shut and just quietly observe what they are doing and then research why they are doing it...then you will learn.

As for sponsors...they want the guys up front to use / wear / display / advertise their shit. Period. If you are on the gas and getting podiums, then put out your resume...if not, don't expect much. If you cannot get on the box, then keep observing and making changes until you do.

The money is not in sponsorship though...the real money is in manufacturer contingency. Stay current with Yamaha or Suzuki and stay in the top 5 all weekend during those paying races and you will end up paying for your weekend which eventually calculates out to making a living doing it!

I kept my mouth shut and quietly observed Jensen for a handful of weekends in 2004 and learned that I wasn't cut out for chasing the dream...but guys like him do exist...albeit a hard ass mf'ing status to get to and don't expect those gentlemen to give up their positions easily.

I ride a Triumph and they don't pay out shit for anything if that tells you what my goals are...it just sounds way cooler than the 4 cyl jap bikes.  :cheers:

8)